GAHS-Athens Updates

superblue
All Conference

Re: GAHS-Athens Updates

Post by superblue »

Great job 4ever, you made the right decision by not going..... It started raining at halftime..... Wish you a speedy recovery......... It is hard to describe what I witnessed tonight......WOW..... 0-10 is a possibility....... WOW......

bulldog0909
Freshman Team

Post by bulldog0909 »

NIIIICE!!!!! class? thats an exclamation mark and a statement!!! very nice job

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Congrats on the win Bulldogs! Way to represent the TVC!!!!!! :-D

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Great WIN tonite Doggies ...
Keep up the hard work and dedication and more will follow ...

Enjoy being (1-0) for the 1st time in 6 years because you earned it!

--Coach Hewitt

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Way to go Dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :122245

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Congratulation A-Town. That being said Coach Adams could use a litttle game management class. 1st and goal at the 4 with under 4:00 to go and you call back to back pass plays? Then with the game in hand we take the cheap shot, all I can figure is he must have promised Harris a TD pass if the opertunity presented it's self. Sorry about that one GAHS from a true fan of A-Town.

Fun in the Sun
Freshman Team

Post by Fun in the Sun »

superblue ....now you really have some class ! (just like the coach from Athens ) These boys get on here and read that classy post!
Last edited by Fun in the Sun on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

Oh boy!!!!!. is all I have to say about Gallia
Take it as you see fit!!!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If it were week 7 and Gallia was (1-5) and Athens (6-0) ... Athens runs the ball three straight times and clock runs out ... BUT .. its week one, Athens struggled offensively the 2nd half and I believe Athens scored because they needed to work on their red zone offense .. its not like it was 55-0, they were up 2 scores with over a minute to play ... stranger things have happened ya know; Gallia recovers a fumble - scores - recovers an onside kick and scores again - its not unreasonable to think a team can't still win a game with a minute to play down by 2 scores ...

Did anyone mention that the kid that caught the ball WASN'T a player who started or play much during the game? Athens sealed a victory with the TD, they gave themselves momentum and confidence 'offensively' heading into week 2 and they gave a kid a shot at scoring a TD that might not get many more the rest of the season .... that is hardly 'low class' ... that is good smart coaching & I would say the same if Gallia was the team who did it.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Bulldogs win................................ Next up Federal Hocking.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

That last score didn't bother me a bit. Anyone who saw this game knows Gallia just killed theirself with penalties. I'm thinking there was a total at one time of 13 flags in the 1st half on both teams.
Also someone on the coaching staff for Gallia needs to have a stop watch,so when the ref blows the ready for play,he can watch the 25sec. count.

The Blue Devils have alot of work ahead of them for week 2. that work begins NOW!!!!!!!!
Last edited by GAHS7462 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

so why did my post get deleted.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://athensmessenger.com/articles/2009/08/29/sports/high_schools/doc4a98d06f80220598581849.txt

Bulldogs shutout Blue Devils
Published: Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:56 AM EDT

GALLIPOLIS — Athens scored two quick second-quarter touchdowns and tacked on another late in the game to defeat Gallia Academy 21-0 in a non-league game at Memorial Field Friday night. It was the season opener for both teams. It was the Bulldogs’ first win over the Blue Devils since 2002 and only the third going back to victories in 1987 and 1988.

Athens capitalized on key offensive plays of its own and some Blue Devil fumbles and penalties to gain the victory. The hosts had five fumbles, losing three of them and nine penalties for 55 yards many of them slowing down or halting drives. Athens had five penalties for 60 yards.

The two teams traded possessions in the early part of the game before the Bulldogs were able to put together a 49-yard, eight-play drive. Joey Young caught a 14-yard pass from Trey Harris with 1:54 remaining in the second period. Mitch Rider recovered a Blue Devil fumble on the ensuing kickoff and Tanner Weaver caught a 19-yard pass from Harris three plays and less than a minute later. Douglas Chapman kicked both extra points.

The Blue Devils, which had seen one scoring threat foiled in the second quarter, suffered the same fate in the third quarter. Jarred Golden broke loose for a 42-yard gain but was stopped just short of the end zone to give the hosts a first-and-goal at the 1. A five-yard penalty moved the Blue Devils back to the 6 and Chapman recovered a Blue Devil fumble on the next play.

The Blue Devils were at their 25-yard line with just over three minutes remaining but came up one-yard short on the next play returning possession to the Bulldogs. After Harris completed a 13-yard pass to Rob Glass, he hooked up with Conner Tope on the next play for a 9-yard touchdown with 53.2 seconds remaining and Chapman tacked on the extra point.

Gallia had a slight 12-10 edge in first downs but the Bulldogs held a 193-177 edge in total yards.

Weaver gained 34 yards in eight carries and Devon Sharp 26 in four carries to lead the Bulldogs’ ground game. Harris completed 11 of 17 passs for 109 yards with Shad McCollum on the receiving end of four of them for 32 yards and Frank Valentour two for 33 yards.

Jared Gravely gained 61 yards in seven carries and Nate Allison 53 yards in nine carries to pace the Blue Devils rushing attack. Ethan Moore completed four of nine passes for 67 yards including two to Austin Wilson for 16 yards along with the long aerial to Golden.

This marked the second year that the matchup has been non-league since Athens left the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League after the 2007 season to join the Tri-Valley Conference’s Ohio Division. Gallipolis has been in the SEOAL since the league was founded in 1925 while Athens missed only three years in the late 1920s.

The Bulldogs will be on the road again Friday as they travel to neighboring Federal Hocking from the TVC’s Hocking Division before moving into TVC-Ohio Division play in three weeks. Gallia will also be on the road Friday with a trip to Hillsboro.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

93Bulldog wrote:If it were week 7 and Gallia was (1-5) and Athens (6-0) ... Athens runs the ball three straight times and clock runs out ... BUT .. its week one, Athens struggled offensively the 2nd half and I believe Athens scored because they needed to work on their red zone offense .. its not like it was 55-0, they were up 2 scores with over a minute to play ... stranger things have happened ya know; Gallia recovers a fumble - scores - recovers an onside kick and scores again - its not unreasonable to think a team can't still win a game with a minute to play down by 2 scores ...

Did anyone mention that the kid that caught the ball WASN'T a player who started or play much during the game? Athens sealed a victory with the TD, they gave themselves momentum and confidence 'offensively' heading into week 2 and they gave a kid a shot at scoring a TD that might not get many more the rest of the season .... that is hardly 'low class' ... that is good smart coaching & I would say the same if Gallia was the team who did it.

BULLPUCKEY!! Nice game by the dogs until the end. PERIOD!!

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

Is Gallia down this year or is Athens that good :?: That's pretty impressive to go into Memorial Field and do that in week 1. Athens should do well in the TVC Ohio.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

Is there anyone else like me who thinks the 2 plays Gallipolis used is illegal? The plays drew Athens offsides both times. Gallipolis lines up in the shotgun,Gallia QB then comes up to the line under center and calls the signals. The QB then sprints back into the shotgun.

I know there's a fine line as to if this is Illegal. My feeling is you are simulating a snap, therefore its Illegal.

Anyone agree??

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

Bassmaster wrote:Is Gallia down this year or is Athens that good :?: That's pretty impressive to go into Memorial Field and do that in week 1. Athens should do well in the TVC Ohio.

Gallia is young with only 8 returning letterman

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

How Quickly Gallipolis forgets all the beatings Athens has taken by them. How quickly they forget all the times in any sport Football, Basktetball, Baseball that Gallipolis has without mercy run the score up. I've witnessed many of those times. Heck your own past assistant football coach would run up the scores in 8th grade basketball against struggling teams. So don't cry the blues about the last minute of the game.

You people only respect us when you beat us. Get over it. Move on. Quit crying foul. What I saw last night out of Gallia's coaches at the end of the game in the line shaking hands, now that was low class.

Way to go Bulldogs. Great way to start the year. Don't let anyone rain on your parade.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

I didn't witness the hand shakes so I can't comment on it. But I will say again the last minute TD by Athens DIDN'T bother me one bit. It was my understanding that it was a reserve who caught the ball. Are you suppose to put these players in a game and tell them to not play the game?

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Hey 74, Finally we can agree on something…….LOL… Last TD didn’t bother me a bit… The axman made some valid points…. Look at some of our scores over the last 10 years and you will see some of his points may be valid…. 74?? What happened right before halftime on the punt…. Was it a dead ball foul or what….no explanation, looked like they just replayed the down and punted again…. Hey Fun. So you didn’t like my post…. Was it the WOW or possibility of 0-10 that got to ya…. I could have made it a lot classier…. First let me say our players all gave a 100% effort.. Nothing negative toward them… I have heard all summer what a great change we would witness in our program…. More discipline, getting back to the basics, getting rid of the spread and going back to a power running game . Sorry, I didn’t see any of this… I know this will take time, but get real……the first quarter we ran more spread plays than ever… 4 penalties in a row, started out first and 10 at Athens 25, next thing you know its first and 30….. Now that’s a WOW…. No pass protection at all, our QB is a gutsy kid,,, he was getting nailed on every pass he attempted…. It will be a miracle for him to play the season without being injured….. Someone made the statement that you will see the biggest improvement between games 1 & 2….. I hope this is true……LOL

Return to “Football”