Unlikely Opponents Your Team Has Played

oneoak
Varsity

Unlikely Opponents Your Team Has Played

Post by oneoak »

What schools have your team played over the years that seemed like an unlikely match up. For example, did you play a school that was much larger or smaller, did either school travel a long distance for the game, etc.? Are there other reasons it was an unlikely match up?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: Unlikely Opponents Your Team Has Played

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

In 1978, Nelsonville-York played @ Alliance and lost a close one, 7-6, to the Aviators.

The reason NY played Alliance is because the NY vs. Logan game was cancelled in 1978 due to the Logan Teacher Strike. It was too late to find any other opponent, as I believe Alliance was the only school with an opening in the third week of the season when Logan had to cancel because of the strike.

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

In 1987 Oak Hill was scheduled to play Ironton St. Joe, but St. Joe had to cancel due to injuries that left them short of the numbers needed to field a team. Oak Hill picked up Mississinawa Valley to replace them and traveled to Union City on the Ohio-Indiana border for the game. The Oaks won enroute to their first ever 10-0 season.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

look at irontonfootball.com. ironton has done it every season for the past 50 years.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

I remember River played Pymatuning Valley (a 4.5 hr. drive I believe) 4 years in a row, and River vs. Newton Falls 4 straight years, and Bellaire St. John playing Montpelier (on opposite edges of state), St. Clairsville and Wheelersburg (4-hr. drives) playing home-and-home, and Martins Ferry traveling to Wheelersburg. Too bad there aren't more interstate highways to make it a little easier.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

fellers with all due respect, please look at irontonfootball.com you won't believe the teams ironton has played through the years , it's a virtual who's who, of high school football giants. and ironton does it every year. i'm not talking about drives , i'm talking about opponents. i remember one stretch where we played columbus saint francis desales , 3 years in a row in columbus because they could not fill their schedule, especially with home games, cincinatti cape the epic battles with them, beating dupont , with randy moss , and jason williams, when they won the west va. big school division, 2 years. to the lopsided series with much bigger division 1 logan , through the years in the tigers favor. back to the 50's when they played elder, columbus east. booker t washington, to the upset of the 5th ranked team in the nation washington arch bishop carroll high school. from washington , dc. ironton's 63 game win streak, at one time the longest ever in the state. to the epic battles with portsmouth, all the way back to when them and ironton were pro teams, the defeat of the invincible youngstown mooney cardinals, in the playoffs. i challenge any public school in the state to match resumes.

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

I would say the most unlikely team Trimble has ever played were the 1991 Portsmouth Trojans. Portsmouth I believe was Division II that year and made the playoffs, Trimble was DV and went 3-7. Portsmouth blew us out 46-6. The size differential at the time made them unlikely opponents.

Going back into the 1970's when Trimble was an independent there were some very long road trips for games. In 1975 Trimble travel to Conotton Valley and then the next week to Yellow Springs. In two weeks the team traveled 470 miles round trip for two victories.

hoot
Varsity

Post by hoot »

Green had a few odd ones. In 1977 Green played Connoton Valley @ home and Green also played Greenup Co. Ky JV team and won 25-6 and it counted as a win. In 1992[ i think] Green played @ McDonald[ suburb of Youngstown] Talk about a roadtrip :-)

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

Hare are some more that I know of. Miller played at Jackson in the 70's or 80's with Jackson winning. Paintsville, Kentucky traveled to Oak Hill in the 90's with Oak Hill winning. Oak Hill also traveled to Wellsville (won) and River (lost) in the 90's. The River game was a very rare Saturday afternoon game.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Valley had a single home game with St. Thomas Aquinas in 2006

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

I can't remember who, but didn't a DVI team beat a DI team a few years ago?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth has played a remarkable list of stellar programs........Canton McKinley, Massillon, Upper Arlington, Cincinnati Elder, Steubenville, Cincinnati Purcell-Marian, Dayton Chaminade-Julienne, Kettering Alter, Middletown, Hamilton, Lima, Springfield South.......most of these schools were considerably larger than Portsmouth when the Trojans played them.

rivercat
Freshman Team

Post by rivercat »

Vinton County had a home and home with Dayton Colonel White in the mid 90's. If memory serves me correctly the Vikes won 41-40 at Dayton and 24-21 the following year in McArthur.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:fellers with all due respect

Cant let anyone else in SE ohio have a little fun talking about their own schools huh? LOL

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

eagles73 wrote:

Cant let anyone else in SE ohio have a little fun talking about their own schools huh? LOL

Guy's remember, It is ironton, I for one am really enjoying this topic. Many years ago Logan played Wheeling Park I think it was a one year home game. and yes it was a loss!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

eagles73 wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- eagles and moonshein, REALLY. GEESH. i enjoyed reading of the other school's and i knew only portsmouth at least locally was even close. i wasn't trying to steal anybodies thunder, or i'd have named em all. i was just saying the list is so expansive , that it's nice to have one of the finest football sites in the state, available for our area high school team. i love hearing who the other schools have played. merely using it as a reference since there have been so many. us tigers , the real tigers realize there are other programs around the state, that are very well accomplished.

but we do have the winninest high school football coach , in the state of ohio. and he's in the top 20 nationally, so you are gonna have to have stepped on alot of toes, flattery will get you , EVERYWHERE. LOL :-D

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

Green 2007- Matewan, WV Burch, WV back to back weeks almost 4 hour drive

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Miller in the 1964 season traveled to Logan to play our reserves and won a close game.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Fed Hock and Cleveland Bedford Chanel a couple of years ago.
Fed Hock and Monroe Central last fall.
Woodsfield and Wellston back in the early to mid 70's. Boy, that's a haul.....I remember, I was a kid in Woodsfield....
Woodsfield and Strasburg during those same years, driving to Wellston one week, and then nearly to Canton the next week. OUCH!

Fed Hock playing three PVC teams last year, and losing all three. Can't think of any TVC team playing more than one PVC team in a season (actually, very rare for any TVC team to play a PVC team in the regular season....Trimble played Beallsville in the mid-to late 70's and got beat, Wellston vs. Woodsfield in the early 70's, Miller played Monroe Central once in the mid-90's and got crushed), that's about it.........

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

Minnie Hicks 12
Ironton 0

Who or what was "Minnie Hicks"? Maybe a bunch of guys from out in the hills (many hicks)?

Return to “Football”