top five high school rivals

carbon_dated
All State

Re: top five high school rivals

Post by carbon_dated »

Would have to agree Massillon-McKinley is one people in Ohio think about when they think about rivalries. Heck, I remember my neighbor's kid went to McKinley and he was lucky enough to get to the game (20,000+ fans) and the 50/50 raffle went for something like $12,500... can you imagine walkin' home with that moolah.

I know a fella I work with said any St. Henry game in that MAC conference is a rival. He was working construction out in that county and they shut the entire city down (Dairy Queen's, stores, etc.) on Friday nights.

I mean, c'mon, everyone 'thinks' their team's toughest rival is the best, but if you'd ask anyone from another part of the country and I don't think some guy in Michigan would say, um, Portsmouth-Ironton or Marietta-Parkersburg, or Troy-Piqua, he's thinkin' McKinley-Massillon.

But, it always fun to talk about and it'd be nice to see the entire list one day of the state's oldest.

gogrove9
JV Team

Post by gogrove9 »

fuzzhead wrote:
gogrove9 wrote:CG's top rival has to be Rock Hill why else would there be a picture of it in the local Giovanni's!!

Rock Hill is NOT and I repeat IS NOT Coal Grove's biggest rival. Look at the all-time series record and tell me that it's a "rivalry". This game traditionally has merely been a stepping stone for Coal Grove en route to an OVC Championship or a season-salvaging win for Rock Hill.
South Point/Coal Grove has more OVC implications than any other matchup, traditionally. . . and there's plenty of bad blood.

From 1954 to 1992, Coal Grove was 31-6 against Rock Hill. The only reason people made a rivalry game out of this was because Coal Grove's record slipped against the Redmen in the 90s. But rather than just say that and get back to business as usual, we have to make some big, drawn-out thing over it. Yawn. Boring. Get real Coal Grove fans. You're SUPPOSED to beat Rock Hill. Quit acting like it's some great accomplishment.
From '93 to the '08, the series sits at 9-7 in favor of Coal Grove. REALLY something to be proud of. . . :roll:

I just thought it would be the team that would make you rather die than let beat you. I didn't realize it was based on records.

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

not in any order

NY vs Trimble
Logan vs Jackson
Ironton vs Portsmouth
Massilion vs Mckinley
Logan vs Ironton

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

55Buckeyes98 wrote:1. NY vs. the TVC Ohio (everyone hates NY in the Ohio)
2. NY vs. Trimble

Not everyone hates ny. Most just hate some of nys [NO NOTHING LOUD MOUTH FANS]

atleast thats what i have heard

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

^^^^What he said^^^^^ ;-)

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

gogrove9 wrote:I just thought it would be the team that would make you rather die than let beat you. I didn't realize it was based on records.

It should be a disgrace to get beat by Rock Hill if you play for Coal Grove. Don't make it a rivalry!!! That's what Rock Hill wants you to do. They WANT you to think that their football program is as good as Coal Grove's and that this is some kind of all-Ohio showdown. A loss to Rock Hill is just as bad as losing to Green or River Valley. You know you've had a bad season if you let Rock Hill or River Valley beat you, right? Don't get sucked into this crap, gogrove9. It's not a big deal. . . and don't let ANYONE tell you it is.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

fuzzhead wrote:
gogrove9 wrote:I just thought it would be the team that would make you rather die than let beat you. I didn't realize it was based on records.

It should be a disgrace to get beat by Rock Hill if you play for Coal Grove. Don't make it a rivalry!!! That's what Rock Hill wants you to do. They WANT you to think that their football program is as good as Coal Grove's and that this is some kind of all-Ohio showdown. A loss to Rock Hill is just as bad as losing to Green or River Valley. You know you've had a bad season if you let Rock Hill or River Valley beat you, right? Don't get sucked into this crap, gogrove9. It's not a big deal. . . and don't let ANYONE tell you it is.

It must be. You seem pretty upset about it.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

DILLIGAF wrote:
55Buckeyes98 wrote:1. NY vs. the TVC Ohio (everyone hates NY in the Ohio)
2. NY vs. Trimble

Not everyone hates ny. Most just hate some of nys [NO NOTHING LOUD MOUTH FANS]

atleast thats what i have heard

Ok maybe hate is not the word, but everyone in the Ohio except maybe Alex in football has NY as one of their biggest games of the year if not their #1 rival.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Orange and Brown wrote:It must be. You seem pretty upset about it.

No, no! Not at all. Rock Hill shouldn't be treated any differently than anyone else. I just get upset when I attend this game and Coal Grove fans treat it like the OSU/UM game. I got upset when I attended Coal Grove's graduation in 07 and several of the people graduating mentioned beating Rock Hill 21-0. So you beat Rock Hill. . . BIG DEAL - you're supposed to. Beat South Point. Beat Fairland. Beat Minford, for crying out loud.
:roll:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

fuzzhead wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:It must be. You seem pretty upset about it.

No, no! Not at all. Rock Hill shouldn't be treated any differently than anyone else. I just get upset when I attend this game and Coal Grove fans treat it like the OSU/UM game. I got upset when I attended Coal Grove's graduation in 07 and several of the people graduating mentioned beating Rock Hill 21-0. So you beat Rock Hill. . . BIG DEAL - you're supposed to. Beat South Point. Beat Fairland. Beat Minford, for crying out loud.
:roll:

Well.. Who cares. If it means something to them then good for them.
I think some one forgot to tell them they were supposed to ask you first.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Orange and Brown wrote:Well.. Who cares. If it means something to them then good for them.
I think some one forgot to tell them they were supposed to ask you first.

I think I hear the inspirational music from 'Rudy' building up behind that post. :roll:
I've said it on here before and now I'll say it again: if you're content with mediocrity, that's what you'll get. That's the big problem with OVC fans.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Sorry its not even close guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEGi1Vr7kjY

THE G.O.A.T.
Freshman Team

Post by THE G.O.A.T. »

In Southern Ohio...

1. Portsmouth vs. Ironton
2. Portsmouth West vs. Wheelersburg
3. Wheelersburg vs. Ironton
4. Portsmouth West vs. Portsmouth
5. Rockhill vs. Coal Grove

on high top
Waterboy

Post by on high top »

this senior group at coal grove. has never lost to rock hill since they started playing in the 3rd grade. not much of a rivalry.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

on high top wrote:this senior group at coal grove. has never lost to rock hill since they started playing in the 3rd grade. not much of a rivalry.

Thank you for bringing that up, high top.

Coal Grove/South Point is the bigger rivalry.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Biggest rivalry in the MVL is Sheridan vs New Lex & Philo vs Crooksville is next.

gymrat
Riding the Bench

Post by gymrat »

In no particular order...
These are THE rivalries in SEO.
No one else post after this.
This is THE list.
I am right.
Just Kidding.
You guys can post still.
But I AM RIGHT

Portsmouth-Chilli
Porsmouth-Ironton
Jackson-Wellston
Sheridan-New Lex
Jackson-Gahs
West-Wheelersburg
Waverly-Valley
Waverly-Piketon
Chilli-Logan (lately)
Ironton-Wheelersburg

There you have it. The best list ever. If I left something off then it isnt a rivalry...unless I left off one that IS a rivalry and then I'm sorry.

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

1. Portsmouth vs Ironton 114 gms PHS-56, Ironton-51, and 7 ties(without a doubt)
2. Portmouth vs Chilly 64 gms PHS-42, Chilly 21, and 1 tie
3. Portsmouth vs WBurg 27 gms PHS-11, WBurg - 16
4. Portsmouth vs West 25 gms PHS-18, WEST - 7
5. Ironton vs WBurg
6. West vs WBurg

These stats are based on the PHS football program. WBurg is the only rival that holds a winning record against PHS.
Last edited by BigTime on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Here are the top 10 in my opinion.
1.Portsmouth-Ironton (The biggest, oldest, and best.)
2.Ironton-Burg (Big time hard hitting, can set tone for season.)
3.Burg- West ( with this game week 10 it's as close to a conference championship that you will see in high school)
4.Portmsouth-Burg (As I said, this game lost something being moved to week 3 but it's still huge.)
5.Portsmouth- West (Cross town rivalry with big playoff implications.)
6. Logan-Gallia ( 2 original SEOAL schools going at it0
7. Notre Dame- East (SOC 1 football at its best, given a little love to the small schools.)
8. Logan-Jackson ( Anther great battle between 2 original SEOAL teams.
9.Portsmouth- Chillicothe (Long standing rivalry now with SEOAL implications.
10. Burg- Minford ( Heated up the last few years, huge for SOC 2)

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:Here are the top 10 in my opinion.
1.Portsmouth-Ironton (The biggest, oldest, and best.)
2.Ironton-Burg (Big time hard hitting, can set tone for season.)
3.Burg- West ( with this game week 10 it's as close to a conference championship that you will see in high school)
4.Portmsouth-Burg (As I said, this game lost something being moved to week 3 but it's still huge.)
5.Portsmouth- West (Cross town rivalry with big playoff implications.)
6. Logan-Gallia ( 2 original SEOAL schools going at it0
7. Notre Dame- East (SOC 1 football at its best, given a little love to the small schools.)
8. Logan-Jackson ( Anther great battle between 2 original SEOAL teams.
9.Portsmouth- Chillicothe (Long standing rivalry now with SEOAL implications.
10. Burg- Minford ( Heated up the last few years, huge for SOC 2)

I wouldn't go so far as to call Logan and GHS rivals.

Return to “Football”