Notre Dame 2009

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

Notre Dame 2009

Post by Faclons Forever »

I heard they've got a great coaching staff and a talented group that has been working extremely hard, but with their schedule this year how will they fare?

gwell
Freshman Team

Re: Notre Dame 2009

Post by gwell »

You have heard correctly.

Indian till death
Waterboy

Post by Indian till death »

Anybody heard anything on Afrincentric Early College?
... I've never heard of that school, but if it's an "early college" then that should mean prep school boys and that should mean softies.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Indian till death wrote:Anybody heard anything on Afrincentric Early College?
... I've never heard of that school, but if it's an "early college" then that should mean prep school boys and that should mean softies.

Africentric is an all African-American Prep school. The school has only existed about 5 or 6 years (I think). They seem to have a good basketball program (they made the state title game in 05), and their football program, which has only existed for two years, seems to advancing along nicely (3-7 in 07 to 5-5 in 08). Also numbers are up, so that could mean a better record this year.
I think that Notre Dame will go 5-5. Also prep schools doesn't nessessarliy equal softy, ask St. X or Elder...

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

Thanks for the info, Tobias

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

ITD, i don't know that I'd be calling a prep school softies. I mean didn't Notre Dame beat Valley out of their last SOC championship?

Indian till death
Waterboy

Tobias wrote:
Indian till death wrote:Anybody heard anything on Afrincentric Early College?

Watch these videos of their stud, Tajh Jones (#2)...do you have anybody who plays like him at Valley?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruitin ... lays-43188

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruitin ... IAOiNkTKN4

They were a Division 6 team (in Region 24) in 2008. They will become a Division 5 school (in Region 20) in 2009.

http://www.joeeitel.com

Africentric Secondary School 2008 (5-5)

8/22 H Cedarville (2-8) [6:24] W 34-7
8/29 A Centennial (0-10) [2:7] W 38-0
9/5 H Timken (3-7) [2:7] W 34-7
9/12 A West (2-8) [2:7] W 32-21

9/22 A Marion-Franklin (9-1) [2:7] L 8-48
9/26 H Independence (7-3) [2:7] L 24-47

10/3 H South Urban Academy (0-10) [3:12] W 57-0
10/10 H Walnut Ridge (6-4) [2:7] L 6-28
10/17 A Briggs (4-6) [2:7] L 6-30
10/24 H Eastmoor Academy (9-1) [3:12] L 6-57

School website:

http://www.columbus.k12.oh.us/cas/

Yes, Tobias thank you very much for all that... but as for anybody at valley who plays like him... i just dont think anyone can match that speed!

Indian till death
Waterboy

Faclons Forever wrote:ITD, i don't know that I'd be calling a prep school softies. I mean didn't Notre Dame beat Valley out of their last SOC championship?

Yes, in 2001 we lost the SOC 1 title game to the Notre Dame Titans, but I wouldn't call them a prep school for they don't prepare you for college like an early college school or academy.

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

Indian till death wrote:
Faclons Forever wrote:ITD, i don't know that I'd be calling a prep school softies. I mean didn't Notre Dame beat Valley out of their last SOC championship?

Yes, in 2001 we lost the SOC 1 title game to the Notre Dame Titans, but I wouldn't call them a prep school for they don't prepare you for college like an early college school or academy.

I guess that's true, but Notre Dames about the closest thing you get to a prep school around here.

Indian till death
Waterboy

Tobias wrote:http://www.columbus.k12.oh.us/cas/mission.html

Our Mission at the Columbus Africentric School is to develop an African-centered holistic education system for students, parents, staff, and community addressing the needs of the total self with the use of Ma'at and the Nguzo Saba as our guide

Ma'at, the dynamic principles of Right, Truth, and Justice was the source of harmony with self, universe, and the Creator. Eqyptian men and women knew that they must practice the Declarations in everyday life if at death they hoped to be divinely judged and successfully enter the Afterlife. The seven principles of Ma'at include:

Truth: Congruous in thought, words, and deeds.
Justice: Always showing balance in everything you do.
Righteousness: Acting in accord with Divine Law.
Reciprocity: What you give, you shall receive.
Balance: The scales must be equal on all sides.
Harmony: Making sure you are in accordance with nature.
Order: To put persons or things into their proper places in relation to each other.

The Nguzo Saba

The way people live is really determined by the value system to which they are exposed. Maulana Karenga, a Black Nationalist and Founder of the U.S. Organization, is a strong advocate of this belief and, in his efforts to redirect African people to adopt positive goals, he has developed a Black value system called the Nguzo Saba. The Nguzo Saba is based on customs and traditions of African societies and is, as Karenga states, "a weapon, a shield, and a pillow of peace." The Nguzo Saba consists of seven principles, which embrace both spiritual and scientific concepts.

The seven principles of the Nguzo Saba are:

UMOJA (Unity): To strive for and maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race.

KUJICHAGULIA (Self-Determination): To define ourselves, name ourselves, and speak for ourselves instead of being defined and spoken for by others.

UJIMA (Collective Work and Responsibility): To build and maintain our community together and to make our brothers' and sisters' problems our problems and to solve them together.

UJAMA (Cooperative Economics): To build and maintain our own stores, shops, and to profit from them together.

NIA (Purpose): To make as our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.

KUUMBA (Creativity): To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than when we inherited it.

IMANI (Faith): To believe with all our heart in our parents, our teachers, our people and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.

TOBIAS DOES HIS RESEARCH! HAHAHA
But this sounds like an African cult to me! I don't think those Catholic boys are ready for some crazy cultic kids from Columbus.

Indian till death
Waterboy

Faclons Forever wrote:
Indian till death wrote:

I guess that's true, but Notre Dames about the closest thing you get to a prep school around here.

Agreed. But after all this discussion, I'd say we can rule that Africentric has a good football club. Or do you guys think Tajh #2 just all they've got?

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Judging from looking at their schedules from previous years, it seems like they play pretty tough schedules against pretty big teams and they win the games they're supposed to win and lose the games they're supposed to lose. 0-9 in 2005 :shock:

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

I'd say they have an improving club, judging by their past records, and I don't know; It's hard to judge a team by looking at one player's highlight film. That's definitely a game I'm gonna try to make.

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

fuzzhead wrote:Judging from looking at their schedules from previous years, it seems like they play pretty tough schedules against pretty big teams and they win the games they're supposed to win and lose the games they're supposed to lose. 0-9 in 2005 :shock:

Wow! That's some serious improvement over such a short time. I know they made the playoffs two years ago. What do you think the chances are this year?

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Faclons Forever wrote:Wow! That's some serious improvement over such a short time. I know they made the playoffs two years ago. What do you think the chances are this year?

They didn't make the playoffs two years ago. . . I don't think they ever have.

2005: 0-9

2006: 4-6 D5, R19

2007: 3-7 D6, R24

2008: 5-5 D6, R24

Yeah, it looks to me like they're definitely improving. Look at their schedules - in '08, for example, they played a D6 team and from then on they played no one smaller than D3. Most of these teams were awful (including an 0-10 team).
If I were a betting man, I'd say they'll more than likely beat ND by multiple scores.

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

fuzzhead wrote:
Faclons Forever wrote:Wow! That's some serious improvement over such a short time. I know they made the playoffs two years ago. What do you think the chances are this year?

They didn't make the playoffs two years ago. . . I don't think they ever have.

2005: 0-9

2006: 4-6 D5, R19

2007: 3-7 D6, R24

2008: 5-5 D6, R24

Yeah, it looks to me like they're definitely improving. Look at their schedules - in '08, for example, they played a D6 team and from then on they played no one smaller than D3. Most of these teams were awful (including an 0-10 team).
If I were a betting man, I'd say they'll more than likely beat ND by multiple scores.

I was talking about ND improving, not Africentric, but I see that you were talking about them. They've had some decent improvement as well. I think the Titans have an outside shot at getting into the playoffs, but they have Greenup, Africentric, Bishop Rosecrans, Oak Hill, and East, who say otherwise. I'd say if they pull off three, maybe two upsets on these teams and win the rest, which should be givens, they get into the playoffs.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Symmes Valley will be pretty tough too.. ..

s.v.vikinglinex2
Varsity

Post by s.v.vikinglinex2 »

thank you fuzz

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

Tobias wrote:There are no "gimmees" on the ND schedule for 2009.

Each team that ND faces this year will be capable of defeating the Titans unless ND is prepared to play.

2008 records and regions for 2009 opponents:

Marion Catholic (2-8) [6:24] W 38-16
Greenup County, KY (3-8) [Div 2 equivalent] Did not play
Africentric (5-5) [6:24] Did not play
Bishop Rosecrans (6-5) [6:23] L 6-20
South Gallia (2-8) [6:23] W 35-6
Manchester (0-10) [6:24] W 54-30
Oak Hill (7-3) [5:19] L 2-34
Green (2-7) [6:24] W 36-12
Symmes Valley (5-5) [6:23] W 26-20
Sciotoville Community School (9-2) [6:24] L 6-40

I definitely agree. I just think that the games I listed would be the toughest and I would definitely count ND as underdogs in these. However, my cousin and I talked at Church Sunday and he doesn't seem to have any doubts. Whether the rest of the team feels this way, I have no idea. There are games that I think should be gimmees, but each week ND must prepare as if they're about to play the hardest game of their lives.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I didn't say ALL of Africentric's opponents were awful. . . most of them had losing records.

I have all the respect in the world for Coach McKnight; he and my mom graduated together and I've met him several times. I just don't think they'll win this game is all.

Return to “Football”