TROJANS 2009

BigTime
JV Team

TROJANS 2009

Post by BigTime »

Well it's football season and I couldn't be happier. What are everyone's expectations for this years team. And who are some of the players we should be looking for the breakout this year.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Re: TROJANS 2009

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Who do we have for scrimmages this year? Logan Elm and Valley like normal?
What about the jamboree game?

Where and what dates and times for all.

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

I heard that we were going to scrimmage Minford and Valley. I haven't heard anything about being in a jamboree.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

When and Where?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Not going to make game by game predictions, but I think the Trojans can go 7-3 and make the playoffs. It won't be easy, navigating our way through the SEOAL, and with a good non-conference schedule, but with the number of kids we have coming back, I feel very optimistic about the 2009 season.

I look for at least half of the games to be decided by a touchdown or less.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Minford and Valley is corect.

Logan Elm is no longer :?

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I assume both games are away, but what date and time? Also are they having the Trojan Sweepstakes this year after the Valley game? If so when do they start selling tickets?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I do know both games are away,,not sure of the dates,and not sure about the sweepstakes

pan-man
Freshman Team

Post by pan-man »

i have the trojans going 6-4(maybe), having played with them myself. That is just how i see the season turing out for them. GOOD LUCK TROJANS

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Heres my predictions:

8/21 South Point: Win
8/29 West: Loss
9/4 Burg: Loss
9/11 Jackson: Win
9/18 Chilli: Win
9/25 Gallia: Win
10/2 Warren: Loss
10/9 Ironton: Loss
10/16 Marietta: Win
10/23 Western Brown: Loss

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I would like to see at least 7 wins, and I know it is going to be tough, but, possible.

there is no gimmes on the shedule,,,and we talked to coah triplett today, he is very ec ited about what he has,,,,,says they are young, "said he would play about 7 or 8 sophmores"

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

Heres my predictions:

8/21 South Point: Win
8/29 West: ????
9/4 Burg: ????
9/11 Jackson: Win
9/18 Chilli: Win
9/25 Gallia: Win
10/2 Warren: Win
10/9 Ironton: ????
10/16 Marietta: Win
10/23 Western Brown: Win

I think Portsmouth will be a favorite in 7 of their game this year. The other 3 would be a coin toss. I believe 7-3 and possibly 8-2 this year for the Trojans. They have the skill players to get it done. It all comes down to the line play on both sides of the ball. If Myers has time to throw, I don't think Malone, Royster, and Simpson can all three be covered. Those 3 are equal if not better than any combination of 3 receivers in the area. I also think we will run the ball much better this year to setup the passing game. So, O-Line if you hold up this will be a playoff year. GO TROJANS

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I may be wrong, but I thought I sen Wayne Evans lining up as a reciever also?

he could very well be the fastest kid on the team,,and a great athlete

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Found out yesterday that OHSAA Commissioner Dan Ross is supposed to be at our brand new Trojan Coliseum for the West game.

Biggdowgg is right about Wayne Evans.......this sophomore is a stud who will make plays.......I would love to see him as a safety also........I also would like to know how we will use sophomore Mason Jordan.......he is about 6-2 or 6-3, and very athletic.......I hope he's not just a backup QB.

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

biggdowgg wrote:I may be wrong, but I thought I sen Wayne Evans lining up as a reciever also?

he could very well be the fastest kid on the team,,and a great athlete

biggdowgg you are correct about wayne evans. wayne is a very good athlete and will be a huge asset to this team. has anyone been able to see any of the practices this year. if so how have things looked and who is looking good right now. i know myers has been tied up with baseball. i hope this doesn't effect the timing with the team. i know the more reps he gets with his receivers and backs the better off they will be.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I have not seen any practices,,,the one I went to, I was told that the construction company still had control of the property and no one would be permitted to go inside and watch untill they turned it over to the school "after all the fence seperates the construction that is still going on, I suppose?",and Im not sure if they have turned it over yet.

I did go to the 7 on 7, at Valley when Wellston was there,and I was very Imppressed with what I sen.....Myers was at this meeting .

BigSlowWhiteGuy
Riding the Bench

Post by BigSlowWhiteGuy »

I think last years schedule ended up a little tougher than most people expected. West and Western Brown had undefeated regulars seasons. The Burg was 9-1 and Chilli and Ironton both made the playoffs. I don't think we'll get off any easier this year. I agree that there will be a lot of tight games. Our performance in tight games lately hasn't been very good. If we win a few more of them we could win 6 games, if not, it could be another long season. My prediction, optimistic, 6-4.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Close game losses last year for the Trojans:

Lost 7-0 at Gallia Academy
Lost 9-7 at Warren
Lost by less than a TD at Jackson (21-16?)....PHS had the lead with a minute to go

0-3 in games decided by less than a TD........our 1-9 record could have been 4-6

Close games are often decided by the kicking game, and I hope that the Trojans are improved in this area. I, too, see a lot of close games for PHS so field position will be critical in the 4th quarter.

West, Wheelersburg, and Ironton will be the big computer point games on Portsmouth's schedule this year......none of these teams will go worse than 8-2......winning all 3 of these games or at least 2 of 3 will give the Trojans a good computer standing in Region 15. I would have to think they would definitely be in the top 8.........

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

Post by trojanofthepast »

I think a lot of people feel this group has always been over rated. I totally disagree, they have very good athletes in this group. I think they will go from 1-9 to the playoffs this year. People think that's crazy, but I use the West team over the last 2 years as an example. They were terrible 2 years ago and went undefeated last year. Hard work and some growing payed off for West in their turnaround. I think the exact same thing will happen to the Trojans. The young guys took their lumps last year. They have grown and have worked their tails off in the weight room this off season. The turn around starts with S.Point and ends in the playoffs. I think 7-3 or 8-2 is very possible. Mark it down now, playoffs are on there way for the Trojans.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

you can now go inside the new coomplex to watch practice 8)

Return to “Football”