FINAL D2 R7 RANKINGS

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Division 2 Region 7

Post by trojandave »

Logan has a good enough team to advance, but the SEOAL once again has not really put the Chieftains to a serious test.......the Ironton game was the only one that was contested into the 4th quarter.......and LHS still won by 2 scores.

Playing Marion-Franklin or Brookhaven presents the always difficult task of playing a team that normally has plenty of speed.......haven't seen the Chieftains play this year but I would have to think that the SEOAL doesn't present nearly the speed at so many positions that a City League school can.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

trojandave wrote:Logan has a good enough team to advance, but the SEOAL once again has not really put the Chieftains to a serious test.......the Ironton game was the only one that was contested into the 4th quarter.......and LHS still won by 2 scores.

Playing Marion-Franklin or Brookhaven presents the always difficult task of playing a team that normally has plenty of speed.......haven't seen the Chieftains play this year but I would have to think that the SEOAL doesn't present nearly the speed at so many positions that a City League school can.

Dave -

After seeing Lousiville last fall, I think Logan fans recognize what teams speed can do. That Louisville defense is easily the fastest defense I have ever seen, and I have been going to the state football finals for almost 10 years. The only teams that come close are Colerain in about 2005 (when they won state) and Hilliard Davidson in 2006 (they also won state, and Logan played them in the first round of the playoffs).

With that said, with this Logan team I am much less worried about speed than I am strength. I think we can hold our own in the speed department. Not to say we can MATCH the city league schools, but I don't think they'll blow us out in the speed department.

Meanwhile, teams who can really push people around (like Pickerington North) would be my biggest worry. We don't have a ton of size on either side of the ball, and teams with big, strong, and athletic lines give me pause.

But let's face it. When you get to the playoffs, especially in our region, there aren't any free passes. About 10 teams in Region 7 are darn good and atleast 7 of them are going to make the playoffs.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Re: DIVISION 2 REGION 7

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I don't know how the chips will fall but I can tell ya that many of our loyal Athens fans are comin' to the Res next week to support our old rival Chieftans.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Canal is about 10 minutes from the house and are very well coached but I don't feel are as good as they were last year. A buddy of mine at work helps coach Marion-Franklin and they are very athletic but do lack some discipline at times as do most city league teams. They can score 40 on you or have 5 turnovers and lose by 20, you just never know. Good luck Logan :)

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

A-Town Big Dog wrote:I don't know how the chips will fall but I can tell ya that many of our loyal Athens fans are comin' to the Res next week to support our old rival Chieftans.

good deal!! thats a good way to start re-newing to old teams. theres alot of bad feelings in LOGAN after athens bolted from the league after the expansion.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

FINAL D2 R7 RANKINGS

Post by 1987chieftains »

1 10-0 Louisville clinched #1 seed
2 10-0 LOGANclinched home game
3 8-2 Columbus Brookhaven clinched home game
4 8-2 Olentangy Orange clinched home game
5 9-1 Dresden Tri-Valley clinched playoff spot
6 8-2 Columbus Walnut Ridge clinched playoff spot
7 8-2 Canal Winchester Canal Winchester clinched playoff spot
8 8-2 Columbus Marion-Franklin clinched playoff spot

9 5-5 Columbus St Charles mathematically eliminated
10 7-3 New Albany mathematically eliminated
11 9-1 New Philadelphia mathematically eliminated
12 9-1 The Plains Athens mathematically eliminated
13 9-1 Zanesville mathematically eliminated
14 7-3 Columbus Beechcroft mathematically eliminated
15 6-4 Sunbury Big Walnut mathematically eliminated
16 7-3 Vincent Warren mathematically eliminated
17 6-4 Columbus Whetstone mathematically eliminated
18 5-5 Dublin Scioto mathematically eliminated
19 5-5 Uniontown Lake mathematically eliminated
20 5-5 Dublin Jerome mathematically eliminated
21 4-6 Columbus Independence mathematically eliminated
22 3-7 Lewis Center Olentangy mathematically eliminated
23 2-8 Hilliard Hilliard Bradley mathematically eliminated
24 3-7 Columbus Briggs mathematically eliminated
25 2-8 Pataskala Watkins Memorial mathematically eliminated
26 2-8 Columbus Mifflin mathematically eliminated
27 1-9 Canton Timken mathematically eliminated
28 1-9 Marietta mathematically eliminated
29 0-9 Columbus Centennial mathematically eliminated
- 0-10 Columbus Hamilton Township mathematically eliminated
Last edited by 1987chieftains on Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: FINAL D2 R7 RANKINGS

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

athens had to know this would happen , being d2, in the tvc, 9-1. sitting home.

it's all about schedule strength.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

i have to agree YTB. i know LOGAN is in the same boat, kinda. but athens picked to leave a bigger league for a small TVC. i think the powers that be in athens want a all athens league. something like you'd see in the 50's or 60's. they seem to be happy playing the same teame year after year after year.

PremithiumX
Waterboy

Post by PremithiumX »

1987chieftains wrote:they seem to be happy playing the same teame year after year after year.

Doesn't that happen regardless of what conference you're in?

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

Interesting looking over the Division II Region 7 results. This region had three teams finish 9-1 and not make the playoffs. No other region had any team with a 9-1 record not qualify.

Also if New Philly and Athens are in Region 8 They both qualify.

Zanesville’s only loss was to Logan the #2 team in the region and still didn’t make the cut.

In the case of New Philly and Athens not playing teams their size really hurt them with their bids for the playoffs.

The team I feel for is Zanesville their schedule included 2 Division 1 teams, and 3 Division 2 teams. Unfortunately the two D I teams they played were a combined 1-19 and while their one loss was to Logan their other two D II opponents were 6-14.

Doesn’t do you any good to schedule same size opponents if they all have terrible years.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

It appears that Logan will have quite a road to the regional championship. Its still too early to tell for sure but it appears like they would most likely need to defeat Canal Winchester (Logan should be favored at home in that one), Brookhaven and then most likely Louisville. That would be quite a run. Logan does have the athletes to make a run. Lets hope they have been tested enough in 2009 to handle some good D2 schools.
Good Luck Chieftans.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

PremithiumX wrote:
1987chieftains wrote:they seem to be happy playing the same teame year after year after year.

IN YOUR LEAGUE SCHEDULE... YES, BUT, YOUR NON-LEAGUE... NO.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

8/28 D3 Gallia Academy (2-8) W 21-0
9/4 D5 Federal Hocking (3-7) W 47-7
9/11 D4 Bloom-Carroll (2-8) W 41-14
9/18 D4 Meigs (5-5) W 56-18
9/25 D3 Vinton County (1-9) W 42-0
10/2 D4 Alexander (8-2) W 33-7
10/9 D4 Wellston (3-7) W 26-0
10/16 D5 Nelsonville-York (8-2) L 13-14
10/23 D5 Belpre (0-10) W 35-0

10/30 D6 Wahama (WV) (7-2) W 36-20
outside of TVC teams look at who was scheduled. 2 2-8 teams and last minute WV team :shock:
a combind 39W-60L. they played 2 D3, 4 D4, 3 D5 and a D6 team from WV. and there a D2 team :shock: :roll: :shock:
1 loss to a D5 team.
7 times they scored 30 or more pts, posted 4 shut outs, went 9-1 and you still missed the playoffs.
playing smaller teams is a fact of life in a league but, when there all 10 teams are smaller..... :shock:
i was reading on some thread that they where upset b/c weren't ranked very high. all you have to do is look at the stength schedule.
i know there trying to re-build there fb program and the way they're doing it is fine if that is what they want to do but, don't be upset b/c your not making the playoffs.

PremithiumX
Waterboy

Post by PremithiumX »

1987chieftains wrote:
PremithiumX wrote:

IN YOUR LEAGUE SCHEDULE... YES, BUT, YOUR NON-LEAGUE... NO.

Yeah, I was under the impression you were talking about the TVC... no biggie.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

just makes the end that much sweeter knowing competition that you went through.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Yes, Athens finds themselves in a 'Live and Learn' situation this season ...

Athens had to rely on all their Ranking Points coming out of their TVC League Opponents this season and found it out what happens when your non-league schedule doesn't turn out the way you had hoped...

With all that being said, Athens finishing 12th in the Region, is quite a feat when you look at the fact that their non-league opponents finished (2-8)(3-7)(2-8)(7-2) which comes out to (14-25) ... only one had a winning record ...

Athens has already tackled the problem of strength of schedule for next season by keeping Gallia Academy (DIII), adding Warren (DII), Chillicothe (DIII) and Parkersburg-South, while also dropping Federal Hocking (DVI) due to the Hocking Division Expansion & Losing Belpre (DVI) due to them joining the Hocking Division ...

By doing some work to their schedule, Athens hope that if they finish (9-1) come next season that they will be in the Play-Offs ... an yes people in Athens are upset that they are not in the Play-Offs, but not because they feel slighted, but simply because they just missed out this season with a Team they felt good about... thats all...like I said, it is a Live and Learn situation for the Dogs ...
Last edited by questionmark on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”