Soccer vs. Football

pan-man
Freshman Team

Soccer vs. Football

Post by pan-man »

I'm posting this topic on both the soccer and football pages.

But when it comes down to overall skill, heart,and dedication. Which sport do you think is tougher???

I think it's soccer because i have played both sports, and found out the hard way that soccer has as much contact as football but with less padding. And soccer takes WAY more skill to master.

Rebels on 3
All State

Re: Soccer vs. Football

Post by Rebels on 3 »

Thats crazy soccer is not even close to football maybe hockey, now thats a sport that takes skill.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

I think this question is answered by the fact that the few soccer players that make it in football are relegated to the position of kicker. That added to the fact that no football players have any interest in playing soccer. No good ones anyway. I think a better question would be, which sport raises more revenue in high school and college, football or soccer?

TheDarkKnight
Freshman Team

Post by TheDarkKnight »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly
:aaaaa75 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I am not a fan of soccer. If I wanna watch paint dry, I will paint my house.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

both are physical demanding. but in some what different ways. soccer your running none stop for 45 mins. in fb the physical pounding a player can take is brutal. both can leave a player with season/career and injuries. imo the physical fitness of both a very demanding just in different aspects.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

[quote="pan-man"]I'm posting this topic on both the soccer and football pages.

But when it comes down to overall skill, heart,and dedication. Which sport do you think is tougher???

I think it's soccer because i have played both sports, and found out the hard way that soccer has as much contact as football but with less padding. And soccer takes WAY more skill to master.[/quote]

You can't really compare the sports fairly. Yes, soccer does take some hits without padding, but the hits are not as brutal as the ones in football or happen as frequently.

Soccer requires you to be able to run constantly; football is a lot faster paced than soccer. Two completely different types of conditioning; it's like comparing Cross Country to the hundred meter dash.

As for skill... ball handling is soccer's primary skill. Football (I believe) requires much more skills because of the different types of skill such as a fullback. Fullbacks need to know proper blocking techniques, proper ball carrying techniques, and pass recieving techniques.

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

Post by Faclons Forever »

As Mike Ditka said, "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms." :lol: just kidding.
If one applies himself to either sport, they can both be incredibly physically challenging, but in different ways. I do think that at the h.s. level football is much tougher, just because of the greater number of athletes, which leads to tougher competition.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Reason football is better than soccer
Cheerleaders
Blowouts aren’t 3-0
With a few local exceptions no hooligans
John Madden never says GOOOOOOAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!
No one ever said a bad call in a football game was poppycock

The Nazis were afraid of football
Back when Nazi Germany was trying to topple the rest of Europe in World War II, the Nazis sent some operatives to the United States to learn about our culture. Apparently, the Germans decided to check out a football game so they ventured to Chicago and observed the Bears. Afterwards, they wrote back to their commanding officers that the United States was not a country to go to war with. It was said that the reason behind the hesitation was the football game, because if football is what we did for fun, they didn’t want to have to meet us on the battlefield.

And to anyone who says football isn’t as tough because football players wear pads, I would like you to remember that President Teddy Roosevelt proposed legislation that would have kill football because of the high death rate. It was for this reason that the pads and helmets became a mandated part of the game. Once death becomes such a prevalent part of soccer that the president steps in I will consider it as tough as football.

TheDarkKnight
Freshman Team

Post by TheDarkKnight »

Orange and Brown wrote:I am not a fan of soccer. If I wanna watch paint dry, I will paint my house.

LOL. :lol: :lol: :aaaaa110 :aaaaa86

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

There are soccer players that could not do what football players do and football players that could not do what they do. Thats why we have different sports for different kinds of kids. One is not necessarily better than another. Soccer is almost continuous running and a lot of bigger kids that play football could not do that. A lot of soccer kids could not fire out and move a 260 pound defensive lineman either. The only thing I see is when you have both sports in a small school and there is a conflict over kids which could be skill kids in both football and soccer, in larger schools it is not a problem, in smaller ones it is. Its the kids choice and if he has a talent for one or the other then let him do the sport and dont bug the kid about it. Just be glad your kid is involved in something that gives him a lot of pride and fun.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

This whole debate is why I will be glad to see year round school. Then we can offer sports like kickball and baseball in the summer where they belong. Then kids can play both football and kickball.

PIGSKIN JUNKIE
Freshman Team

Post by PIGSKIN JUNKIE »

They are two completely different sports. Therefore you cant compare them in many ways. Soccer is the biggest sport in the world, and I do think they are great athletes, but the toughness and abuse your body takes from football cannot be matched. Hockey players are tougher than soccer players, and I believe a legit soccer player will admit to that.

SickRick
Riding the Bench

Post by SickRick »

Orange and Brown wrote:I am not a fan of soccer. If I wanna watch paint dry, I will paint my house.

That might be a little more exciting :lol:

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

The toughness of the sports is not the issue. Nobody gets excited about a 1-0 game that lasts 3 hours.....one word......

BORING!

Rebels on 3
All State

Post by Rebels on 3 »

HowardCosell wrote:The toughness of the sports is not the issue. Nobody gets excited about a 1-0 game that lasts 3 hours.....one word......

BORING!

TRUE statement!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

TheDarkKnight
Freshman Team

Post by TheDarkKnight »

HowardCosell wrote:The toughness of the sports is not the issue. Nobody gets excited about a 1-0 game that lasts 3 hours.....one word......

BORING!

Might be an understatement. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :122246

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

REALLY , FOOTBALL, IS THE GREATEST SPORT IN THE WORLD, EVEN THOUGH SOCCER IS PLAYED BY MORE COUNTRIES, IT WILL SOON BE AN OLYMPIC EVENT.

AND FOOTBALL IS NOT A CONTACT SPORT

IT IS A COLLISION SPORT.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

World Class football players do not fall down, get carried off the field on a stretcher and then return to the game 4 minutes later without even a limp.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

This is the stupidest thread I have ever seen on this site.

With that said, sorry Bait but Football will never be an Olympic sport(shoot, Baseball isn't even one). This isn't a fair question. I have played soccer at a much high level than most people on here have played any sport(Olympic Development Program, Regional Pool) & the skill that these players have is amazing. But, the same can be said for D-1 Football players. They both require tons of skill & heart that neither, imo, have an advantage over either sport.

Return to “Football”