Old newspaper article about Coach Lutz hiring

chillman
Waterboy

Old newspaper article about Coach Lutz hiring

Post by chillman »

I was searching for for pics of the new highschool and ended up finding some pretty cool old articles

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=nzMLAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_FEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4966,3953085&d

if that doesn't work then , copy, cut and paste this into your address bar

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=nz ... ,3953085&d

chillman
Waterboy

Re: Old newspaper article about Coach Lutz hiring

Post by chillman »

and by the way, Coyer is the defensive co-ordinator of the Indianapolis Colts

Tiger Man
Varsity

Post by Tiger Man »

I notice a lot of pictures of VIP's on the power poles around downtown but have not seen one on Bob Lutz. Has anyone seen one of Coach Lutz????

They have them of Bear Mains, BJ Hannon, Coy Bacon, etc... These are all men that deserve recognition. Coach Lutz has done an awful lot to put Ironton on the map and he too should have a picture displayed as well.

I hope he has one and if not they need to get one soon.

GO BIG I!!!!

Frogtownbuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by Frogtownbuckeye »

How about one of Big Ernie Decourley? He and B.J. were incredible coaches and leaders for kids in Ironton for many years. I had the privilege of playing for these 2 along with Jim Lynd, another great coach, for 3 years as a youth. Ernie will always be remembered as a positive role model in this community. We miss you Ernie!

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

frogtown: If I'm not mistaken, I remember seeing one of Ernie on 4th and Park. You are right in that he was also a big contributor! Sure had an impact on some of my fellas.

71tigeralum
Waterboy

Post by 71tigeralum »

I have a huge amount of respect for Coach Lutz, so don't think this is diss'ing him at all. Instead this is intended to help him receive the credit he richly deserves::::::

I understand that some people think Bob Lutz is only like 6 games away from being the winningest coach in Ohio History... I took a quick look at what the Ohio High School Atheltic Association has in their record books, and to my amazement, it says that Coach Lutz in still in 9th place in both Career wins and Ohio Only wins....

Here is the link to the official record book:
http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/records/ftrecrd.htm#CWO

The "Official" record shows him to have 301 lifetime wins so he is still 59 wins behind a retired Terry Malone..

irontonfooballl.com only shows his coaching record thru 2007. With 8 wins in 2008 he should be credited with 354 wins, so 6 more this season should tie him for the Ohio record. But that is Unofficial, becaused it's not in the Book.

Of course maybe someone thought that the record book would be automatically updated each season by OHSAA, but no, as it says at right at the top of the records webpage, someone from the local school district (Ironton City Schools) has to take action on school letterhead and send confirming documentation to them requesting the record change. Looks like someone needs to wake up and take action.. Something that apparently hasn't happened for a couple of years.

Let's hope the record book is updated very soon, and again after the season ends when he has the new all time winningest record for any coach in the state of Ohio!!! THe rest of the state needs to know.
Last edited by 71tigeralum on Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

The record will take care of itself. I saw coach Lutz not too long ago and I believe he still has more coaching in him. No reason to believe that this is his last year. As for the record, it is what it is. Coach Lutz needs 7 wins to be the winningest coach. I believe that will happen this season. it would be great to see it fall at an Ironton home game. The Fighting Tigers have a tough schedule this year, but i believe by end of year, they will be a tough team to deal with in D4!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Frogtownbuckeye wrote:How about one of Big Ernie Decourley? He and B.J. were incredible coaches and leaders for kids in Ironton for many years. I had the privilege of playing for these 2 along with Jim Lynd, another great coach, for 3 years as a youth. Ernie will always be remembered as a positive role model in this community. We miss you Ernie!

I agree, I was fortunate enough to have had Ernie and BJ as Coaches when I played for the Central Giants in grade school. They were both great leaders and mentors for the youth of Ironton. I live a couple doors down from BJ and talk to him at times, what a great guy he is. Ernie is dearly missed.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

85inside wrote:The record will take care of itself. I saw coach Lutz not too long ago and I believe he still has more coaching in him. No reason to believe that this is his last year. As for the record, it is what it is. Coach Lutz needs 7 wins to be the winningest coach. I believe that will happen this season. it would be great to see it fall at an Ironton home game. The Fighting Tigers have a tough schedule this year, but i believe by end of year, they will be a tough team to deal with in D4!

I agree........

71tigeralum
Waterboy

Post by 71tigeralum »

85inside wrote:The record will take care of itself.

Apparently since about 2006, it hasn't taken care of itself. The rest of the state (i.e. anyone outside the range of WIRO) isn't likely to know the record is on the verge of being broken by Ironton's own best in the state football coach.

Yes, Coach Lutz should break the record and who knows how many wins he will achieve.

My point is that someone in the Ironton School System (Athletic director office or Principals office) has to write in to get the record updated, and should continue to do so after the end of each football season.

Lutz's position on all time wins will not be updated by anyone else. He deserves better..

Until then the football know-it-alls up north will keep nodding to themselves, "Ironton, can't even do simple paperwork"

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

irontonfooballl.com only shows his coaching record thru 2007. With 8 wins in 2008 he should be credited with 354 wins, so 6 more this season should tie him for the Ohio record. But that is Unofficial, becaused it's not in the Book.

I'm sorry that I didn't update that on the Coaches page. It was a mistake on my part to have not done so, I apologize. However, if you go to the 'Records' section of IFC, it is updated through the end of the 2008 season. http://www.irontonfootball.com/history2 ... ecords.htm is the URL for that section.

I also talked to Ironton's AD last week and he is very concerned with making sure the record is official and correct. We discussed how much of a mess OHSAA's website is as well, he's aware. So, don't worry, I think he's very much on the same page with us on this. He and I are going to talk this week because...as the record grows closer, I'm concerned that we have it absolutely correct as to the number of Coach Lutz's wins. He is having someone dbl check this right now as a matter of a fact, and he'll relay that to me and I'll post it on Irontonfootball.com as soon as he gets those totals.

One more thing, I KNOW what the other coaches totals are for sure as I have the newspaper articles from when they each retired so we can confirm their win totals by those....

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I agree that this is a monumental record and I am glad that someone is checking the accuracy of things. Good job.

However, I am sure that Coach Lutz would love another run at a state title and that would mean more than any individual honor. It is a great record and all of IHS should be proud of it. However, if there is one thing that Coach Lutz instilled in his players, it is about the team. I hope Coach Lutz gets this record this year and I know the current AD will honor coach in a great way. I then hope we go on to win the region, the semi and the state title. It would be great for all Fighting Tigers.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

From an item that appeared in the brochure for the Dedication of Ohio Historical Marker for Ironton Tank Memorial Stadium: July 21, 2002 written by Jimmy Walker that is reproduced on Ironton Football Dot Com here

Former Ironton athletic director Mike Burcham recommended the hiring of Lutz in May of 1972. The board hired Larry Coyer who resigned after one day to take a job with Massillon.

"I felt Bob was the most organized man for the job and his character was beyond reproach." Burcham said. "He had a great knowledge of the game, and he was honest and fair. He's proved that through the years. He wouldn't and didn't, play his own son because he though someone else was a better player. Bob always puts the players first. And his record speaks for itself."

71tigeralum, I corrected that page too you mentioned on IFC

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I also included the articles that I have about Mr. Hetrick and Mr. Malone http://www.irontonfootball.com/history2 ... ecords.htm

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

chillman wrote:and by the way, Coyer is the defensive co-ordinator of the Indianapolis Colts

He was also the D co-ordinator at Pitt the first few years of the Walt Harris era.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

very interestin. thanks for the link

71tigeralum
Waterboy

Post by 71tigeralum »

kantuckyII wrote:From an item that appeared in the brochure for the Dedication of Ohio Historical Marker for Ironton Tank Memorial Stadium: July 21, 2002 written by Jimmy Walker that is reproduced on Ironton Football Dot Com here

Former Ironton athletic director Mike Burcham recommended the hiring of Lutz in May of 1972. The board hired Larry Coyer who resigned after one day to take a job with Massillon.

"I felt Bob was the most organized man for the job and his character was beyond reproach." Burcham said. "He had a great knowledge of the game, and he was honest and fair. He's proved that through the years. He wouldn't and didn't, play his own son because he though someone else was a better player. Bob always puts the players first. And his record speaks for itself."

71tigeralum, I corrected that page too you mentioned on IFC

Sprry for all the jumpin up and down, I wasn't trying to point fingers at IFC or individuals.
I'm glad that there is action to get it all fixed up. Both Bob and the city need the appropriate recognitition.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

No problem and we agree! I, personally, appreciated you pointing that out to me about it not being updated so we could fix it, thanks!

Pepsiman
JV Team

Post by Pepsiman »

71tigeralum wrote:I have a huge amount of respect for Coach Lutz, so don't think this is diss'ing him at all. Instead this is intended to help him receive the credit he richly deserves::::::

I understand that some people think Bob Lutz is only like 6 games away from being the winningest coach in Ohio History... I took a quick look at what the Ohio High School Atheltic Association has in their record books, and to my amazement, it says that Coach Lutz in still in 9th place in both Career wins and Ohio Only wins....

Here is the link to the official record book:
http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/records/ftrecrd.htm#CWO

The "Official" record shows him to have 301 lifetime wins so he is still 59 wins behind a retired Terry Malone..

Of course maybe someone thought that the record book would be automatically updated each season by OHSAA, but no, as it says at right at the top of the records webpage, someone from the local school district (Ironton City Schools) has to take action on school letterhead and send confirming documentation to them requesting the record change. Looks like someone needs to wake up and take action.. Something that apparently hasn't happened for a couple of years.

Let's hope the record book is updated very soon, and again after the season ends when he has the new all time winningest record for any coach in the state of Ohio!!! THe rest of the state needs to know.

Take it easy old timer................. Kantucky has it under control.....................He as well as the rest of us understands what this record means....................

71tigeralum
Waterboy

Post by 71tigeralum »

Pepsiman wrote:
71tigeralum wrote:Take it easy old timer................. Kantucky has it under control.....................He as well as the rest of us understands what this record means....................

I'm going back to sleep. I only get to follow Ironton Football from afar now on the internet, (living outisde the US in Michigan), and it was long ago in a stadium now far away that I got to see every game and report Tiger football on TV with Kenny Mains, and Dave Dean while I was a college student..

Return to “Football”