S

Belpre Coach

Post by Eaglepapaw »

Word has it that Curt Shriver has resigned as Belpre football coach today

zerotosixtynforty
JV Team

Re: Belpre Coach

Post by zerotosixtynforty »

Thats what i heard tonight too.... any candidates yets for next year? Hope for the best for the players for next year. . . .

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

WOW!.....Why?

Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

any teaching jobs? any insiders wanting the job? where is mister b when you need him?

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I think its bad for Belpre , I thought Shriver done a good Job . They won the Ohio division two years ago with 26 players.

bullfrog93
Freshman Team

Post by bullfrog93 »

It just seems odd given that Belpre has a chnace to be fairly dominant in the Hocking.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I have to agree also.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Maybe he is moving on to another job.

Bishtakes
Riding the Bench

Post by Bishtakes »

There's more to this and I want to know. Everybody wants to know. I've seen him at away wrestling and track meets and he wasn't even the coach. He's a great supporter of the kids. Heck, he should move to Buckeye Nation to teach and would make a great asst to coach Boston and the staff.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Agreed Bishtakes, he is a great guy . I think they are making a bad move here.

otterslide
JV Team

Post by otterslide »

The school didn't make this move. Coach Shriver made the decision.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

otterslide wrote:The school didn't make this move. Coach Shriver made the decision.

I heard the same thing Slide,I also heard he was talking to people at Warren(rumor).Any idea who may be applying for Belpre coaching job? Only ones I heard of is Jeff and Greg Adams might be interested.How about you Slide,you have coaching experience?

zerotosixtynforty
JV Team

What about coach buttrey from PHS??? he's available. . . .

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

otterslide wrote:The school didn't make this move. Coach Shriver made the decision.

Agreed.

I was both shocked and saddened to hear coach Shriver had decided to step down as head coach. He is a first rate person, teacher and coach. As mentioned above by Bishtakes, even when he is not involved with a program, he is there to support the other coaches and their players.

Coach Shriver took over the program when our other head coach stepped down 2 weeks before the season started. During that season, Belpre defeated Williamstown, WV to stop their state record winning streak, they became the first TVC Ohio team to beat Nelsonville at Boston Field in a very long time, they won their first TVC championship in football since 1988 and also qualified for the state playoffs for the first time since 1988. Belpre has only had 3 winning seasons this decade and coach Shriver led us to our last winning season. When he took over as coach, we only had varsity football, there was no JV team. He worked hard to get boys to come out and to field a JV team, something we haven't had in 7 seasons prior to him becoming the head coach. He accomplished much in his 3 short years. Most of our games this season we played shorthanded as many injuries and some issues with eligibility depleted the roster. When you have as many as 5 2-way staters out almost every game, it becomes very difficult to play your best. The kids played hard and some of them would play different positions from week to week so the team could be it's best. While this year was a downer in terms of our record, the foundation for a better season next year has been laid through his hard work.

Coach Shriver will be missed as the head coach. While I respect his decision to step down and his right to do so, I am saddened by it. Curt, his wife and 2 children are excellent people to have as members of the town of Belpre and involved with our school system. I have great respect for his hard work and wish him the best in everything that he does.

zerotosixtynforty
JV Team

Coaching is a Bull ride, your on top one second then thrown to the ground the next, is it ever fair?. . . Wins and losses is your judge, jury, & executioner. . .Rhino skin is a plus because your gonna take alot of attacks both personally, and professionally. Long hours for little pay. . .if any. . time away from family. . .and aways little johnny's dad thinks your an idiot when u lose and when u win its because you took his advice and did this or changed that for this game or that game. . .armchair quarterbacks are plenty,. .. everyones ur friend when u win and doors close fast when u lose. . .Opinion's are great and given freely. . . . . . .WITH THAT BEING SAID. . . . Being a good person doesn't result in being a good coach, being a good teacher dosen't result in being a good coach, being a great supporter of kids doesn't result in being a good coach, if it were then everyone who dawns a whistle, stopwatch, & hat would be a good coach. . .Tressel, Saban, Bowden, Holtz, & others. . . great coaches, some would agree and some disagree. . .Coach Shriver, good coach? some would agree, some not. .just as Coach C before him and Coach Bolen before and so on and so on. . .So Belpre moves on to a new tomorrow. . and what is tomorrow? Tomorrow is the Today you talked about Yesterday. . .and there is always a new one coming. . just as coaches. . .Good luck coach Shriver and best wishes to the new coach for Belpre. . . .

Rutterkickballer
Freshman Team

Post by Rutterkickballer »

If Belpre wants to win, they should HIRE A RUTTER!

eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

anything new on this front? haven't heard much at all.

zerotosixtynforty
JV Team

word is that nothing is going to be done til after the holidays, mid january or so. . . .not sure when position is going to be posted. . . just what i heard. . .

screamineagle54
Waterboy

Post by screamineagle54 »

I was told from a source that the A.D. told curt that he couldn't get him three votes from the board of education. I was also told by the another source that Curt had no support from his superiors.

What are your thoughts mister b?

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I say your source isn't very good.

From my earlier post above, my feelings on this are well known.

Return to “Football”