Portsmouth @ Valley preview Friday 8/21

Portsmouth98
All State

Portsmouth @ Valley preview Friday 8/21

Post by Portsmouth98 »

I believe this one will start about 5 or 5:30. What's everyone's thoughts on the game.

coop
SEOPS

Re: Portsmouth @ Valley preview Friday 8/21

Post by coop »

I'm looking at something like 4-2 Portsmouth, hopefully both have a good preview and come out injury free!

Indian till death
Waterboy

Post by Indian till death »

I think that if we come to play on Friday than this should be a Great preview to see. I believe Portsmouth is a great team and was a great team, loaded with talent, last year despite the 1-9 season. :lol:
Both ball clubs are returning alot of talent on the skilled side. I don't know about Portsmouth's line, and how they reloaded after those two boys who went to Penn State and Florida graduated :?: . Also some other 2008 lineman were probably seniors.
I'm very excited to see how our passing game, specifically, will be against the Trojan DB's, and how our linebackers i.e. Crabtree and Rowe will do against A. Jackson. :twisted:
This should be alot of fun to watch! :mrgreen:

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Prior was the only senior on the offensive line for the second half of the season. We will probably start 3 or 4 juniors and 1 or 2 seniors.

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

Post by trojanofthepast »

Valley has a good football team this year. But, I think the Trojans are starting to hit their stride right now. They are looking better and better each week. I don't know if Valley can handle the Trojans passing game right now. Myers is playing well right now. Along with Royster, Simpson, and Evans at the WR spot they are hard to stop. And they will get better once Malone is healthy for WK 1. If the line plays well we have a chance to handle a good Valley team. I wish both teams health in this final tuneup to the regular season. Everyone needs to remember though it's a scrimmage, a tuneup, not a regular season game.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Are the Trojan boosters having a raffle/dinner afterward? I know they usually do but I haven't heard anything.

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

Good luck to both on being injury free!

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Would like to see if the Trojans have a physical D like iv'e been hearing .

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

AnyAmy word on official start time?

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

trojan7 wrote:AnyAmy word on official start time?

The start time is 5:30

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Can't Wait

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

Any word on how this went for both teams?

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

7-7, Portsmouth had trouble running the ball early and there were a lot of balls overthrown, but they put together a good drive at the end. Valley had some good blocks and broke a few loose towards the outside but Portsmouth did well against the pass and contained the middle pretty well.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Not that I saw.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Just an outsiders opinion, but Portsmouth could be looking at another long season. Meyers is a great player, but they really don't have much else on either side of the ball. He's going to be running for his life and beat to death again this year.

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

I was disappointed in the line play on both sides of the ball tonight for the Trojans. I also did not see any intensity tonight like last week. I know our play calling was very vanilla because of scouting. But that has nothing to do with intensity or execution of the plays called. Our 2 tackles and our center had very poor performances tonight. We can not have that during the regular season. If if doesn't get better it will be a long season and Myers will be running for his life again. As for Valley, I think they performed very well tonight. I wish them luck in the SOC. Portsmouth has to realize that they are a bulls eye game for everyone on their schedule. People circle you on there schedule every year. Even in down years they circle you on that schedule. I hope our line play gets it together in the next week or we will lose against S.Point.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I talked to a few people that were there and they said Valley's team speed looked much improved from last year and that Utley did a good job running the offense. I am hopeful we can compete in the SOC 2 and with the Coal Groves and South Points that are on our schedule. Good luck to both teams. I also went by the school about halfway through, looked like a very good crowd. The whole front parking lot was full. I doubt there would be very many teams we could scrimmage around here and have that many show up.

Archie
Waterboy

Post by Archie »

Heard from some that the Trojan line play needs to improve. Heard the skill positions for the most part look solid especially Myers and Simpson. Couple of the "overthrown passes" were receivers fault. Until the best 11 players are on the field Portsmouth will continue to struggle. The best players need to go both ways. At least give it a try. This is high school football. Coaches need to wake up!

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

Archie wrote:Heard from some that the Trojan line play needs to improve. Heard the skill positions for the most part look solid especially Myers and Simpson. Couple of the "overthrown passes" were receivers fault. Until the best 11 players are on the field Portsmouth will continue to struggle. The best players need to go both ways. At least give it a try. This is high school football. Coaches need to wake up!

Not having Sanders at the LT position really showed last night. I hope he returns from injury real soon. I think the Myers to Simpson combination has looked pretty good over the last 2 weeks. Remember we will get London Malone back this week. He is the starter opposite Simpson. But it will mean nothing if Myers has to run for his life. I disagree with siderman when he says Myers is all we have. I think our receivers (Simpson,Malone,Royster,and Evans) would start for West and several other teams right now without a doubt.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

I wish I could say this was not expected. However I am certainly not convinced Ptown is going to have the season many of the fans are hoping to have. This outcome suggests there is alot of work to be done and not much time.

Return to “Football”