TOBBACO USAGE IN SCHOOLS

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

TOBBACO USAGE IN SCHOOLS

Post by vids4ckcrash »

I have never seen this discussed here and if it has been, I apologize.

But Booger Red (boogerred) had this to say in another thread, and I didn't want to hijack.

boogerred wrote:I was told that the use of tobacco products is forbidden for coaches. :mrgreen:

With the new increase of tobaco prices, I am sure many will be quitting. But many will not.

WHAT is the written policy about the usage of tobaco products on SCHOOL GROUNDS and what schools adhere to this policy. Seems like most schools have coaching staff who are using smokeless and I have seen some support staff smoking during games.

If they can go without during a basketball game, why not during a football and/or baseball game. And yeah, I have seen some carry a soda bottle and spit during a BB game.

boogerred
All State

Re: TOBBACO USAGE IN SCHOOLS

Post by boogerred »

I know that in wrestling around 2000, they made it illegal for a coach to be sitting in the corner of his wrestler while using tobacco. The penalty was the deduction of one team point and a warning by the ref, telling the coach to get rid of it or be tossed.

I also remember when i was coaching going to an away game and one of the guys in the press box asked if we needed a cup to spit in. And that was even before I had a dip in. :mrgreen:

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I believe that in West Virginia, it is actually a criminal offense to use tobacco on school property (misdemeanor).

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

From the WV Code:

§16-9A-4. Use of tobacco or tobacco products in certain areas of certain public schools prohibited; penalty.

Every person who shall smoke a cigarette or cigarettes, pipe, cigar or other implement, of any type or nature, designed, used or employed for smoking any tobacco or tobacco product; or who shall use any tobacco product, whether chewing tobacco, snuff or otherwise, in any building or part thereof used for instructional purposes, in any school of this state, as defined in section one, article one, chapter eighteen of this code, or on any lot or grounds actually used for instructional purposes of any such school of this state while such school is used or occupied for school purposes, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished for each offense by a fine of not less than one nor more than five dollars: Provided, That this prohibition shall not be construed to prevent the use of any tobacco or tobacco product in any faculty lounge or staff lounge or faculty office or other area of said public school not used for instructional porposes: Provided, however, That students do not have access thereto: Provided further, That nothing herein contained shall be construed to prevent any county board of education from promulgating rules and regulations that further restrict the use of tobacco or tobacco products, in any form, from any other part or section of any public school building under its jurisdiction.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Its hard to stop tobbaco use on school grounds durring Football games when the police are doing it to.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Its hard to stop tobbaco use on school grounds durring Football games when the police are doing it to.

Very true, very true.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

If I can go a couple of hours without putting a dip in, then every one else can go a couple of hours without smoking.
Whats that say to the students and the community when the police stnd around and smoke when its illegal.

coachb
Freshman Team

Post by coachb »

I've seen an AD's wife smoking at games where I used to attend Football games.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I've seen principals smoking at school events. (And no, not where I teach or where I used to coach)

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

I think its awful.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I think smoking on school grounds should be the rule especially at all games.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Who cares, live your own life and stop trying to run other peoples.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

I dont think you should be able to smoke for obvious reasons but for an adult to not be aloud to throw dip in their mouthes is a little overboard. Never stopped me lol

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

I don't care if one smokes or not, but there are two places my child doesn't have to worry about being exposed to second hand smoke.
Our home and school.
You are not allowed to use tobacco products on school grounds period!!!!!

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Orange and Brown wrote:I don't care if one smokes or not, but there are two places my child doesn't have to worry about being exposed to second hand smoke.
Our home and school.

Yeah :!: :evil: :evil: :evil: You should be allowed to cuss in public either! or, or......Fart!

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

They can set up a designated area for smokers away from the crowd/children as much as possible, but I think the rule states that no tobacco on school grounds... as long as people who are directly involved with the kids (or working), like coaches and cops, are not using tobacco I do not think they are going to be able to stop the fans, etc. from finding a place or way. They probably aren't going to be hassled too much about their dip/chew as long as they have a bottle to properly dispose of it I would assume.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

grizzlynatural wrote:I dont think you should be able to smoke for obvious reasons but for an adult to not be aloud to throw dip in their mouthes is a little overboard. Never stopped me lol

I dont think you should be able to eat fattening foods for obvious reasons but for an adult to not be aloud to throw a cheeze burger or pizza in their mouthes is a little overboard.

See where this is going?

salemcat
JV Team

Post by salemcat »

grizzlynatural wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:I don't care if one smokes or not, but there are two places my child doesn't have to worry about being exposed to second hand smoke.
Our home and school.

Yeah :!: :evil: :evil: :evil: You should be allowed to cuss in public either! or, or......Fart!

Just to let you all know: I will not mind you smoking next to me if you do not mind me lifting my leg and farting on you. One nasty habit deserves another. If I have to smell that disgusting air, then you can smell my disgusting air also.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

salemcat wrote:
grizzlynatural wrote:
Our home and school.

Just to let you all know: I will not mind you smoking next to me if you do not mind me lifting my leg and farting on you. One nasty habit deserves another. If I have to smell that disgusting air, then you can smell my disgusting air also.

:roll: :roll:

Because i've spent the whole thread defending smoking in public places :roll:

I was simply giving Orange and Brown a hard time.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Cleveland Law Library

http://suealtmeyer.typepad.com/clevelan ... s_smo.html

November 08, 2006
Ohio Passes Smoking Ban
Ohioans voted to enact a ban on smoking in public places and places of employment. There are exceptions, including exceptions for private clubs (if the club has no employees), private homes, and family owned and operated businesses where all employees are relatives and the employment area is not open to the public. Issue 5 will enact Ohio Revised Code Chapter 3794.

The Ohio Department of Health is to establish fines for violations. Fines for business owners must be not less than $100 but not more than $2,500. Each day will constitute a separate violation. The schedule of fines will be progressive, based on the number of past violations by the business. A first offense will receive a warning and no fines. Businesses must also post no smoking signs and remove ashtrays. The text of Issue 5 including ORC Ch. 3794 see Issue 5: Proposed Law on the League of Women Voters web page. Sources: Sweeping Prohibition on Smoking is Adopted by Harlan Spector, The Plain Dealer, Nov. 8, 2006. Constitutional Amendments for 2006 , 11/6/06, on the Ohio Legal Research Blog.

The law will become effective in thirty days. See Ohio Constitution, Article 2, Section 1(b); When Are Ballot Initiatives Effective?, Cincinnati Law Library Blog, Nov. 8. 2006. The enforcement date is yet to be decided. The Department of Health must first establish rules for enforcement. See Voters Send a Message: No Ifs, Ands or Butts in Ohio by Harlan Spector, The Plain Dealer, Nov. 9, 2006.

Return to “Football”