Should Wellston Keep Playing Jackson?

geck0
Waterboy

Should Wellston Keep Playing Jackson?

Post by geck0 »

This Jackson team is the worst in recent mammary and still they beat the yellow rockets. Why does the insanity continue?

ironmen1987
SE

Re: Should Wellston Keep Playing Jackson?

Post by ironmen1987 »

$$$$$$$$$$$ ;-)

Seriously though, give Jackson some credit because those kids went out there and played their heart out. Wellston has been in position to win on several occasions during this streak but they always seem to come up with a costly turnover or penalty that turns the tide against them.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Well someon beat me to it. There in NO reason to continue this series.

If you favor continuing the series please list reasons below. You can use money for an argument, but remember what they call ladies of the night who do things just for money.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

I spend ALOT of time in Wellston and i have NEVER heard a Wellston fan even joke about dropping this series. Its a matter of pride and a believe in their kids ability.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

I spend alot of time in Wellston also. i have found one person that wants to continue this series. i am sure everyone in Jackson wants to continue the series. It is nice to start every year 1-0. Wellston has started 0-1 for 19 years. I will guarantee you jackson would not play anyone who beat them 19 years in a row. The person who favored continuing the series was a coach who enjoyed the MONEY. I think it is poor judgment to put your kids behind the 8 ball for money. heck i would rather have a car wash. i did have an 88 year old woman say "they need to stop playing that team"

And besides i asked someone to mention ANY benefit to this game.

I will give you a start:

For Jackson:
Jackson always starts 1-0

Money

For Wellston:

Money.

Now read my first post on this subject.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I agree 2old, Wellston needs to schedule Oak Hill the first game every year make it a saturday night game and it would bring in a nice gate every year.Not that we would always beat Oak Hill either I dont mean it that way. It would be a good series.JMHO
I got into a heated argument with a former AD from Wellston over this subject in 2001. I still say move on and play someone more youre size . Jackson is just too big ,they are still a growing community ,Wellston on the other hand is getting smaller each year.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I am not from either school but I hear this question being asked each year. Now that they can now charge for 1 scrimmage a year would it be better to play it then than the first game of the season. This would still be a money maker for both schools. Just an idea

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Gee it is nice to agree with Farmer. We have not always agreed.

Boiler keep talking. Talk to your administrators and school board members. i assure you there is life after Jackson. Both continue to hurt the program by asking the team to start 0-1. i am still waiting for reason for this series to continue. I gave you a head start on the list. Just continue to list more reasons for both schools.

jungle cat
Freshman Team

Post by jungle cat »

Jackson love the game it a win each year for them. They would play all D-5 and D-6 schools if they could. Jackson not much in the conference they are in and wont be. All new ballgame sense they moved to a conference about there size, well Ironton is smaller. :!:

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Should they play? No.

Will they play? Yes. At least for the forseeable future.

I do like the idea boilermaker listed about playing Oak Hill in Week 1. If Jackson must stay on the schedule, why not shuffle the schedule around and play Oak Hill every year Week 1 and then make Jackson a non-league game in either Weeks 2, 3, or 4. With Belpre dropping to the Hocking, there will be an extra non-league game option for Wellston to play with, which should make it easier to schedule Oak Hill in one of those games.

As far as lost rivalries go......

If Nelsonville-York can stop playing Logan and if Athens can stop playing Logan and if Meigs can stop playing Gallia Academy, then Wellston can stop playing Jackson. It's not the end of the world.

I also liked the idea of Wellston vs. Jackson being a scrimmage or the paid admission game played before the season starts. That would be a decent compromise.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

We could discuss the Symmes Valley/Chesapeake "rivalry" as well if we were discussing "rivalries" that might need to be "lost".
Chesapeake has won close to 20 in a row in this annual series.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

NY96,

Isn't it sad when a coule of guys on a website can brinstorm and come up with a decent solution. Makes me wonder why administrators, Board members, and athletic directors can not see OTHER possible solutions.

Still looking for any advantages to continuing this game. It is not a rivalry game. For it to be a rivalry both teams have to win occassionally.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

It's not the number of wins and losses that keep this series going, It's the money!!!!!
This game will be played until the people stop coming to watch it.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

jungle cat wrote:Jackson love the game it a win each year for them. They would play all D-5 and D-6 schools if they could. Jackson not much in the conference they are in and wont be. All new ballgame sense they moved to a conference about there size, well Ironton is smaller. :!:

I don't know what you're smoking ? We have been with Logan and Gallia forever. Other teams have come and gone and come back again. We thought Ports, Chilli, n Ironton would solidify the conference but we can't control what other schools choose to do...

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

GAHS,

There is more to consider than the money. That is a weak excuse used by people with no imagination. Wellston is using young men as cannon fodder for money to support their athletic program. Wellston does not need to worry about jackson's short fall in the athletic department.

Wellston kids deserve an even playing field. I like the jamboree idea. I also would consider a week three contest (if absolutely necessary to balance the books) but to continue with the status quo is not a good move for Wellston. It is great for jackson as mentioned above. Wellston would have better home crowds by building momentum than losing to jackson one more time.

BTW, i think you have your hands full down on the river this year. I will handle this one. I knowalot more about it than a guy from Rio Grande. i wold love to hear you defend this move if GAHS played the same team and started 0-1 every season for 19 years.

Yes i believe strongly in proper scheduling. For example i know Gallia is over scheduled this year.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

$25,000 gates in the past , maybe as much as some teams would make in a year for one game. That funds a lot things for the kids of both schools in athletics, I do not see any changes in the future because both schools really need that.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

So far i have seen no one offer any reason but money. i guess the football players at Wellston are responsible for carrying not only the athletic department at Wellston but also must carry Jacksons athletic budget also.

i think that is a poor way to treat young men.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

Logan has dominated a "smaller" conference the last several years haven't they? Are you saying that Jackson and Gallia are just wasting time and money playing the 5 schools that are bigger than us? Should we just save ourselves the trouble and forfeit? Just a thought but maybe we should try to improve our teams. I think i read that Jackson can beat Waverly IF we don't commit turnovers or penalties, control the clock with a power running game, don't give up big plays on defense. The same holds true for any opponent you face. You prepare your game plan and do your best. Wellston used to be at the end of the schedule. Do you think their chances would be better after fighting their league schedule????

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

19 years 0-1 is not good. meigs dropped gallipolis.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

How about 17,000 reasons

Why does the MAC go play Ohio State? Same reason! :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”