2009 SEOAL Previews: Marietta Tigers

distance40
Freshman Team

Re: 2009 SEOAL Previews: Marietta Tigers

Post by distance40 »

From what I've heard and what I've read, I think that this team is going to surprise alot of people this year.
They seem like a team that has the makings for a shock to some of the early season "favorites" and will do quite well in SEOAL play.

Good Luck Tigers

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Marietta and Cambridge had a Jamboree game last night at Don Drumm stadium. As is the case with early season scrimmages it's hard to tell a bunch because you're not sure how good either team is, and you're not sure which personnel will actually be playing in a real game. I'd have to say it was a mixed bag for Marietta. They varsity squads played two quarters under normal game conditions except for punts and kick-offs. The Tiger offense could not get the running game going, but did have some success with the passing game. Grizer looked good catching the ball, but the QBs were a bit inconsistent. Marietta scored a TD when Grizer made a nice INT on Cambridge's 28 yard line. Weppler then made a couple nice passes to get them inside the 5 where they finally drove the ball in on the ground. It seems like Marietta's running game depends on controlling the corners of the line of scrimmage, and Cambridge was able to shut that down pretty nicely. Marietta had a couple turnovers, so that continues to be a problem. On defense Marietta had some success, but did allow Cambridge to drive the ball. Adam Arnold looked very good playing FS and made some nice open field tackles. The good news is he was probably the leading tackler. The bad news is the safety was probably the leading tackler. The Tiger defense is interesting. The 3-5 is an attacking defense, but it seemed like they actually ended up over-pursuing sometimes. Cambridge used play action and "waggle" like passes very effectively all evening. Marietta certainly can't be accused of being UN-creative. Both the offense they are running (direct snaps to the TB, mis-direction, all spread out, etc.) and the 3-5 defense are unusual and will be interesting to watch.

The final score for the scrimmage was: Marietta 7 - Cambridge 13

So, I left feeling like Marietta has a bunch of potential, but that they (like everyone else at this point in the season, I suppose) have to get it together. It kind of seemed sometimes like they were beating themselves more than Cambridge was beating them. I would say at this point that it could go either way for the Tigers. They could improve over last year's performance, or they could struggle to match it.

We'll just have to wait and see . . .

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Very good summary warrenwarriorfan.

Marietta had it inside Cambridge's 15 twice with no points. Had Cambridge in several third and long situations and gave up a few big plays that really hurt them.

Washington Court House should be a great test Friday at Don Drumm...

westbrook18
All State

Post by westbrook18 »

I believe that the skilled players they have this year could be very versatile and effectively run multiple formations. I can see potential in spread option, i-backs, i-pro, etc. The question would be how good of shape they are in, but it sounds like they have been working hard. The different styles of the two potential quarterbacks could offer such a variety of options. And despite not getting the running game going against Cambridge, I believe there is quite a bit of potential there to get things going. I also hope that the line has been working hard, so that the Tigers can use the run to setup the pass. And also be able to pass on unexpected downs.

On the other side of the ball, I like the 3-5 defense and everything I've been hearing seems positive. I think the 5 linebackers will only continue to improve and they seem very promising. It'll be interesting to see how much they play Lance Weppler and Morgan Wynn on defense, but both of them would do a lot of damage. This defense should also protect well against the pass.

But good luck to the Tigers. Seniors, start soaking it in now. Enjoy it while it lasts and don't let any drama do a thing to mess it up. Keep playing until the end, despite the score. You have to realize how limited your time really is, so play hard as much as you can. Don't waste game time. And all of the players who aren't seniors, work as hard as you can to make it not only a good season for you, but also the seniors. You would want that from the class below you as well, so give it everything you have.

air4ce1
Freshman Team

Post by air4ce1 »

any news on how the scrimmage last night went?

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Marietta 13
Court House 0
Team Stats as follows:

TEAM WCH MAR
(VISITOR) (HOME)
First Downs 2 12
--Rushing 0 9
--Passing 2 3