Favorite Stadiums/Atmospheres as a Player or Fan

OVCfan
Freshman Team

Favorite Stadiums/Atmospheres as a Player or Fan

Post by OVCfan »

What are some of your Favorite Stadiums and Atmospheres in Southern Ohio? Memories as a Player or Fan?

Traditions that you thought were pretty cool.

Let's hear some of them.....

osu 77
All State

Re: Favorite Stadiums/Atmospheres as a Player or Fan

Post by osu 77 »

The new Portsmouth stadium will be a nice place to play.

I heard they were opening up the Stadium Saturday night with Portsmouth West. What a great way to open up your new football stadium.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

There is nothing like Boston field on a Friday night!!!!!!!!

Lungbuster
JV Team

Post by Lungbuster »

No offence organge and brown, but Boston Feild isnt anything special. yeah it has turf, but thats not a big deal anymore. The atmosphere isnt that great either. You dont get enough energy from the fans with them being 50 ft from the feild itself.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Of course I love the Rock, because it was my home field for 4 years, but two stadiums I enjoyed playing on that had a good playing surface and atmosphere were Minford's and Rock Hill's

BigDintigertown775
Freshman Team

Post by BigDintigertown775 »

1989 Old Ohio Stadium before the renovation state championship game Ironton vs Campbell Memorial.The old turf there was like old worn out green front porch turf stretched over a wore out pad and ashpalt. When u fell on that stuff the wrong way it knocked your breathe out. But it was a great atmosphere. There is nothing like The Tank on Friday night. With the old lights. It was a little darker but it made the atmosphere great. Especially in a big game or rivalry. When u are in the locker room under the stadium getting ready to run out on the field you can hear the fans stomping there feat of the wood floors and the band playing. YOU FEEL LIKE RUNNING THROUGH A BRICK WALL!!!!!!!!! When u run out on the field u r looking at the visiting team that just ran out on the field before u and they look stunned like they are already 14 points down. You make the turn facing THE TANK AND YOUR FANS UP SCREAMING AND CHEERING!!!!!! You jump on the pile of teammates ALL FIRED UP!!!!!! ITS GAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Lungbuster wrote:No offence organge and brown, but Boston Feild isnt anything special. yeah it has turf, but thats not a big deal anymore. The atmosphere isnt that great either. You dont get enough energy from the fans with them being 50 ft from the feild itself.

Yea, No offence taken.

NY has the best fans in the TVC hands down. Ny fans are loud and proud!!!!!!!

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Renovations and new stadiums seem to me to sterilize some of the atmosphere that just seem to exist in the older venues.

As a player, opponents fields that had great atmosphere: Boston Field before the renovations, the old field at Vinton County with fans sitting on the bank in front of the school, Meig's field in Pomeroy with the hillside, Spartan Stadium in Portsmouth, Magnolia, WV,

As a coach: The Tank, The Hilltop (Logan, even though it would ruin your shoes), C.H. Jones field in Wellston, The old field in Jackson with the fans right on top of you, Hillsboro's (built into the hillside)

Of course my all-time favorite field is Glouster Memorial Stadium, I love it for all of the reasons that everyone else hates it. It's old, run down, crumbling, too small, the locker rooms are horrible, the press box is closer to the size of a shoe box, the crows nests, and the only place that I can think of with the scoreboard right at midfield. But that field has seen Paul Culver, Ed Bolin, Billy McClelland, Kevin Meade, Dave Hartley, Jeff McClelland, Mike Roback, Greg, Scott, Jeff and Jimmy Holbert, Tommy Echstenkamper, Lloyd Dugan, Bill Romanowski, Raymond Tutor, Guy Taylor, and countless others, Tomcats or Cardinals, since 1919

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

^^^Bill Romanowski?? Of like the 49ers and Broncos??
Well my opinion, i have never played for or against Ironton , but went ot a playoff game in 04 i believe agasinst westfall, and will say it gave me goosebumps to be in a packed stadium of die hard fans of there local high school football team. Even more crazy cause i went to Fairland, home of THE WEAKEST fans in the whole area

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

Nothing beat watching the Chieftain band march down the hill in through the gates..onto Bill Sauer Field..form that letter 'L'..and then watch the players come down the steps of that locker room...run through the 'L'...smash through the banner...and leapfrog into a pile before the game. Don't get me wrong..I love the new Chieftain stadium...but it's never going to be able to top that.

Stump353
Waterboy

Post by Stump353 »

The BURG... Football and Basketball

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

bigtimehitter: Bill Romanowski was a graduate of Jacksonville-Trimble High School, in 2005 he was inducted into the Trimble High School Athletic Hall of Fame. He is the father of Bill Romanowski, the former pro football player. At J-T he was a three sport four year letterman who had a chance to go pro in baseball

earp
S

Post by earp »

I am kinda partial to Allard Park at Sciotoville!Its almost like you are in the game! :lol: So I am going with the Famous Tartan Turf!Reminds me a bit of Farifield Stadium in Huntington with the houses up next to the field!

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

the new stadiums are cookie cutter, sorry thats just it, structurally speaking portsmouth just built a new facility that will not last as long as the old one still standing
the tank could use some work, and its sad a pathetic that is hasn't gotten it, they make enough money to do it
and i'd like to see something like rock hills old stadium, loved coming out of the center, and im not sure if it was regulation, but putting the track behind the stands was such a smart move, put the home side right on top of the action, and in all seriousness who cares what the away stands are like

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

bein from burg i have to go with ed miller stadium.

here are my list of fav stadiums as a fan. in no particular order

ed miller
the tank
the rock
valley
jackson (even though we are 0-2 there)

OVCfan
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan »

As a player:

Spartan Stadium
The Groveyard (CG)
West (Old Stadium)
Rock Hill (old stadium)

As a Fan:

Lucasville Valley (one of the best venue's to watch a game in southern Ohio).
Oak Hill
The Tank
West (New Stadium)
Ed Miller Stadium
Rock Hill (New Stadium)
Alumni Stadium

bcnu
Freshman Team

Post by bcnu »

gochiefs wrote:Nothing beat watching the Chieftain band march down the hill in through the gates..onto Bill Sauer Field..form that letter 'L'..and then watch the players come down the steps of that locker room...run through the 'L'...smash through the banner...and leapfrog into a pile before the game. Don't get me wrong..I love the new Chieftain stadium...but it's never going to be able to top that.

Gotta agree with you on that

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

Here's the last time the Chiefs ran onto Bill Sauer Field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2dfAuAnV_c

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

gochiefs...I agree

THe band marching down perfectly and the following were pretty awesome atmosphere makers

Always enjoyed traveling to watch Jackson at Logan....it didn't always go well but a great atmosphere.

I like Hillsboro's as well.

bulldog0909
Freshman Team

Post by bulldog0909 »

As a fan i would have to say Jackson's Stadium when there is a huge crowd on both sides

Return to “Football”