West ‘Siders blank GAHS

jottings
SEOPS H

West ‘Siders blank GAHS

Post by jottings »

Portsmouth West picked up where the ‘Siders left off last fall by scoring three touchdowns and three extra points while blanking Gallipolis Gallia Academy 21-0 in a controlled scrimmage Saturday morning in West’s beautiful stadium. The scrimmage was played in blazing 90-degree temperatures.

During the first four series of downs, both teams ran 10 plays. Then both teams went to for four downs and distance the remainder of the practice tilt which lasted 90 minutes for members of the varsity teams.

In West’s first 10-play series, the ‘Siders marched 70 yards, scoring on a pass play from 12 yards out. West kicked the point after. Longest ground gainer in the drive was a 20-yard blast on the fifth play of the scrimmage.

Gallipolis managed 53 yards in 10 plays. Biggest ground gainer was a 15-yarder by Ethan Moore. Moore also completed a 20-yard pass to Austin Wilson before the drive bogged down on West’s 20 yard line.

West then scored on a 65-yard pass play on its third down in its second 10-dawn series, and again booted the extra point. During the next seven downs, PWHS gained 25 yards.

During Gallia’s second 10-down series, the Blue Devils picked up only 20 yards, 12 by Jarred Golden.

In West’s first downs and advance, the Siders got 15 yards rushing and eight passing, but lost the ball on a fumble.

On Gallia’s first down and advance, series the Blue Devils got five yards rushing and a first down via penalty. Moore got a 20-yard scamper on a keeper play before GAHS turned the ball over on West’s 38 yard line.

Following an exchange of downs, West scored on a 30-yard run and the extra point made it 21-0.

GAHS ran nine plays on its second series, moving the ball from its own 30 to West’s 45 before a fumble and 15-yard penalty killed the drive.

The reserves took over at that point. West outscored GAHS two touchdowns to one. No extra points were attempted by the reserves,

Both freshmen teams ran a four down series and it was 0-0 when it was lunchtime for Jottings and Tom Morgan.

As far as we could determine, West ran 34 plays from scrimmage for 343 total yards. West had 258 yards rushing on 27 ground plays and one TD for a 9.5 average per carry. West completed four of seven passes (one intercepted) for 85 yards and two touchdowns.

GAHS, in 40 plays from scrimmage, gained 142 yards. The Blue Devils rushed 31 times for 69 yards (2.2 per carry) and completed three of nine aerials for 75 yards.

West had four first downs to Gallia's three, was penalized three times for 25 yards to the Gallians two penalties for 20 yards. West fumbled two times and lost one. GAHS fumbled three times and lost none.

Gallipolis will return to the practice field Monday before hosting Meigs in a Jamboree game on Memorial Field Friday, beginning at 7 p.m.

The 2009 season will begin on Friday, Aug. 28, against non-league Athens on Memorial Field.
Last edited by jottings on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Re: West ‘Siders blank GAHS

Post by GAHS7462 »

Gallia is still trying to find out what they have.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

West first team passing 5 for 7 passing, 2 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions. Yards ?.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Black & orange...85 yards.

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

I'm new to the area and have only seen them in practice up to now:

Positives:
Looked good athletically - Didn't feel like we were overmatched in size or speed
QBs looked good throwing the ball when they had time

Negatives:
Way too many missed assignments - players looked hesitant at times as if unsure of their assignment
Couldn't run outside at all - most of the success we had was between the tackles

All in all, I thought that they looked like a team with a new coach and a new system still working out the kinks. They need to be much more confident in their assignments so that they can move off the ball with no hesitancy. They also need to work on some fundamentals. Tackling was average at best, the pass defense was weak and we had alot of our linemen standing around watching instead of blocking until the whistle blew. With a new coach, I would expect a big improvement between the first and second scrimmage. I hope to see it Friday night.

Portsmouth West looked like they were clicking on all cylinders. Their overall size might get them in trouble somewhere down the road, but I'd expect them to have a good season.

DaRecGuy
Freshman Team

Post by DaRecGuy »

Good Work, I hear the Daily Times is hiring!!!

This article on a scrimmage game would be better than the ones they ran last season on real games.

BluFan
Waterboy

Post by BluFan »

I think I have to agree with most of what GAHS83 said for the negatives but I don't think it is all just learning a new system for some of those problems. I went to the scrimmages hoping to see the boys doing the fundamentals like tackling, sustaining their blocks to give the QB time to do something, need to work on teaching the line to keep their heads up, the play will blow past by the time you look up from the line and that is exactly what happened and these have been problems now for several years and had really hoped these were things that would have been the first things that would have been worked on in practices. Go back to the basics, if you can get them down then you can do just about anything else.

I was just a little disappointed in what I saw today, they need a lot of work before the first game but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that this was a scrimmage and the first one at that but I've watched a lot of football over the years and well, they need a lot of work or it is going to be a very long season.

Our pass defense was non-existence, not to bad on defense against the run but the defensive ends seem to be lost as to what to do and if we don't get a pass defense together teams like Ironton that is basically a running team will have a field day when they throw that one or two pass plays in the game.

The coach should have been a little ticked off at the parent that thought he had to go to the sideline and talk tell his son, what ever about the game. That is why the coaches are paid is to coach, parents need to stay on the sidelines away from the players or in the stands and let the coaches do their job. How is the coach suppose to do his job if the parents are telling the kids one thing and the coach something different?

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

thanks for the writeup. Very good and detailed.

If I was a GAHS fan, I wouldn't worry alot with the new system and such, it will take time. This was also a very talented team you played. Probably a solid playoff team. They are young, but very gifted.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

BluFan wrote:I think I have to agree with most of what GAHS83 said for the negatives but I don't think it is all just learning a new system for some of those problems. I went to the scrimmages hoping to see the boys doing the fundamentals like tackling, sustaining their blocks to give the QB time to do something, need to work on teaching the line to keep their heads up, the play will blow past by the time you look up from the line and that is exactly what happened and these have been problems now for several years and had really hoped these were things that would have been the first things that would have been worked on in practices. Go back to the basics, if you can get them down then you can do just about anything else.

I was just a little disappointed in what I saw today, they need a lot of work before the first game but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that this was a scrimmage and the first one at that but I've watched a lot of football over the years and well, they need a lot of work or it is going to be a very long season.

Our pass defense was non-existence, not to bad on defense against the run but the defensive ends seem to be lost as to what to do and if we don't get a pass defense together teams like Ironton that is basically a running team will have a field day when they throw that one or two pass plays in the game.

The coach should have been a little ticked off at the parent that thought he had to go to the sideline and talk tell his son, what ever about the game. That is why the coaches are paid is to coach, parents need to stay on the sidelines away from the players or in the stands and let the coaches do their job. How is the coach suppose to do his job if the parents are telling the kids one thing and the coach something different?

WOW!!!!!! What a post!!!!!! But,I have to agree with alot of the things you are saying. I was also shocked to see that parent down there talking to his son. I also have to beleive if Coach Eddy had seen it,he would have put a stop to it NOW!!!!!

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

what a brutal schedule to prepare for. very surprised for laying an egg. scrimmages dont mean that much.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

We'll see a vast improvement this friday.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

i hope so. i hear they have been working hard.

WestSide Pride
Waterboy

Post by WestSide Pride »

Both quaterbacks looked real good as will as the whole team. Who was the quaterbacks? I've not been around for a long time this was the first time i got to go see the SIDERS.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

Levi Ratliff worked with the first team. Kyle Locher worked with the second team. And Zach Frye worked with the freshmen. They all had their moments. And do'nt forget about Tanner Journey's still on crutches, for another week or so.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Levi a better arm, but I think Locher is a little more mobile....any one know how pendleton and/or murphy did?

Return to “Football”