SEOPS Hippo

Re: TVC-Ohio Athens (6-0) @ Wellston

Post by noreply66 »

Athens wins again

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Athens wins en route to what should be a perfect season.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

athens by 30.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

No way Athens wins this game by 30 ,In fact Wellston will win this game.You heard it here first. :122249

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

We cannot look past Wellston! They beat us last year and we have something to prove to them. The game is at Wellston and they hve alot of pride in their football team. Athens must stay with the approach that they have used all year. Just get ready for each game as it comes. It has been good to them so far. I have never seen the level of excitement that has gripped the high school students. The players have been happy with this support, but know that they control their own destiny.

Kenny Bixx
Freshman Team

Post by Kenny Bixx »

wellston is bad, barely beat vc and they only did because they had a vc kid. he is good.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If Jaylen Prater plays; don't think for one second that this game won't become something entirely diferent than what people are expecting ... I was down at Wellston last year for the Nelsonville-York-Wellston game and the Rockets, who were huge underdogs and hadn't won a game yet, took the undefeated 'Bucks right down to the wire and into overtime.

This game may actaully be tougher than the Alex game, but that's just my opinion ... and a lot of that depends on Prater ... If he doesn't play I don't know what to expect, hopefully an Athens win and if it's by one point or 30, its still a "W".

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Looks like Prater got some playing time this week against Vinton County. If he is close to 100%, Wellston is a very dangerous football team. They've lost a lot of close games without Jaylen. He could make a huge difference for them down the stretch.

I'll probably take Athens in this game, but it could be VERY close.

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

Athens in a big way IMO

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

I see Athens being challenged, truly challenged, for the first time this year. Wellston is a tough place to play, and the Golden Rockets would love to put an end to the Bulldogs undefeated season.

In my opinion, this will be a very, very close game. Athens 26 Wellston 22

Good luck to both teams!

mr.dude2010
Freshman Team

Post by mr.dude2010 »

wellston is a very tough place to play, look for similar officiating to the athens-VC game... athens can't look past this one wellston is a lot better than their record shows... if athens doesnt come out fired up and ready to play it could be an ugly first half for them i still think athens will win this but it will be a lot closer than people think... good luck to both teams hopefully it will be an injury free game

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

This is a classic "trap" game for the Bulldogs coming off of a emotional victory over a quality Alexander team and maybe looking slightly ahead to the big one with N-Y next week. I look for this one to be very close. I think Athens needs to figure out a way to get out of the blocks faster, this team starts to slow at the beginning of halves and it may cost them in this type of game. I still look for a Bulldog victory but as the say I wouldn't be surprised.

bulldog0909
Freshman Team

Post by bulldog0909 »

Athens linebacker play is the weakest part of their team,they were catching guys all night against alexander. if prater is back and at full health this will be there hardest game yet i believe because that kid runs hard. they haven't faced a premiere running back yet aside from kilby from BC. athens should win this game,but if they go into thinking its an easy one its a rude awakening. and the LB's better learn how to tackle this week,or its gonna be a running attack on them.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Im not one to offer coaching advice or critize any head coach .... but perhaps for this week only you adjust your defense, move some players around and set yourself up to stop a more power running game - which Athens hasn't really seen all year. They played Meigs great on 'D' and contained Jeremy Smith as well as anyone can ... They shut down Lawson and Hedrick ... Kilby actually had a nice game against Athens considering he didn't get a ton of touches (11 carries 40 yds and a TD) but most of those came in the 1st half/they passed the ball all second half.

But after watching Wellston come into Athens last year and basically run over the 'Dogs by scoring 34 points, this game should probably be taken very seriously (which I know Ryan will ... One thing about coach Adams is he's a very smart football coach. Even in high school he was one of the smartest people in the entire school, not only book smart but common sense savy as well.) Im sure he won't let his team look past the Golden Rockets ... But coach Goodwin and the other defensive coaches (who have been doing an unbelievable job this year by the way) may want to copy what the offense has done a few times this year and make personel changes to suit the opponent. Joey Young was thrown in at tailback versus Alexander Friday and hadn't really run the ball much all year ... The end result was pretty successful I would say. I'm not sure who they should move or how they do it, but a little change is sometimes a real good thing at this time of the season .... kids have been out their sweatin and fighting and going to practive every day - dating clear back to when two-a-days started ... Coaches who change it up, keep things interesting and keep challenging the players bodies and minds are usually more successfull during the second half of the season.

But when it comes to Wellston ... Its a tough place to play and every time seen them play their, the Golden Rockets always seem to be really pumped no matter if their 0-6 or 6-0 ... I would like to see Athens come out fired up, have a huge fan following and attempt to overwhelm Wellston from the get-go ... get up early and put them away very early ... Also, it may not be a bad idea to get some bigger, more physical guys to fill in around the middle linebacker area (Not sure what Athens runs every week, I know I have seen Reed Anderson playing a lot behing the nose guard) ... To play against a team that may have a power run game (If Prater plays) then why not switch to a 5-2 with a monster back ... Put Vinnie Rider at left-middle linebacker and Joey Germano and the right-middle backer, and then you can play Anderson at the monster back position ... that only leaves you 3 defensive backs, but Dixon, McCollum, Sharp and some other guys, I believe are fast enough to cover anyone in the TVC-Ohio 1-on-1 ... so who not take away Wellstons ability to run it down your throat?

But hey, im just a guy watching from the 'cheap seats'; whatever Ryan and the staff do I am confident would be better than anything I could think of ...

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Classic "Trap" Game for Athens

If Prater is healthy the Rockets will make this interesting.

If not, Bulldogs....BIG

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

A very dangerous game for Athens. New season for Wellston, starting league play, also Prater nearly back at full strength. They have size and playmakers ( Wilkett, Prater, Osborne, Matteson). They can be pretty good if they get it going and they have the Bulldogs at home. I am sure they have readjusted their goals to compete for the league championship.

Bulldogs need a focused week of practice and MUST take the Rockets seriously.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

I'll know a little more on the status of Jaylen Prater and the other Wellston injuries this week when I talk to Coach Mantell for the weekly Wellston preview piece on Tuesday (for Thursday's edition).

As much as I'd love to see this game, because it should be a good one, The Messenger is covering for me and them.

I'll have Ironton at Jackson this week and Oak Hill at Notre Dame Saturday night in Spartan Stadium.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: TVC-Ohio Athens (6-0) @ Wellston (2-4)

Post by Ironman92 »

Wellston can totally redeem their season by winning this game.

I believe they have a decent chance.

If Athens doesn't break away in the 1st half.......Wellston may knock off one of the undefeated.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: TVC-Ohio Athens (6-0) @ Wellston (2-4)

Post by Orange and Brown »

Any one who has played Wellston in the last few years will tell you... If you don't pull away from Wellston by halftime, then you are in for a long tough night!!

If you let them hang around for 2 quarters they will fight and claw right down to the last play!!

They haven't won a lot of games in the last few years but they got some tough kids!!!!!

Return to “Football”