SEOP

Name the top 5 games in your schools history

Post by Poo Bear »

I am super interested to hear from NY, Logan , Burg , ironton

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Name the top 5 games in your schools history

Post by Ironman92 »

We looking for the best battles or what?

Jackson:

1. Jackson over Withrow...that game was incredible and IMO the best team Jackson has ever defeated. We've never faced anyone like Donte Love. 2005?

That's the one that really jumps out to me with a large number of games that could be somewhere in the top 10 and as I perceive "top 5 games"...unfortunately could be losses that were great games.

Jackson vs Hillsboro 1996

Jackson vs Youngstown East 1997
Jackson vs Athens 1990 (ESPN game)
Jackson vs Gallia Academy about 5x but mostly losses 1995-2005

Jackson vs Ironton a few times 1979-80, game during Wolford years

Jackson vs Chillicothe 2-3 times

Jackson vs Marietta in that crazy 50-48 type game...it was terrible defense or I could put it way up there. Around 2005-06

Jackson vs Warren late 90's

Had a couple good ones with Waverly, couple around 2000 with Wellston

The game against Patrick Henry around 2002 or 03 was excellent.

02 will chime in hopefully

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

For wellston

It would have to be their 2 playoff games even thou both loses......

After that any win ever vs jackson lol

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Here is my top 5 games for burg.

1989: state title game
1997: state semi finals against versailles
2004: wk 6 vs ports. They line up in shotgun on 1st n goal on about the 8 and the ball is picked off and returned ro the house by smiley for the game tying td
2008: wk 1 vs ironton. Burg won 23-22 on a last sec td
2015: state semi finals against cold h2o

2009: wk 3 burg rolls ports 68-14 to hand them their first loss at the new diggs.

09 is a toss up for me between the 04 game. I couldn't decide which

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

2004 regional final loss to Amanda. Receiver wide open in the endzone and drops the pass..
2014 regional loss to Hartley. Probably the best high school football game I've ever seen...
2015 win over Jackson. Larry hall was as mad as he's ever been! Haha
1989 state championship. Lol not that I seen it.. I was 2!

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

And I don't have a 5th yet..

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

For Oak Hill, in no particular order:
2012 vs Hillsdale in the playoffs; down 20-7 at halftime and won 29-26.
2012 @ Minford. Week 5. Both teams 4-0. Minford won 20-19 in triple overtime. For a non-playoff game, best atmosphere I have seen for a week 5 game.
2010 vs. Minford at Alumni Stadium in Jackson; 2nd round of playoffs. Oak Hill was down something like 17-7 at the half and came back and won 31-27.
2010 @ Symmes Valley. Symmes was 6-0. Oak Hill was 5-1. Oak Hill was up 14-7 at the half and then Westen Hale put on a show. He had 18 carries for 348 yards and 5 touchdowns, and only had 18 rushing yards and 1 touchdown at the half.
2007 vs. Meigs. Meigs won 40-30. Jesse Slone is a freshmen for Oak Hill. He goes 14-18 for 358 yards 4 touchdowns and a rushing touchdown. Put him on everybody's radar. However, Cornelious English put on a clinic. 14 rushes for 315 yards, 5 touchdowns, a kickoff returned for a touchdown. On defense, 15 tackles, 2 sacks, and an interception. It is the only time I have seen an individual single-handedly do everything he possible could to make sure his team won. I think he even kicked a PAT that game.
*2010-Oak Hill vs Wheelersburg. Oak Hill won 29-22. First time Oak Hill had beaten Wheelersburg since the 1960's and Jesse Slone for Oak Hill and Burg's running back, Shankweiler, both put on a show.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Mad-Dogg wrote:Here is my top 5 games for burg.

2004: wk 6 vs ports. They line up in shotgun on 1st n goal on about the 8 and the ball is picked off and returned ro the house by smiley for the game tying td

2009: wk 3 burg rolls ports 68-14 to hand them their first loss at the new diggs.

Dogg, last years game against coldh2o would be in the top 5 a** whoopins of all time. Lol

stickem
Freshman Team

Post by stickem »

burggrad6 i really like your list, i would add 2002 burg @ valley, coach lewis's first win at wheelersburg, burg came in at 0-2, if memory serves me right i could be wrong matt weaver hit chris webb in the endzone as time expired to tie the game up, this was after everybody started leaving the game, and the valley cheerblock standing in the corner of the endzone ready to storm the field, jonathan dunham would go on later in overtime to run the nail in the coffin for a 27-26 win.

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Minford-Wheelersburg 2009
-Falcons hold on a Burg 2 pt conversion attempt to hold on to a 16-15 win at Minford.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

knowledge wrote:Minford-Wheelersburg 2009
-Falcons hold on a Burg 2 pt conversion attempt to hold on to a 16-15 win at Minford.
Come on KP u just had to bring that up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Mad-Dogg wrote:Here is my top 5 games for burg.

Can't believe you didn't throw the 86 CAPE game on your short list MD

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

My Top Games For Wheelersburg ONLY Consist Of Games I've Personally Watched.
SO No The 89 Championship Isn't On Here!

2004 Playoff Amanda Clearcreek Bad Loss, But A Great Game!
2007 Playoff Fredricktown Down 28-7 At Half! Comeback To Force OT!! Fell Short But MAN WHAT A GAME!
2008 Home Win Against Ironton. Favorite Home Game! GREAT 1 Foot In TD To Tie And XP To Win!
2014 Playoff Bishop Hartley Could Be The Best Game I've Ever Watched In High School!
2015 Away Jackson Being STUNNED By The Burg!!

Honorable Mention::
2009 Home Cincinnati Schroder Pedia ONLY Cause OF The HALFTIME Drumline and Majorettes Twirling Fire!!

Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

For Trimble:

#1- State Semifinal v. Western Reserve 2013

#2- Regional Final v. Shadyside 2013

#3- 2nd Round Playoffs v. Stub. Cath. Cent. 2013

#4- Wahama 2013

#5- Regional Final v. Shadyside 2014

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

For Portsmouth West the 02 post season.
1 New Lexington total dominating performance from West
2 Coshocton which beat us in regular season.
3 Portsmouth which also beat us in regular.
4 Youngstown Ursaline most athletic team I every seen wow. Had 5 or 6 D1 athletes.
5 Kenton State championship game probably best highschool football player I ever seen in Ben Mauk. I think that year he threw for over 6000 yrds and rushed for over 1500 had I believe 70 some tds. I have to look it up.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

BigBlueNation wrote:For Portsmouth West the 02 post season.
1 New Lexington total dominating performance from West first playoff win ever.
2 Coshocton which beat us in regular season.
3 Portsmouth which also beat us in regular.
4 Youngstown Ursaline most athletic team I every seen wow. Had 5 or 6 D1 athletes.
5 Kenton State championship game probably best highschool football player I ever seen in Ben Mauk. I think that year he threw for over 6000 yrds and rushed for over 1500 had I believe 70 some tds. I have to look it up.
I looked it up Ben Mauk Sr year 6540 passing 1388 rushing 76 td.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Burg Hartley 2014, no one outside of burg gave those kids any chance and they gave Hartley all they wanted and then some.

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Mad-Dogg wrote:
knowledge wrote:Minford-Wheelersburg 2009
Come on KP u just had to bring that up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey, you gotta enjoy them when they come Dogg!

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

1989 Waverly defeated CAPE (ranked #1 in state) in the first round of the playoffs.
1969 Last game of the year (I think) with no playoffs, Waverly played #8 in AA Jackson to a 14-14 tie. There were only two classes then, A and AA.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Ironman92 wrote:We looking for the best battles or what?

Jackson:

1. Jackson over Withrow...that game was incredible and IMO the best team Jackson has ever defeated. We've never faced anyone like Donte Love. 2005?

That's the one that really jumps out to me with a large number of games that could be somewhere in the top 10 and as I perceive "top 5 games"...unfortunately could be losses that were great games.

Jackson vs Hillsboro 1996

Jackson vs Youngstown East 1997
Jackson vs Athens 1990 (ESPN game)
Jackson vs Gallia Academy about 5x but mostly losses 1995-2005

Jackson vs Ironton a few times 1979-80, game during Wolford years

Jackson vs Chillicothe 2-3 times

Jackson vs Marietta in that crazy 50-48 type game...it was terrible defense or I could put it way up there. Around 2005-06

Jackson vs Warren late 90's

Had a couple good ones with Waverly, couple around 2000 with Wellston

The game against Patrick Henry around 2002 or 03 was excellent.

02 will chime in hopefully
Nice list of some great games.

Jackson was an 8 seed in 2004 when they beat 1 seed Withrow in the first round of the playoffs. Withrow had several guys who went on to play D1 football and Dante Love was one of the best athletes I have ever seen at the high school level. That Jackson team, led by the great Jared Humphreys, had underachieved during the season, but they pulled out a thrilling 36-35 win.

The 1996 game against Hillsboro was Jackson's first playoff win, and quite possibly their best team ever. The Ironmen were hampered by injuries, but they beat Hillsboro (led by future NFL player TJ Turner) 7-3 in the snow and sleet in Spartan Stadium.

The 20-14 loss to Youngstown East in the 1997 playoffs was a tough pill to swallow. I felt like Jackson was the better team, but PJ Mays was unstoppable that night.

I wasn't at the 1990 Jackson/Athens game, but I believe Athens ended up winning 42-38 in a controversial game. It cost Jackson what would have been their first playoff appearance, but ended up giving Athens a 42-0 throttling at the hands of DeSales in the 1st round of the playoffs.

During Gallia Academy's big winning streak against Jackson in the late 90s/early 2000s, just about every game was a thriller. Painful memories for sure, as Jackson let several games slip away.

The 2005 win over Ironton was one of Shane's Wolford's signature wins during his time as head coach. Ironton was still really good and Bob Lutz was still around. Just a great, physical 17-7 win over a very good Ironton team.

Several close games with Chillicothe in recent years, but my favorite win was the 42-15 thumping that Jackson gave to one of Chillicothe's better teams in recent years. Believe that one was in 2006, and it allowed Jackson to make the playoffs at 6-4.

The 2004 game against Marietta was a 52-51 loss in double OT. That was the Jackson team that went on to beat Withrow. They had just blown a game against GAHS the prior week and got down to Marietta 21-0 in the 1stQ. They came storming back, but dropped several potential INTs, and just couldn't stop Jason Schob and Marietta. A missed PAT in the 2nd OT was the nail in the coffin.

Jackson vs. Warren in 1996 was a showdown of two great teams. Warren went 9-1 that year, narrowly missing the playoffs back when only four teams per region made the field. Jackson won a shootout 64-42. That Warren offense was the real deal. Warren also pulled a crazy upset over Jackson in 1998, winning 18-15 at Jackson. It was Jackson's only loss of the season and it cost them a trip to the playoffs...they finished 5th in the region.

Definitely several great games with Waverly and Wellston in the early 2000s. The one that sticks out the most was Jackson beating Wellston 44-33 in the year that "the streak" was supposed to end. David Swisher went for 200+ that night.

The 2003 loss to Patrick Henry was definitely a great game. Patrick Henry was just starting their great run of playoff success, and they game to Jackson for a regular season matchup. PH ended up winning 31-27, I believe, behind a great performance from WR Marc Krauss. He went on to play baseball at OU, I think. One of the best high school WRs I had seen, and I think he was a sophomore at the time.

Obviously 92 mentioned way more than five, but I have no idea how to narrow it down. Way too many great games, and I'm sure there were many more before my time. I would think the 2003 playoff win over Mt. Healthy would be another one, the 2015 playoff win over Watterson is probably a notable one as well. 2003 win over Athens and Grant Gregory, 39-36, on a last second FG was a great one too.

Return to “Football”