Logan Football

Chieftain
Varsity

Logan Football

Post by Chieftain »

While no one is throwing in the towel, the concern level has hit critical in Logan. While the losing is not acceptable, it is more the way they are losing in demonstrating an ineptitude not tolerated in Logan. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't seen a Logan game since two years ago as Angle led them into the playoffs before graduating. Yet I talk ongoing with several folks in Logan. Heres the points raised --

1. The team clearly lacks discipline, on the field and off. Major red flag.

2. Fundamentals are sadly lacking, i.e., blocking, tackling, etc. Another red flag.

3. Lack of talent is being questioned. The Seniors may not be a strong class, but where are the Jrs. & Sophs. Three classes always offer talent. If seniors are that bad, sit down.

4. Have the coaches used the players to the best of their abilities ? 5-3 D may be good for Amyx, but is it suitable for this year? Offensive strategy ? Formations?

5. Schedule is tough early, but to fall weakly to SEO teams raises another major red flag.

6. The feeder system ( JV, Frosh, etc) using the same O & D doesn't seem to be producing either.

7.Is it a case of a good assistant coach who is in over his head at the top job ?

8. Time to look at the overall program and evaluate. Can't be great every year, but to fail as a D-II program with so many athletes who come thru the system and especially against smaller SEO teams is totally unacceptable. D-I teams may be too tough but D-III to D-V should not be beyond Logan's ability. The competitive level has fallen too far for a D-II program.

The season isn't over yet and expectations are they must finish strong ( or else). But clearly the red flags are out and the 2011 season will go under the microscope. Time for change ? Or are there other factors to consider and for how long ?

indianabuck
All State

Re: Logan Football

Post by indianabuck »

I agree with everything you say. Logan football will return, but you need to question the direction. Do you need to look at the lower levels first, then to the upper lever, or does something need to change at the top first. That the million dollar question. Only the administration, school board and Superintendent can answer that.

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

indianabuck wrote:I agree with everything you say. Logan football will return, but you need to question the direction. Do you need to look at the lower levels first, then to the upper lever, or does something need to change at the top first. That the million dollar question. Only the administration, school board and Superintendent can answer that.
And the administration folks don't want to admit that they made a mistake. I have seen it before, it takes a lot of outside pressure, for changes to happen.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

No they do not want to admit mistakes. That is why I can see changes at the lower levels first, maybe change of coorodinators, but nothing up top until they see a patter of losing year after year.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Paladin_II wrote:While no one is throwing in the towel, the concern level has hit critical in Logan. While the losing is not acceptable, it is more the way they are losing in demonstrating an ineptitude not tolerated in Logan. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't seen a Logan game since two years ago as Angle led them into the playoffs before graduating. Yet I talk ongoing with several folks in Logan. Heres the points raised --

2. Fundamentals are sadly lacking, i.e., blocking, tackling, etc. Another red flag.

3. Lack of talent is being questioned. The Seniors may not be a strong class, but where are the Jrs. & Sophs. Three classes always offer talent. If seniors are that bad, sit down.

4. Have the coaches used the players to the best of their abilities ? 5-3 D may be good for Amyx, but is it suitable for this year? Offensive strategy ? Formations?

5. Schedule is tough early, but to fall weakly to SEO teams raises another major red flag.

6. The feeder system ( JV, Frosh, etc) using the same O & D doesn't seem to be producing either.

7.Is it a case of a good assistant coach who is in over his head at the top job ?

8. Time to look at the overall program and evaluate. Can't be great every year, but to fail as a D-II program with so many athletes who come thru the system and especially against smaller SEO teams is totally unacceptable. D-I teams may be too tough but D-III to D-V should not be beyond Logan's ability. The competitive level has fallen too far for a D-II program.

The season isn't over yet and expectations are they must finish strong ( or else). But clearly the red flags are out and the 2011 season will go under the microscope. Time for change ? Or are there other factors to consider and for how long ?

It seems like every level only has about six plays.--Ok 8
All levels are getting beat the same way in the passing game. The defenders are too close to the line and it is catch up once the ball is in the air.---Why does this happen?
I have never seen so many missed tackels at all levels.
The talent is there but something is keeping them from showing up.
The head coach needs to find coaches that can really coach or step down and let an outsider bring his people in.
One bad game can happen but the same bad things game in and game out.One season of it can be put under the rug but a half of the second year and the samething.
A lot of people mention about leaving the SEOAL--lol--with the way this program is going the TVC will want us so they can have someone to run over.

Someone tell me was Logan beaten by freshman tonight in the JV game or did our freshman last Thursday night get beat by 10th graders. Many of the boys I watch from NY played in the freshman game Thursday. If it is true about what a Trimble poater said about NY holding players back our freshman could have been playing against 11 graders last Thursday.

Maybe Logan could get rid of some of these worthless admin. and find and pay a good coach.
Last edited by noreply66 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

I guess in Logan 10 or 12 year runs of good luck don't matter. Some schools would love to have that . Maybe Dale saw the writing on the wall and he knew what was coming up after those good years he had. Kelly was a great athlete at Logan and will be a good coach but when you don't have the talent it's all a moot point. Most schools go in cycles and some years it wouldn't matter if you had Vince Lombardi coaching, you just can't win consistently. Give him a break and some time. If it doesn't work out in 2 or 3 more years then do something but it will take time in most cases unless you're an open enrollment or parochial/catholic institution with abundant resources and good internal recruiting mechanisms if you know what I mean.

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

BIG BUNCH O WHINING CRYBABIES IN MY OPINION.

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

noreply66 wrote:
Paladin_II wrote:While no one is throwing in the towel, the concern level has hit critical in Logan. While the losing is not acceptable, it is more the way they are losing in demonstrating an ineptitude not tolerated in Logan. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't seen a Logan game since two years ago as Angle led them into the playoffs before graduating. Yet I talk ongoing with several folks in Logan. Heres the points raised --

All levels are getting beat the same way in the passing game. The defenders are too close to the line and it is catch up once the ball is in the air.---Why does this happen?
The head coach needs to find coaches that can really coach or step down and let an outsider bring his people in.
One bad game can happen but the same bad things game in and game out.One season of it can be put under the rug but a half of the second year and the samething.
A lot of people mention about leaving the SEOAL--lol--with the way this program is going the TVC will want us so they can have someone to run over.

Someone tell me was Logan beaten by freshman tonight in the JV game or did our freshman last Thursday night get beat by 10th graders. Many of the boys I watch from NY played in the freshman game Thursday. If it is true about what a Trimble poater said about NY holding players back our freshman could have been playing against 11 graders last Thursday.

Maybe Logan could get rid of some of these worthless admin. and find and pay a good coach.
That statement dont hold water...Iknow if a student getS held back..NO SPORTS AT ALL...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

NY BUCKS wrote:
noreply66 wrote:

That statement dont hold water...Iknow if a student getS held back..NO SPORTS AT ALL...
You seemed to have answered the hold back thing now what about the question about what grade played Thursday and then tonight.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

FANOSPORTS wrote:I guess in Logan 10 or 12 year runs of good luck don't matter. Some schools would love to have that . Maybe Dale saw the writing on the wall and he knew what was coming up after those good years he had. Kelly was a great athlete at Logan and will be a good coach but when you don't have the talent it's all a moot point. Most schools go in cycles and some years it wouldn't matter if you had Vince Lombardi coaching, you just can't win consistently. Give him a break and some time. If it doesn't work out in 2 or 3 more years then do something but it will take time in most cases unless you're an open enrollment or parochial/catholic institution with abundant resources and good internal recruiting mechanisms if you know what I mean.
Winning cures a lot of sins. Losing exposes the warts. It is said success has a thousand fathers but failure is an orphan. Coach Wolfe was quoted in the Logan Daily after the Nelsonville game that he accepts responsibility for the performance of the team and the losing is on him. That is admirable but it also doesn't say much about how Logan is going to get out of this funk. I don't buy it that there is no talent on this team. There is more than enough to be better than 0-5. Playoff talented? No, but they should be competitive. I can't understand why Logan can't be competitive at baseball and basketball. Now the football team is slipping into mediocrity. Only the track program continues to excel (male sports). I feel bad watching this. I feel bad for the kids and for the coaches but the inescapable conclusion is that something is wrong. I'll give you the cycle thing to a point but this is ridiculous. Maybe if certain players were told to clear out their locker instead of getting a wrist slap for transgressions, the rest of the team would take notice, get some respect for authority and respond. One look at the team's body language reveals low morale.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

With Logan turning the ball over like they have they have taken themselves out of close ball games and buried themselves in blow outs.

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

I'll repeat myself. It's the 'Good ole boys' club. BOE, Principals, Coaches are all friends. Just because you can coach pretty good in one sport, doesn't mean you can coach ALL sports. Look at the assistant coaches. Worse defense & special teams I have ever seen. And I have watched Logan football since the early '60's. No one will be 'non renewed'. They are all 'Buds' ....
Last edited by javagt on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

noreply66 wrote:With Logan turning the ball over like they have they have taken themselves out of close ball games and buried themselves in blow outs.
Just remember buddy, it's only about 6 months to track season ...... Let's meet up sometime, somewhere.....

bird78
Varsity

Post by bird78 »

Agree with Fan....think someone seen the writing on the wall......as for the new coach I remember him telling a certain player he wouldn't carry the ball for the JV'S and he sure ate those words back in 06 and 07.............think the new coach also tends to be a friend instead of a coach.....is why their lacking DISCIPLINE this year......all comes back to not starting till late for so-called family time.............not a good idea..........plus the fact that they are still playing far too many kids both ways.......did anyone see the Nelsonville game........they have maybe 2 or 3 kids that played both ways......hmmmm..........and thats a D-V......program.......one of reason that kids don't go out.......Logan plays 11 both ways.......always been that way.....why when playoff time came they had trouble.......

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

javagt wrote:
noreply66 wrote:With Logan turning the ball over like they have they have taken themselves out of close ball games and buried themselves in blow outs.
Just remember buddy, it's only about 6 months to track season ...... Let's meet up sometime, somewhere.....
We can do this

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

FANOSPORTS wrote:I guess in Logan 10 or 12 year runs of good luck don't matter. Some schools would love to have that . Maybe Dale saw the writing on the wall and he knew what was coming up after those good years he had. Kelly was a great athlete at Logan and will be a good coach but when you don't have the talent it's all a moot point. Most schools go in cycles and some years it wouldn't matter if you had Vince Lombardi coaching, you just can't win consistently. Give him a break and some time. If it doesn't work out in 2 or 3 more years then do something but it will take time in most cases unless you're an open enrollment or parochial/catholic institution with abundant resources and good internal recruiting mechanisms if you know what I mean.
Do not give me this crap about talent! Logan has the talent to go at least 5-5. Losing is unacceptable and at Logan we will not put up with 4-5 years of this losing! Both Jackson and Gallia changed coaches 3 years ago and both programs showed major improvment in the coaches 2nd year and Jackson even won a championship! To all concerned we must apply pressure to the Supt and school board! Unless the Chiefs finish at least 5-5 or 4-6 this year I will reorganize my sport committee to start the process of applying pressure for a complete change!

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

NY BUCKS wrote:
noreply66 wrote:

my boy plays fb and has heard the samething. and yes it does hold water. a parent can over ride the school and hold there kid back. even though the kid isnt failing anything thus making it possible for that kid to play. still no excuse for losing to them. on his team they had twice as many boys with many being much bigger then NY. IMO losing to a D5 is as bad as getting blown out by a D5.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I'm surprised no one has brought up the team records of the schools that have beat Logan so far. It's not like Logan is 0-5 and being blown out by bad teams. All five schools Logan has played so far have been really great teams, with three of them undefeated.

I am not familiar with the records of the lower level teams Logan plays at all grade levels, but at least at the varsity level, Logan has played really dominating teams so far.

If the entire program is down top to bottom, I think you have to make corrections at the lowest levels first and then build off of that each year in the upper levels.

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

I keep reading about discipline, or the lack of, and this being the coaches fault,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WRONG......
Discipline starts in the home,,,maybe you should look in the mirror and ask if YOU have done anything for these kids...
We as parents have to take responsibility and do our part so the coaches can do theirs.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I'm surprised no one has brought up the team records of the schools that have beat Logan so far. It's not like Logan is 0-5 and being blown out by bad teams. All five schools Logan has played so far have been really great teams, with three of them undefeated.

I am not familiar with the records of the lower level teams Logan plays at all grade levels, but at least at the varsity level, Logan has played really dominating teams so far.

If the entire program is down top to bottom, I think you have to make corrections at the lowest levels first and then build off of that each year in the upper levels.
Understand this it is the way we loss! Undiscipline football we can not even snap the football with out fumbling the ball. The only team that we competed with was Lancaster. Records NO discipline and conmittment YES! In the real world it is the leader of the team who take the responiblity!

Return to “Football”