Tressel endorses Ohio Stadium and Columbus to OHSAA

henrysteele
JV Team

Tressel endorses Ohio Stadium and Columbus to OHSAA

Post by henrysteele »

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/n ... pionships/

Jim Tressel's endorsement is going to carry some weight in this OHSAA decision.

I think most kids (players, cheerleaders and band members) would rather perform in the Shoe than a nice high school stadium.

henrysteele
JV Team

Re: Tressel endorses Ohio Stadium and Columbus to OHSAA

Post by henrysteele »

gahs4ever:

OHSAA could care less about the feelings of those in Stark County...or any other county in Ohio. OHSAA is all about the money. If Columbus can offer a better financial package, then the historical relationship with Stark County is out the door.

Ohio State is pretty good at putting on events too. Columbus does major events like the Arnold Classic each year and that event is bigger than a visit by the University of Michigan to town. Columbus offers a centralized location with more major hotels and restaurants. Plus, all other OHSAA tourneys are held in Columbus.

I have attended football finals at the Shoe, and I never thought of the stadium as too big. Since that time, the playing field has been lowered and track removed which brought some seats closer to the action.

Again, money will be the deciding factor.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I hope they listen to him henrysteele...it would be awesome to see it back in Columbus. I remember how nice and comfortable it was watching them Fighting Tigers win it all there!

hardhitter ll
Varsity

Post by hardhitter ll »

They should be in Columbus. It makes logical sense to have them in Columbus. Which is exactly why the OHSAA will probably not let them move there.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

gahs4ever wrote:Our school has never had a sniff of the Finals, but if they did, I would crawl on my hands and knees over 100 miles of broken glass to get to the game. If travel miles is your only argument, take a couple of days off work, get a room, kick back and enjoy the weekend! People have been doing this for the boys state basketball tournament for decades and no one complains.

I think the travel argument is more for the average fan who does not have their school in the finals. I would travel to California if my school was in the finals. I am more likely to go to Columbus to watch someone else school than Canton/Massilon

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

gahs4ever wrote:There are at least two arguments against Columbus:

1) The average crowd that shows up at the Finals would actually be lost in a 100,000 seat stadium and it would be like playing in an empty facility

2) The biggest reason is the very long and satisfying relationship the OHSAA and football Finals have had with the Stark County people and facilities. They do what they do very well and they love doing it. It would be like a slap in the face to a community that cant help where it is located in the state geographically.

Our school has never had a sniff of the Finals, but if they did, I would crawl on my hands and knees over 100 miles of broken glass to get to the game. If travel miles is your only argument, take a couple of days off work, get a room, kick back and enjoy the weekend! People have been doing this for the boys state basketball tournament for decades and no one complains.

Hasn't the OHSAA dissed the other 87 counties in the state by not having the games anywhere besides Stark County? State title game will draw a lot better to. I'm not saying it's going to be anywhere near full, but the central location will make it much more possible for casual football fans to come. I like to go to the games, but I'm not going to get a hotel in Canton to do so, Columbus makes it very possible for many statewide to get there and back in a day.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Henry Steele is correct. it is about the dollars. Stark County wont be beaten, unless a major sponsor steps up to the plate. with the games being televised and less people actually attending the games, why would any sponsor put money into this? It would make more sense to advertise on television during the games.
In my opinion, the finals will eventually move to Canton/Akron. Games will be divided between Fawcett Stadium in Canton and 20 miles up the road at the new Akron University stadium. I will go anywhere they are held, with the exception of Cincinnati.

Bringing the games to Columbus will not increase attendance. Will it make it easier for everyone in the State of ohio to attend? Yes, but it wont make them attend. Columbus is not a football town, it is an OSU football town. The Northeast and the West/Northwest are the hotbeds for high school football attendance.

Without the crowd, Ohio Stadium doesnt bring the atmosphere to the title games, that Fawcett and Paul Brown brings. There is a lot of tradition in Ohio Stadium and kids would love to play on the same field as the Buckeyes do, but for the overall experience of the every game attender, Ohio Stadium and Crew Stadium doesnt do it for me.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

In Virginia, all state championship games are played at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

I too saw the games when they were played at Ohio Stadium and hated the atmosphere. I am not opposed to Columbus but just not at Ohio Stadium.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

I think the folks in Stark County have done a tremendous job in putting on the State Tournament. Would I go to Canton if Ironton is in the mix, I sure would. Would I go if Ironton is not, probably not. I would watch it in the comfort of my own home. I have seen the Tigers at both places and I enjoyed every minute of it. Never will I forget the 1979 game at Akron. That was a once in a lifetime game. Being in Akron, against a team from Akron, made it that much better.

BigDintigertown775
Freshman Team

Post by BigDintigertown775 »

I have played in a state semi-final game and 2 state championship games in the Shoe when i was a junior and senior at Ironton. Let me tell you this. For a kid that dreamed about playing football for the Buckeyes it was FREAKIN AWESOME!!! The games need to be in Ohio Stadium! Playing the game is only part of it. Being in those locker rooms was fantastic. I will never forget that experience. I still find myself dreaming about from time to time.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

They could also increase the attendance if they would not show the games live.

Watch the game live in my house, or travel 2 hours to watch in the cold when I have no emotional attachment to the teams, easy choice. I love my chair!!!

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

The exposure AND the TV revenue assure that it will continue to be broadcast. I used to attend when games were at Ohio St. and the atmosphere was awful, not to mention attendance. I also go to Canton and the atmosphere is 100% better. But now I care little about going . The decision will still come down to $$$$$$$$$ and in the past, games in Cincy & Columbus usually are too expensive to put on with the OHSAA getting little money, compared to the deal at Canton.

eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

if the ohsaa wants to have the games in columbus, which is a more central location statewide and would more than likely boost the attendance of the "average fan", why not split the games between the shoe and crew stadium? i understand the need to have two facilities, trying to get one game finished and the next one started in the same arena can be a nightmare. i think it was germantown valley view several years ago was in a 5 OT game that caused a big logjam of fans. anyhow, the allmighty dollar will prevail in the end.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

The Attendance figures at the Akron Rubber Bowl in1979 was about 11,000. This was a doubleheader between Mogadore and someone, Ironton and Akron St V's. I attended a game in the Shoe around 1985 between Moeller and Massillon and there were 32,000+ at that game. With TV now showing all the games, attendance will never be what it once was.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Paladin is right......whatever is more financially profitable for the OHSAA is what they will ultimately decide to do.......of course Columbus makes more geographical sense for the games, but with broadcasts by STO the attendance has already taken a hit and will continue to do so as long as people can keep the car in the driveway, stay home, out of the cold, and still watch championship football.

I also attended the game RiverRatRay referred to between Moeller and Massillon.......Massillon had fans in the upper deck.......but those days won't be seen again even if the games are moved back to Ohio Stadium.

I am like GAHS4ever, though.......if my school, Portsmouth High School, ever makes the Finals, I will do my best to go no matter if I have to drive 4 hours+.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i ain't even read any of the posts yet, but god bless you tress, he knows where his bread is buttered.

eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:i ain't even read any of the posts yet, but god bless you tress, he knows where his bread is buttered.

very good point TB. more often than not, some of the best talent in the state makes it to championship weekend. let them get a "free" look at tosu up close!

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

RiverRatRay wrote:The Attendance figures at the Akron Rubber Bowl in1979 was about 11,000. This was a doubleheader between Mogadore and someone, Ironton and Akron St V's. I attended a game in the Shoe around 1985 between Moeller and Massillon and there were 32,000+ at that game. With TV now showing all the games, attendance will never be what it once was.

Ray, FYI, Mogodore defeated Covington 23-17 in double O/T......

Trivia:

1.Ironton was the last Div AA champ in 1979 before the 5-Division playoff system started...

2. Ironton was the last Div III champ that played in the Shoe, defeating Campbell Memorial 12-7 in 1989.

3. All Division championships moved to Massillon in 1990.

Return to “Football”