Did the storm damage the new portsmouth athletic complex?

knowledge
All Conference

Did the storm damage the new portsmouth athletic complex?

Post by knowledge »

any info? I would hate to see it be detrimental to the new state of the art complex.

battlecats
JV Team

Re: Did the storm damage the new portsmouth athletic complex?

Post by battlecats »

we didnt really have to much wind in portsmouth just some heavy rain so i would say itll be fine.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Ok now that Portsmouth complex is fine, what about Minford, Valley or Burg football fields? I know that those towns got hit the worst.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I know it hit burgs little league baseball fields, and they are close to the football fields.

Tobias ,has posted pictures on the baseball forum.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

I know there was about 4 feet of water down by Spartan Stadium and what looked like a big carp being sucked down the drain!

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

I was told that the new minford little league fields and jr high football field took a big hit from this...

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Heard that too about Minford JR High field and the Little League Fields, but drove by the high school field. No damage done, with the exception of an electric pole between the track and the bus garage is seriously leaning. Needs replaced, but other than that, good to go.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I live right across the street from the Burg Little League fields and let me tell you it was very nasty up there for about 25 minutes or so. I have never in my life seen it rain that hard. There are trees in the old grade school lot that aren't even 100 feet from my front door and there were times I couldn't see them out the front window of my house because of the sheets of rain and the wind. There was one time though that I looked out and I'm sure it was debris from the dugouts and the ballfields that was going across the lot where the school used to be and it wasn't rolling along like it was being pushed by the wind, it was spinning in a circular pattern and I'm sure that was the tornado as it passed right in front of my house. It was a very scary storm to ride out, that's for sure.

Luckily, we didn't sustain any structural damage to our house at all. The only thing we had damaged was when our table under the breezeway flew out and hit my wifes car and scratched and dented the hood. We did have water come in through the two windows on the side of the house that was facing the storm just because there was too much water for the windows to drian it back to the outside, so it came over the sash and into the house. We saw it right as it was happening and laid down a bunch of towels so nothing got ruined. My house and my two neighbors houses, one beside me and one directly behind me, looked like islands for about an hour after the storm passed because of the backed up storm drains and the rising waters. I ended up with almost a foot of water in my crawl space and my pool was almost overflowing the top and it had been at least down 6 inches or more from the top before the storm. Our power was off until today around noon.

My father in law wasn't as lucky as a tree fell onto his house and did some damage and snapped his electric line, phone line, and cable. He also had about 3 or 4 feet of water in his basement since he has no power and his sump pump isn't working, so I'm sure his furnace and water heater will be shot. My mother and father also lost a tree that came down on their neighbors car, but luckliy just the top of the tree hit the car and it didn't even scratch it.

It was definitely a nasty storm and I hope we don't see another one like it for a very long time.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

talked to a guy at the burg fields today,and he said the insurane is not going to pay for any damage, said they dont over wind damage,and said they told them this was wind damage and not a tornado :122246

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I know what I saw and I'll stick to it. If that wasn't a tornado I saw going across that lot I'll eat my hat. My neighbor said he saw the same thing and he gathered his wife and young son and hid in their hall closet. I also saw were they had alreay classified this as being an FI tornado with 94 mph winds that went through Wheelersburg. Anyway, is a tornado classified as "wind damage"?

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

...STRAIGHT-LINE WIND DAMAGE CONFIRMED IN WHEELERSBURG OHIO...

LOCATION...WHEELERSBURG IN SCIOTO COUNTY OHIO
DATE...JULY 11 2009
ESTIMATED TIME...454 PM
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...94 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...2 MILES
PATH LENGTH...5 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...38.7545 N / 82.8415 W
ENDING LAT/LON...38.7111 N / 82.8171 W

THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO
CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT AND PUBLICATION IN NWS
STORM DATA.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS CONFIRMED STRAIGHT-LINE WIND
DAMAGE IN WHEELERSBURG. AN ESTIMATED 600 TREES WERE DOWNED OR
UPROOTED ALONG THE 5 MILE LENGTH. A HORSE BARN ROOF WAS TORN OFF
WITH ANOTHER BARNS ROOF PARTIALLY DAMAGED AT THE INTERSECTION OF
HAMMERSTEIN AND LANG SLOCUM ROAD. BASEBALL DUGOUTS WERE DAMAGED
ALONG WITH A TOTAL OF ABOUT 6 BARNS PARTIALLY DESTROYED. DAMAGE
INDICATES WIND SPEEDS ESTIMATED AT 94 MPH...WHICH IS CONSISTENT
WITH THE DAMAGE OF A LOW-END EF-1 TORNADO. IN ADDITION TO THIS
DAMAGE...A LARGE NUMBER OF TREES WERE UPROOTED OR DOWNED ACROSS
THE EASTERN PART OF THE COUNTY.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

http://wsaz.mycapture.com/mycapture/pho ... ID=0&Sort=
And here is a picture of the straight line winds :?: I saw the same thing with my own eyes ,save your hat BG :122245

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I know what I saw and what I saw was debris being taken across the field in front on my house in a rotating fashion, not being pushed along by straight line winds where it would have just been rolling or being blown along. My neighbor said he saw the same thing. I saw the same board spin around in a tight circle several times as it moved across the field. The NOAA wasn't within 100 feet of it, I was.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I bet the insurance company isnt arguing with it much.

my cousin lives over in south shore and they said they saw what appeared to be a funnel cloud in the burg also.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

You don't have to have a funnel for the storm to be considered a tornado.......a tornado is the rotating wind, not the funnel........a funnel merely outlines a tornadic wind.........funnels sometimes get a much better outline because of the debris and dust they pick up.........

A 94 MPH wind is 20 MPH stronger than a minimal hurricane........which starts at 74 MPH........at my house there were four or five 50-70 foot trees uprooted and another tree was toppled over the driveway..........some of the damage I saw around the county appeared to be the work of a tornado........but I am not a meteorologist........regardless, a 94 MPH wind packs a big punch, as we saw.

As Burg Grad said, he was there.......the NOAA wasn't...........

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

What's really funny about this is a NWS guy stopped by and talked to us about 15 or 20 minutes after it finally quit raining and both my neighbors on both sides of me and I told this man what we saw and that we thought it was a tornado because of the way the debris was rotating as it moved across the field and he wrote that down in a little book and then moved on up the block, stopping and talking to folks as he went. I talked to my new neighbor who just moved into the house where Alabama Mike had lived and he said that he was watching the storm as it came across the field right before it got real bad and that he saw a funnel cloud drop down out of the wall cloud and then get sucked right back up before it touched down. I still believe a tornado touched down in the lot where the school used to be and I always will no matter what the NWS or the NOAA says. I know what I saw.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

I seen the score board today for the 1st time. I guess it suffered the worst at Ed Miller. Nothing that can't be repaired I'd say, but still damaged!

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Tobias wrote:Here is the picture that appears to be a tornado...

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/50544937.html

THIS WAS TAKEN FROM COMFORT IN IN WHEELERSBURG, OH. ON 7-12-09.
TERI SMITH

if that isn't a tornado then i don't know what is. here is a link to some pics me and my fiancee took after the storm

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... Id=2484937

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

trojandave wrote:You don't have to have a funnel for the storm to be considered a tornado.......a tornado is the rotating wind, not the funnel........a funnel merely outlines a tornadic wind.........funnels sometimes get a much better outline because of the debris and dust they pick up.........

A 94 MPH wind is 20 MPH stronger than a minimal hurricane........which starts at 74 MPH........at my house there were four or five 50-70 foot trees uprooted and another tree was toppled over the driveway..........some of the damage I saw around the county appeared to be the work of a tornado........but I am not a meteorologist........regardless, a 94 MPH wind packs a big punch, as we saw.

As Burg Grad said, he was there.......the NOAA wasn't...........

i agree. we know what we seen. the NOAA don't. me personally i didn't see a funnel cloud but that don't mean anything at all.

here is some damage to my street. the rain and wind washed part of the hillside in my neighbors yard away

here is a pic of a tree down near my brothers house.

only in the burg will you see somethin like this. here is a couch that was carried from behind the fire dept

Return to “Football”