Power Poll form T_FB_A after week 9

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Power Poll form T_FB_A after week 9

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I started this power ranking last year in response to the Portsmouth Daily Times failure to continue what was one of the better parts of the sports section. The PDT is doing one this year but due to the overall downward spiral that the times has taken in the last few years I will continue mine as well. If you are a reader of both you will notice several differences between the 2, but both these pieces are opinions and we all know that opinions are like, well never mind we all know that old saying.

Here are the rules for my power poll. It will be made up of teams from the SEOAL South, SOC1,and SOC2. I know that this leaves several quality teams out but, these are the teams that I follow the closest and think I know a little about. I know Logan, Marietta, Warren and others would be high on this list but I think I am too far away to give an honest opinion on how good these teams are. If someone doesn’t like it please write your own, I will enjoy reading yours as I hope you do mine.

1.Ironton (7-2) last week # 1- The Fighting Tigers again proved this week why they are the # 1 team on the poll as they defeated, Nelsonville York 32-12. Ironton has clinched a home playoff game with the victory, and currently sits at 2nd in region 15. The Fighting Tigers, are 7-2 with their only loses coming at the hands of D2 9-0 Logan, and 8-1 Ashland KY. This week Ironton will face SEOAL foe Warren. The Warriors enter the game with a 7-2 record, and still mathematically alive in the D2 region 7 playoffs. Ironton will be playing in week 11, win of lose, but a loss would drop them into a 3 tie for 2nd in the SEOAL.

2. Jackson (7-2) last week # 2- The Ironmen dropped their second game of the season, as they lost to Logan 27-7. I though about moving Jackson down the poll this week, but then I thought how could I possibly penalize them for loses to Ironton, and Logan, who are obviously 2 of the best teams in the entire southeast quadrant of the state. Jackson’s wins have come against opponents, who have a less then impressive record, with the exception of a last second victory over a 6-3 Portsmouth team. Although many of the Ironmen’s opponents have less then impressive records most are still strong teams, but play tough schedule, that have resulted in their records. For the Ironmen this is bad news, and part of the reason they sit at 13th in region 12. This week the Ironmen will have an opportunity to pickup another quality win as they travel to Zanesville to take on the 8-1 D2 Blue Devils. Jackson’s playoff hopes are still alive, but will need a win and help to get in.

3. Wheelersburg (7-2) last week # 3- The Pirates kept their chances alive for a playoff berth and a share of the SOC2 title, as they defeated Valley 41-14. The Pirates have played good all year with the exception of a week one loss to the # 1 team on the list, and a week 6 slip up to Minford. In the Pirates other 7 games they have shown why they are the # 3 team on the poll. In addition to the Valley win, they tout quality wins over Portsmouth, and Villa Angelo St. Joseph. The Pirates host West this week, in what will be a chance at more playoff points, and a must win to have a chance at a share of an SOC2 title. The Pirates currently sit 9th in region 19, but a win should assure a playoff spot, and a chance for the Burg to prove to some of their doubters why they sit in the 3rd position.

4. Portsmouth (6-3) last week # 4- The Trojans remain at 4th after defeating D2 SEOAL opponent Marietta 41-14. The Trojans have come on incredibly stronger in the second half of the seasons, and have lost to what I believe to be the 3 best teams in the area. Although the Trojans have played one of the tougher schedules around with several division 2 and 3 teams ,their opponents have not produced the 2nd level points the Trojans would have hoped for. The Trojans are still fighting for a spot in the region 15 playoffs, as they currently sit in 10th, but have a chance of sneaking in the 8th or even 7th spot, with a win over this weeks opponent, the Western Brown Broncos . A win over the Broncos, will bring more level 1 points, but the Trojans will still need the help. There are several scenarios that will keep the Trojans playing in week 11. The Trojans have to just continue to win, and wait for the smoke to clear.

5. Minford(7-2) last week #5- The Falcons remain in the 5th position this week after narrowly avoiding an upset bid by a struggling Waverly team. In the Falcons defense the Tigers offence saw the return of Derek Roback to the QB position, although it was obvious, that he had yet to knock the rust off, as the Falcons defense was able to secure 2 interceptions. This week the Falcons will play for an outright SOC 2 title as they host Valley. Minford currently sits 4th in region 19 and will host a playoff game with a win, however a loss could send the Falcons tumbling down this poll and the region 19 standings. Should make for a great week in Muletown.

6 Oak Hill (9-0) last week # 6- The Oaks kept their perfect record this week as they continued to beat up on inferior division 6 opponents. I would really like to move the Oaks up the poll, and I know many people think that they should be ahead of Minford because they have the head to head victory, however the rest of their schedule has been dreadfully weak. The Oaks however will get a chance to prove themselves, as they currently control their own destiny, in the region 19 playoffs. This week they Oaks will host yet another struggling D6 team in the Green Bobcats. Then in week 11 they will undoubtedly face their strongest opponent of the year as they start the first round of the playoffs.

7. Valley (7-2) last week #7- The Indians dropped their second game of the season, this time costing them a shot at an outright SOC2 title. The Indians played close with the Burg until 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter when they allowed the Pirates to score the 1st of 3 unanswered touchdowns, which resulted in the lopsided score. Although the Indians lost a shot at an outright title, they still have a shot at a share this week, if they could take down Minford. A victory, would give the Indians a chance at a region 19 berth, and would secure a share of their 1st SOC title since moving up for SOC1.

8.West (6-3) last week # 8- The Senator’s picked up a win this week as they defeated Northwest 48-0. West has struggled against inexperience and the flu this season, but has still been able to give themselves a chance to make the playoffs. If the Senators want to postpone getting out the basketballs for another week they will have to knock off the Burg. Both teams need a win to have any chance at the playoffs. A victory isn’t a guarantee that the Senators will be playing in week 11, but I’m sure if the Senators are unable to get in keeping the Burg at home come week 11 would be a nice consolation prize.

9. Symmes Valley (7-2) last week # 9 - The Vikings recovered form a lopsided loss to Oak Hill to beat Notre Dame 21-7. The Vikings remain the only D6 school to crack the top 10 this year, and although they have played one of the weaker schedule I find it hard to fault them since they are a D6 school. Their schedule has made it hard for them to gain any more spots on this poll, but it has been good enough to have them sitting in the # 7 position in region 23. The Vikings appear to be headed to week 11, as they should be able to pick up the win this week against South Gallia.

10 Waverly ( 3-6) last week unranked- The Tigers lost a close game this week with SOC2 front runner Minford. The Tigers however saw Derek Roback and Kevin Malone line up in the backfield together for the first time since week 3. By the way the Tigers only had one loss at that time coming in the form of a 25-33 heartbreaker at the hand of the #2 team on the poll. It was obvious that the Tigers still had some rust to knock off, but it’s clear that if the Tigers would have been able to stay healthy they would be sitting higher then 10th on this poll.

On a special note this week I would like to commend Matt Payton, for making the trip to Marietta, and writing a great article detailing the Trojan's victory. I hope this is an indication of positive things to come for the sports section of the PDT. Hope to see more articles from Matt in the future, as I found it very well written, and with only one error. ( which is far less then some articles put out by the PDT)
Last edited by Trojan_FB_Alum on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Power Poll form T_FB_A after week 9

Post by Bleeding Red »

Great job!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

not nit pickin, but ironton is 7-2. friday is the last regular season game. i just don't want somebody seeing that thinking we all ready won the game, no fuel for fire, so to speak, nice poll.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:not nit pickin, but ironton is 7-2. friday is the last regular season game. i just don't want somebody seeing that thinking we all ready won the game, no fuel for fire, so to speak, nice poll.

Thanks YTB, just a typo.
I had Ironton, at 7-2 next to their ranking, and couldn't find what you were talking about until I through it again. Thought I was going crazy :122248 :lol: :lol:

Truthfully, I hope the Tigers lose, nothing personal but we could really use the 2nd level points. This is one of the few times I have been routing against the Tigers, when they weren't playing my Trojans.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Bleeding Red wrote:Great job!

Thanks BleedingRed,

I hope you are sincere, with your comments, however I'm suspicious , of sarcasm.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Good to see BR jumping on board...... :lol: :lol:

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

If you cant beat them, join them!

This Friday will separate the men from the boys so to speak and those teams who make the playoffs will be ranking themselves and opinion doesnt matter

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Bleeding Red wrote:If you cant beat them, join them!

This Friday will separate the men from the boys so to speak and those teams who make the playoffs will be ranking themselves and opinion doesnt matter

This Friday will not do as much as you may think. Although several teams, will make the playoffs and several won't, it doesn't necessarily make one team that makes the playoffs better then one that didn't. For example Symmes Valley should be in, while Jackson, and West are more then likely both out. Surely you don't think that one is better just because they qualify for the playoffs, and another doesn't. I know what you are thinking, and it would be true, if we all played the same schedule, but we don't, so there are other factors.

However week 11 will bring a chance for some local teams that have yet to proven themselves,. For instance Oak Hill could really prove themselves, in the next few weeks. On the same token, if they were to take one on the chin in the first round, it would really hurt their stock. I'm not saying either one will happen, just giving, an example of how the cream can rise to top in the post season.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:If you cant beat them, join them!

This Friday will not do as much as you may think. Although several teams, will make the playoffs and several won't, it doesn't necessarily make one team that makes the playoffs better then one that didn't. For example Symmes Valley should be in, while Jackson, and West are more then likely both out. Surely you don't think that one is better just because they qualify for the playoffs, and another doesn't. I know what you are thinking, and it would be true, if we all played the same schedule, but we don't, so there are other factors.

However week 11 will bring a chance for some local teams that have yet to proven themselves,. For instance Oak Hill could really prove themselves, in the next few weeks. On the same token, if they were to take one on the chin in the first round, it would really hurt their stock. I'm not saying either one will happen, just giving, an example of how the cream can rise to top in the post season.

The ones that get in the playoffs made what they set out to do at the beginning of the year. That is all that matters. All the goofy polls dont make a hill of beans. They are either in or their season is over.

Mikenmike
JV Team

Post by Mikenmike »

:lol: No need to even bother br even if a soc team won state they aren't passing Portsmouth on this poll (unless it's burg :roll: )

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Bleeding Red wrote:The ones that get in the playoffs made what they set out to do at the beginning of the year. That is all that matters. All the goofy polls dont make a hill of beans. They are either in or their season is over.

I would think that, everyone’s goal is to win a state title, not just make the playoffs. (even though that is something that is very difficult, and rare in this area.) You are right though the polls really mean nothing in the end, whether it's mine the SEOP's, or the AP. However this poll is done with no regard to division, so just because one team advances farther then another doesn't necessarily, make them better. Just as I said in my post before, we don't play the same schedule, and in the playoffs, we won't play the same opponents( for the most part). Example Symmes Valley could win their region, and Ironton could lose the first round, that doesn't make the Vikings better then the Fighting Tigers. The same goes for not making, it in because like I said there are other factors that have gone into whether or not a team made it. An Example of this would be what if Minford were to lose this week to Valley, and miss the playoffs? Would that negate all their other wins? of course not. My point is although the playoffs are where to ultimately prove oneself, no system is is completely flawless. With that said, a long run by a team such as Oak Hill, could really improve their stock, and prove that I have had them to low.

mikenmike wrote::lol: No need to even bother br even if a soc team won state they aren't passing Portsmouth on this poll (unless it's burg :roll: )

That's not true. Any SOC team that makes the playoffs will have a chance to play the type of quality opponents, that will result in them gaining respect and moving up and even to the top of the poll. I just have not been impressed enough by any other SOC team for them to move up any more. Like I’ve said before please feel free to write your own and rank them however you like. This is how I have seen it shape up.

Mikenmike
JV Team

Post by Mikenmike »

If Jackson has any "quality" wins why are they going to most likely miss the playoffs even with a win friday? They would have the same record as minford(if both teams win) yet they are still going to miss the playoffs and minford would host? Same thing for Portsmouth. I just really don't get what you use to rank these teams? You don't use head to head matchups(since burg is ahead of minford and minford over oak hill) and evidently don't use "quality" wins because you have 3 teams in front of minford and oak hill who are on the bubble for playoffs(two of which probably won't make it). There had to get the conversation going :-D . Also, I feel like you are punishing minford still because of the oak hill loss and people seem to forget that minford is one stupid rule and one bad call away from being 9-0.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Quote "5. Minford(7-2) last week #5- The Falcons remain in the 5th position this week after narrowly avoiding an upset bid by a struggling Waverly team. In the Falcons defense the Tigers offence saw the return of Derek Roback to the QB position, although it was obvious, that he had yet to knock the rust off, as the Falcons defense was able to secure 2 interceptions. This week the Falcons will play for an outright SOC 2 title as they host Valley. Minford currently sits 4th in region 19 and will host a playoff game with a win, however a loss could send the Falcons tumbling down this poll and the region 19 standings. Should make for a great week in Muletown."

Quote "If Jackson has any "quality" wins why are they going to most likely miss the playoffs even with a win friday? They would have the same record as minford(if both teams win) yet they are still going to miss the playoffs and minford would host? Same thing for Portsmouth. I just really don't get what you use to rank these teams? You don't use head to head matchups(since burg is ahead of minford and minford over oak hill) and evidently don't use "quality" wins because you have 3 teams in front of minford and oak hill who are on the bubble for playoffs(two of which probably won't make it). There had to get the conversation going . Also, I feel like you are punishing minford still because of the oak hill loss and people seem to forget that minford is one stupid rule and one bad call away from being 9-0."

Its like the BCS. Wins late and how close are compared to the early season LOL. Minford should have killed them. Minford should have won it big like west and Burg, but they didnt, no matter who is QB. Minford and Burg had the teams and Minford and burg wiped Waverly off the map last year. Same Waverly team this year but woefully different scores.

Mikenmike
JV Team

Post by Mikenmike »

If it's like the bcs then burg would not be ahead of minford and minford would not be ahead of oak hill. Also if you was at the game you would know that waverly-minford score is very misleading.

Dean
Freshman Team

Post by Dean »

Any time a poll such as this one is made some people are going to object. My objection is trying to figure out the logic of having Wheelersburg ahead of Minford and Minford ahead of Oak Hill when the one true way to measure teams is head to head and this poll has totally disregarded the results of head to head matchups. Could you please explain your logic?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

OK I cant behave anymore.

Portsmouth Daily Times rankings are as follows:

1.) Minford- reason is the beat Burg
2.) Burg- beat everyone else but Minford
3.) Oak Hill- beat everyone so far!
4.) Portsmouth

But the PDT doesnt rank Ironton, so I would have to rank them in this order:

Lets call this the WEEK 10 Southern Ohio Football Rankings....I will just start a post! It will be done momentarily, check it out.

west siders
All State

Post by west siders »

I would take Oak hill and Minford over portsmouth any day!
this is what I think

1.Ironton
2.Oak Hill
3.Jackson
4.Minford
5.Wheelersburg
6.Portsmouth
7.Valley
8.Portsmouth West
9.Waverly
10.Symmes Valley

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

west siders wrote:I would take Oak hill and Minford over portsmouth any day!
this is what I think

1.Ironton
2.Oak Hill
3.Jackson
4.Minford
5.Wheelersburg
6.Portsmouth
7.Valley
8.Portsmouth West
9.Waverly
10.Symmes Valley

Check out my rankings under "Southern Ohio Football Rankings". I have included Lawrence Co, Scioto, Jackson and Pike.

Let me know what you think.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

This poll is a representation of my opinion, of who I think the best teams are. When ranking them I consider a teams over all schedule and how they have preformed over the course of the year. I don’t like to penalize a team for having one bad night or reward another for having a great night. Point is the way I have these teams rank is a representative of who I believe has the strongest body of work. These rankings for the most part are who I think would win the most games if each team played against each other 10 times. I said for the most part because there are some exceptions, for example Gallia Academy is not on the poll with only 1 win, however I think they would win against a few on the poll, but with one win it is impossible to justify that.

I know some SOC fans out here want Minford, and Oak Hill higher, but I’m sorry I have not been impressed enough to bump either up the poll. The Oaks very well may be a great team, that may make a very long run in the playoffs, but at this point they have yet to prove anything. They only have one quality win. They have had a cake walk all year long. To me beating up on the likes of Notre Dame and Green just doesn’t deserve, to get bumped up any higher.
As for Minford, they have the loss to Oak Hill, which really hurt them, however they were able to rebound, and sneak past the Burg and beat West. Minford’s stock has rose with those victories and that’s why they are ahead of the Oaks, however haven’t done enough in my mind to justify them moving any higher. This past week they struggled against a down and out Waverly team, to reinforce what I previously thought.

Others think Jackson is to high. The Ironmen’s only loses have come in the form of 27-7, and 28-7 loses to Ironton and Logan respectively. If there is anyone out there that thinks their team could do better against them let me assure you now that you are CRAZY. Other then that Jackson has the quality win over Portsmouth, and a healthy Waverly team when they were hitting on all cylinders. In addition, Jackson proved they have more then just their starters, as they were able to defeat Gallia Academy without the services of their 2 starting running backs. By the way I know Gallia is 1-8, but take a look at their schedule before you dog them.

Now lets talk about the team that most of you love to hate, The Portsmouth Trojans. The Trojans had the 1 slip up to the Burg. That was a game where we totally got destroyed, but it’s still just one game. The next week the Trojans responded but lost a heartbreaker to Jackson, who I have already justified. From that point on the Trojans have been lights out, with the exception of the loss to Ironton, which was a very close game no matter what some of you believe. ( if you were their you know that game was one play away from getting real interesting.) One of those lights out wins for the Trojans was the 28-7 upset victory over previously undefeated D2 Warren.( by the way for those of you that like to compare scores that’s worse then Logan beat them, but I don’t like to compare scores)

Now for the 2nd team that everyone seems to have a vendetta against the Wheelersburg Pirates. The Pirates have the lose to Ironton, but no other team on the list could hang with them either. Then the Burg had the lose to Minford, but that’s still just one game. The rest of their schedule has seen them blow out Portsmouth( which has been justified as a quality opponent), and wins against Valley, and an VASJ team that is still in the playoff hunt with their 4-5 record( that really says something about their strength of schedule). I know every hates the Burg, and want them to get knocked down a few spots because of the Minford lose, but I still say that if given the chance in the playoff the Burg will prove me right.

Mikenmike
JV Team

Post by Mikenmike »

:roll: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66028

Follow me to the true polls!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Return to “Football”