A question to Logan Posters

85inside
S

A question to Logan Posters

Post by 85inside »

Would you rather win an SEOAL title or go to the post season? Which is the bigger goal? I keep hearing that many posters from Ironton "live in the past."

For Locos and Go Chiefs and others, which is more important in Logan?

GoChiefs
Varsity

Re: A question to Logan Posters

Post by GoChiefs »

Well..considering we pretty much just had this thread last week..I'll just go ahead and copy and paste some of my answer from that:

Sure..there is no denying our lack of success in the playoffs...but Logan plays for the SEOAL Championship b/c that comes FIRST! You have to win that to get to the playoffs. In D2...if we can't at least win the SEOAL..we have no business even being in the playoffs to being with...so THAT'S why it 'appears' that the SEOAL is all we care about.

Fact is..our goal is to win each game presented to us that week..worry about what happens in the post season when the time comes..like this week..the Chiefs are worried about Ironton..they aren't worried about winning the SEOAL or going to the post season..they are worried about their game in week 5.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

To be honest, the coaches still make a big deal of the conference championship. But for a lot of the fans, it's not such a big deal anymore. 10-0 is more to my liking. You see, I'd say most Logan faithful really just get a kick out of seeing the kids play and play well. They may be in for a few off years at some point but even then, the folks will follow and root for their Chiefs. They will pack away games, wait at the gate for it to open, cheer the team and the band and be proud of them win or lose. In short, it is a community thing. We like to win. We'd love to see our guys go all the way. But what a ride the last few years have been. If they fall short of the ultimate, will the ride be any less worth it? I think not!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Of course, due to our situation, if we did not win the league, we probably wouldn't be talking about playoffs anyway. We do not have the luxury of losing three games and still making it to the playoffs. On the other hand, Ironton posters, if you don't advance past the first round of the playoffs, do you consider the season a failure? Do the kids have to slink around town avoiding the eyes of the faithful? Have you become a living version of Friday Night Lights (the movie)?

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Usually, if Logan win the SEOAL title, you usually qualify for the playoffs. At that point, you are THE CHAMPS and the postseason becomes the icing on the cake. Going to the playoffs without winning the league title sounds quite hollow, like a consolation prize. How far you go isn't important as the fact you qualify and play the states best. However, if you can win a state title -- great. Using the Ironton standard of judging whether the season is a success ONLY if you win a state title means Ironton football must suck since you haven't won it in years and years. Logan wins SEOAL Championships quite often and qualifies for the playoffs often. Our standards means we have LOTS of success. Our pity for your lack of success !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

gahs4ever wrote:In addition to their two championships, they have been to the playoffs 26 times; third most of any program in the state.

Wow..so they've been to the playoffs 26 times..and have only won it twice? Dang..they must REALLY suck! :roll: I mean..as great as they sound..surely you could get like..5..maybe 6 titles out of 26 appearances? Surely if Logan had that many chances..we would have a couple too! *notice the sarcasm in the statement* All kidding aside though..they talk about there history..going so deep in the playoffs...and all that..but..when you lose in the playoffs 24 times...I guess that's not really much to brag about either is it? Who cares how deep you go if you can't win it all.

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

gochiefs wrote:
gahs4ever wrote:In addition to their two championships, they have been to the playoffs 26 times; third most of any program in the state.

Wow..so they've been to the playoffs 26 times..and have only won it twice? Dang..they must REALLY suck! :roll: I mean..as great as they sound..surely you could get like..5..maybe 6 titles out of 26 appearances? Surely if Logan had that many chances..we would have a couple too! *notice the sarcasm in the statement* All kidding aside though..they talk about there history..going so deep in the playoffs...and all that..but..when you lose in the playoffs 24 times...I guess that's not really much to brag about either is it? Who cares how deep you go if you can't win it all.

guess we will NEVER know :lol: :lol: :lol:

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

sportsfan43 wrote:
gochiefs wrote:

guess we will NEVER know :lol: :lol: :lol:

not yet 8)

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

A question to Ironton posters.

Stop sucking. :mrgreen:

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

sportsfan43 wrote:guess we will NEVER know :lol: :lol: :lol:

We know one thing..Ironton can only win 1 out of every 13 tries! Ya know..when you look at it like that..that doesn't look so impressive now does it? LOL

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

grizzlynatural wrote:A question to Ironton posters.

Geez Griz..that's a statement..NOT a question! :lol:

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

gochiefs wrote:
grizzlynatural wrote:A question to Ironton posters.

Geez Griz..that's a statement..NOT a question! :lol:

Yep, i know. Its kind of a joke. Kind of... :idea:

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

GAHS -

Several flaws in your logic as well.

gahs4ever wrote:Several flaws in your illogic....as usual.

I believe there is a league in NW Ohio where one year one league had two state champions; obviously in different divisions. I remember thinking at the time, how ironic to be a state champion and not even win your own league.

Believe me, the MAC is more the exception than the rule. Not many times is a team going to win a state title after not winning their league. And in Southeastern Ohio, it's going to be EVEN more rare. SE Ohio has in the past and continues to struggle outside of our area. The numbers back me up.

gahs4ever wrote:Secondly, if the yardstick for measuring success in a football program is winning state championships only, there are only six champions every year out of over 700 OHSAA football playing schools. According to you, does that mean that all but six programs annually sucks?

This is actually the yardstick for success of Ironton fans. I believe, like you, that his is unrealistic. I believe you try to win every game you play, period. That starts with you non-league games, continues with your league games, and continues in the playoffs.

gahs4ever wrote:The glory of the playoffs is more than just "making them" IMO. It is to establish a pattern of consistency whereby the program is playing in week 11 and beyond more often than not. In that regard, not only Ironton, but GAHS has more playoff qualifiers in the last ten years than Logan has in it's history.

I couldn't agree more. It's part of the reason why Logan DIDN'T make the playoffs from 2002-2005. Logan could have easily scheduled easy victories that would have provided playoff points only to get into the playoffs and get beat by Big Time D1 programs. Instead, we chose to "rebuild" our program from the ground up, and challenge our kids to better prepare them in the playoffs.

gahs4ever wrote:There are few programs in the entire state with a better playoff record than Ironton...a few, but not many. In addition to their two championships, they have been to the playoffs 26 times; third most of any program in the state.

And no one would deny Ironton's success. They should be proud of their history.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

85inside wrote:Would you rather win an SEOAL title or go to the post season? Which is the bigger goal? I keep hearing that many posters from Ironton "live in the past."

For Locos and Go Chiefs and others, which is more important in Logan?

This is an illogical question in my mind. Logan will never win a state title without winning the SEOAL, so therefore it is not an EITHER/OR question. They go hand in hand.

Certainly winning a regional championship would be the biggest achievement to date for LHS football.

As for the bigger goal, I think Logan's goals remain unchanged and go in order:

1. Win the League
2. Go 10-0
3. State Champions

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

gahs4ever wrote:Locos: I agree about winning the SEOAL being necessary to have the kind of team to win the state, but in 1999, GAHS went 8-2 (losing to Ironton and Logan) and yet made it to the regional finals in week 13. That was one of several years where GAHS only lost one league game every season (to Logan) and yet made the playoffs and had some degree of success.

4ever -

I didn't say that there couldn't be any post season success by not winning the league. However, I think you would agree, as good as the '99 GAHS team was, they were a LONG way from winning a state championship, which is the bar Ironton has set.

Logan reached the Regional Final in 2000 (by beating two schools with nearly TWICE their enrollment in the playoffs) AND won the SEOAL title. It is still the best team ever at Logan High School. Hopefully this years addition can top the achievements of that team.

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

gahs4ever wrote:AS I pointed out, and you missed,

And as I pointed out and you obviously missed...how..I don't know..as it's right there in black..I figured someone wouldn't pick up on it..so I thought I better type it out just to clarify..but I guess somehow you still missed it..I was just being *sarcastic* with that statement.

sports junkie
JV Team

Post by sports junkie »

If Logan made it to the playoffs 26 times, they still would not have a State Champioship :lol: Heck they wouldn't even have 2 regional Championships :lol: :lol:

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

sports junkie wrote:If Logan made it to the playoffs 26 times, they still would not have a State Champioship :lol: Heck they wouldn't even have 2 regional Championships :lol: :lol:

Something about that is HYSTERICAL......

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

sports junkie wrote:If Logan made it to the playoffs 26 times, they still would not have a State Champioship :lol: Heck they wouldn't even have 2 regional Championships :lol: :lol:

^^^^FAIL..but that's ok..talk all you want after your whoopin' on Friday! :lol:

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

It doesn't matter that Logan is on a three game win streak or that Ironton has the history and the series lead. What matters is what happens on the field this Friday night. I just feel Logan is the best team, this is the game that is on the schedule for both teams and after Friday night, Logan is 5-0 and moving on. Ironton will be 3-2 but should be favored in every game the rest of the way. Good luck to both in the playoffs.

Return to “Football”