What happened to Valley?

Maverick4
Waterboy

What happened to Valley?

Post by Maverick4 »

Haven't been down to The South inn a few years but I like to stay updated by reading this forum. Did Valley run out of talent or did something happen at the school?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: What happened to Valley?

Post by danicalifornia »

Graduation. Lost a great class last year and now going through some growing pains. Without knowing what is coming up through the system, I'd say that they won't be down long.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

danicalifornia wrote:Graduation. Lost a great class last year and now going through some growing pains. Without knowing what is coming up through the system, I'd say that they won't be down long.
I have seen what they have coming up and they will be down for a few years at least

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

JTEK wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:Graduation. Lost a great class last year and now going through some growing pains. Without knowing what is coming up through the system, I'd say that they won't be down long.
I have seen what they have coming up and they will be down for a few years at least
i've talked to several friends from valley and they have all said there is nothin comin up for the indians. could be a long few yrs on the gridiron and on the hardwood

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Mad-Dogg wrote:
JTEK wrote:
i've talked to several friends from valley and they have all said there is nothin comin up for the indians. could be a long few yrs on the gridiron and on the hardwood
That's what I was told also. They had a very nice run of athletes, but most small school go through this

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

They have a group that is 6th graders that are talented. I have a nephew in the group. For the last couple years they have kinda been tabbed the saving grace for Valley as most people I've talked to that are close to their program don't expect much till then. That group is good, but they have had some internal problems with parents that coach pushing their son's and causing animosity. Word is a couple of the better athletes may transfer.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

The sophomore class is good and they have some good sized freshmen it all depends on how they develop

Red97
Waterboy

Post by Red97 »

It's very disappointing to have to see these kids go through this this year. Everyone has to realize most of these kids have very little if no varsity time prior to this season. With the scores last years senior group put up there was no excuse for these kids not to get anymore playing time then they got.Its like Crabtree wasn't looking into the future at all.Now with Valley entering week 5 0-4 he's seeing the product of that.Plus with loosing there good OC Rolfe the play calling this year has suffered for Valley which doesn't help either.Since 2010 Valley has been Atleast 8-2 with teams that were loaded with raw talent that did not need a lot of coaching until this year. This group of seniors have been over looked the past three years where just a littl bit of coach could have made a big difference. There is definitely some skilled kids in this group that was not coached up to there potential.Valley has some talent coming up Atleast over the next 6 years. It's going to be interesting to see how this season effects Darren's teams to come. Good Luck Boys play you hearts out.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Post by Voice of Reason »

This group has had little to no varsity time because they aren't good enough. That's the bottom line. There are 2-3 of them that contributed in the past but there just isn't talent. The junior and senior groups have never won at anything. Doesn't make them bad kids. Just not good athletes. But, to doubt a coach with Crabtree's track record is laughable. If these kids lack in talent, not much can be done. But all the experience in the world isn't going to help a group that can't run, catch, block, tackle, etc. From what I have heard from some reliable sources, no leadership and terrible work ethic has been a problem with the upperclassmen. I don't know that I've ever read a less informed or unrealistic post. The senior class just has little to no ability as football players.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Post by Voice of Reason »

Also, I'd be willing to bet you are selling the young Indians short in both football and basketball. Sophomores through 8th grade have real competitive classes that have won some in both sports. I've watched the 6th grade class win at everything, haven't heard of any internal problems with that group but you never know. What I do know is that anyone that has built a program with valley's success has earned the right for 1 or 2 rebuilding years out of 25. Get a grip people.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

One problem Valley is gonna have is all of the other teams in the league are really young. Minford, West, Wheelersburg. I know West starts 2-3 seniors on defense and 2 on offense.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

up until the last game you would been right about no leadership. For the first time this year I seen kids pumped up and looking like they was having fun. Players was going up to other players on the sidelines encouraging them to stay in the game and to keep fighting. It's funny that it was mostly the sophomores doing this and not the upperclassmen. I think valley will be fine if they keep everyone at the school. There have been a few rumors of kids transferring out but I think it's mostly been parents not used to loosing and overreacting.

Voice of Reason wrote:This group has had little to no varsity time because they aren't good enough. That's the bottom line. There are 2-3 of them that contributed in the past but there just isn't talent. The junior and senior groups have never won at anything. Doesn't make them bad kids. Just not good athletes. But, to doubt a coach with Crabtree's track record is laughable. If these kids lack in talent, not much can be done. But all the experience in the world isn't going to help a group that can't run, catch, block, tackle, etc. From what I have heard from some reliable sources, no leadership and terrible work ethic has been a problem with the upperclassmen. I don't know that I've ever read a less informed or unrealistic post. The senior class just has little to no ability as football players.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

It is hard to believe that anyone would blame the current situation at Valley on coaching. Anyone who has been paying any attention at all knew this was coming. Over the last few years myself and others had mentioned on this site that Valley should enjoy the ride, because things were going to be very different once last years class was gone.

A nice facility, a well run program and excellent coaches all help. But more than anything else you need the athletes. I look for Valley to become more competitive over the next few years but nowhere near where they were recently.

AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

Voice of Reason wrote:This group has had little to no varsity time because they aren't good enough. That's the bottom line. There are 2-3 of them that contributed in the past but there just isn't talent. The junior and senior groups have never won at anything. Doesn't make them bad kids. Just not good athletes. But, to doubt a coach with Crabtree's track record is laughable. If these kids lack in talent, not much can be done. But all the experience in the world isn't going to help a group that can't run, catch, block, tackle, etc. From what I have heard from some reliable sources, no leadership and terrible work ethic has been a problem with the upperclassmen. I don't know that I've ever read a less informed or unrealistic post. The senior class just has little to no ability as football players.
Great Post!!

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Seldom do you see that many really good classes one after the other like Valley had. It was as much basketball success as it was football that fed each other. It was also helped by Northwest being even more pathetic than normal. For years Northwest at least had a good basketball team, but that's even gone anymore so alot of athletes went to Valley. Really the only choices for those kids are Valley or West. Football wise you will probably see West pick up a few of these kids as they are looking good for the next several years.
As was mentioned loosing Scott Rolfe is a big deal. He was not only an excellent basketball and football coach, but he brought unity between the sports that won't exist now. Too often now friction exists between football and basketball coaches trying to get kids to focus on one or the other. Valley's good athletes seemed to excel at both. Not sure this will continue and the new basketball coach wasn't the most popular choice to get the job anyways.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The only small schools you dont see have dry spells are the ones around bigger areas that recruit (private schools). It is impossible for a school to have the success Valley had every year. Heck, the run they had as the smallest school in the SOC II is something they should be proud of in itself.

Its not all about great coaching. Crabtree (as much as I have despised him the past few years lol) has done a great job. Rolfe not coaching WILL hurt, but none of that compares to either having talent to coach or you dont. Its impossible to utilize talent you dont have.

I agree with Westfan. Minford, West, Burg......all young. Looking at the past few jr high seasons, Valley doesnt have really strong classes coming up. I know at Minford their freshman and sophomore classes are strong and their current 8th grade class is unreal. The cupboard is full in some schools but I am afraid Valley is going to be off the radar as a competitor in the SOC II for a while. Nothing wrong with that, it happens. It should not tarnish the success they had the past 5 years.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

These cycles happen in smaller schools.

Sometimes the cycles are extended by kids (parents) in MS that maybe are pretty athletic seeing that it may be a thin career moving through High School and leave to "greener" pastures. This just extends the "down" cycle.

My bet in 2-4 years they get back on track. But the run they had by any accounts was pretty special.

AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

Who should of got the basketball job? I think Coach Phillips will encourage the kids to play every sport. Sounds like you wanted the basketball job. Anyways, like Abe said talent runs in cycles in smaller schools. This is the first time Valley has been down in I don't know how many years. Valley has always been successful in football since Crabtree took over and yes Valley basketball was brought back when Rolfe took over. When you win people talk about how good you are but when you lose watch out. Winning cures everything. Go Valley!

Bo_Diaz
JV Team

Post by Bo_Diaz »

Valley doesn't have much of a dry spell coming in my opinion. The junior and senior classes were never competitive in Jr high, the last 3 classes have been. Is it going to be regional title type talent? Probably tough to say that, winning seasons and playoff contention aren't far away. And from what I've seen, they have a couple of Jr high kids that are pretty darn good.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Bo_Diaz wrote:Valley doesn't have much of a dry spell coming in my opinion. The junior and senior classes were never competitive in Jr high, the last 3 classes have been. Is it going to be regional title type talent? Probably tough to say that, winning seasons and playoff contention aren't far away. And from what I've seen, they have a couple of Jr high kids that are pretty darn good.
100%

Return to “Football”