Division IV: Region 15

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Division IV: Region 15

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Thoughts? Predictions? How is your team going to be this season?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: Division IV: Region 15

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

FIDO wrote:From what I'm hearing/reading, it's already a forgone conclusion...Just skip the twoadays and break out the round ball!! :12224 :12224 :12224

Is Portsmouth really going to be that good ;-)

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Portsmouth, Ironton, and West should all be in the top 8. My guess is the winner of the week 10 showdown between PHS and Ironton will definitely get a home game. I could see them both being at home in week 11. West in my opinion will have to go 9-1 or better to be home.
Other than that you have to look at the other usual suspects.
Amanda Clearcreek – New coach, how will they respond this season?
Coshocton- always fields a strong team, normal qualifier
Bishop Hartley- strong team most years

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

FIDO wrote:
OHbuckeye1 wrote:
Is Portsmouth really going to be that good ;-)

They'll compete but that's not who I had in mind....:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Somehow, I think he already knew that. :lol:

footballfan
JV Team

Post by footballfan »

I thought West was D 5????

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Last years defending champion, Coshocton, lost their head coach and several key members of their team. However, the Redskins are the champs and will be tough to deal with. How about Ironton and Portsmouth play two times in 2010? Once in week 10 and once in week 13? How sweet would that be?
OHSAA would probably have this game in Massillon or somewhere. LOL

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Somehow, I think he already knew that. :lol:[/quote]

He's pretty sharp for a Sailor! :122245 :122245[/quote]

A Submariner at that :122245,

Ironton vs Portsmouth in Week 10 will be a big game in Region 15.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

85inside wrote:Last years defending champion, Coshocton, lost their head coach and several key members of their team. However, the Redskins are the champs and will be tough to deal with. How about Ironton and Portsmouth play two times in 2010? Once in week 10 and once in week 13? How sweet would that be?
OHSAA would probably have this game in Massillon or somewhere. LOL

I think if this game happens it will be played in Conneaut in the far Northeast corner of the state where Ohio meets Pennsylvania close to Erie. It would only be a 6 hr. drive for both teams and OHSAA knows you both travel well. Just imagine all the casual fans that would drive that far. :lol:

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Johnstown-monroe should be in the mix in this region this year... they return a lot of players from a 5-5 team last year. Jtown plays Heath week 2 the winner of that game will look to host a playoff game, the loser could still be in the top 8. Johnstown also plays Utica week 7 who has a lot of talent coming back from their 7-3 team last season and are also in region 15. Those 3 teams will all look to be competing in this region. They all come out of Licking County!

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

On paper, Ironton looks to be MUCH better than last year. It remains to be seen if that will be good enough to finally get regional title number 12, finals appearance number 9, or state championship number 3.

AHM
Freshman Team

Post by AHM »

I see 9 teams competing for this region
(In no particular order)
Ironton--All the talk is that they are loaded. Big games against Ashland Blazer, Wheelersburg, Jonathan Alder, Columbus Bishop Hartley, Portsmouth (Projected Record 8-2/9-1)
Portsmouth--Have a good group of skilled players back. Big Games against Ironton,
Portsmouth West, Wheelersburg, Jackson, Gallia (Projected Record 7-3/8-2)
Columbus Bishop Hartley--Return as many starters and quality players as anyone in the region. They seem to be loaded. But schedule is as tough as anyones in the region. Big games against Amanda Clearcreek, Cols Academy, Elyria Catholic, Columbus Grove, Ironton, Dayton Thurgood Marshall and Columbus Bishop Ready. (Projected record 7-3/9-1)
Amanda Clearcreek--Lost their head coach and must replace 18 starters. Lost the player of the year on offense and on defense. Play to play has affected numbers. Schedule is very light and favorable. Big games against Columbus Bishop Hartley and Canal Winchester (Projected Record 7-3/8-2)
Heath--Lost a great player in Greshem but return a very good senior class. Schedule is managable but they could lose at almost any point. Big Games against Granville, Utica, Newark Catholic, Licking Valley (Projected Record 7-3)
Utica--Good QB and rec back. Very light on the offensive line and on defense. Schedule is very weak, so a loss in weeks 2 and 3 to Granville and Heath will tell the tale of their season. Big Games against Granville, Heath, Fredericktown and Loudonville (Projected record 6-4/7-3)
Coshocton--This is the real wildcard. Lost an outstanding senior class and a great coach. Schedule is favorable. Big Games against Dover, Cambridge, New Philly, Manchester. (Projected Record 6-4/7-3)
Highland--Lost some key players. Schedule is favorable. Big Games against Marion Plesant, North Union, Fredericktown. (Projected Record 8-2)
Plesant--Lost a head coach and a good class. I really see them stepping backward, but they have a favorable schedule. Big Games against North Union, Highland and St Henry (Projected Record 7-3)

Number 10 could be Portsmouth West, but I just dont see it. Losses to Wheelersburg, Minford and Portsmouth and there just arent enough points to get in on their schedule. I think they have a great RB, but I dont think that is enough. They were not competitive with Minford and Wheelersburg last year, and those teams will be better this year.

I dont know much about the SVC, so another poster may be able to say more about any of the D4 R15 teams in there?

Johnstown will be 5-5 at best this season. Losses to Heath, Utica, Granville, Fredericktown and Loudonville. They could also slip up against Danville. They lost their horse (Clouts) off of an average team.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Somehow I think that when Portsmouth plays Burg, they are going to get alot of revenge from last year's beating they took.

4dfalcons
Freshman Team

Post by 4dfalcons »

West should be in the hunt. I think that they will beat Portsmouth.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

AHM wrote:I see 9 teams competing for this region
Number 10 could be Portsmouth West, but I just dont see it. Losses to Wheelersburg, Minford and Portsmouth and there just arent enough points to get in on their schedule. I think they have a great RB, but I dont think that is enough. They were not competitive with Minford and Wheelersburg last year, and those teams will be better this year.

Your cutting West short and your probably giving Minford and Wheelersburg too much credit as both lost alot from last years teams.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Bleeding Red wrote:Somehow I think that when Portsmouth plays Burg, they are going to get alot of revenge from last year's beating they took.

PHS will obviously try to get revenge on the Burg. That revenge will come in the form of a victory. PHS will not and has not run the score up on teams. Example 2000 PHS beats Burg 45-0, anyone at this game could tell you it could have been 70-0 or more if PHS wanted, but the Trojans pulled their dogs, didn't have their best players on the field returning kicks late in the 3rd quarter when the game was decided. PHS has put 60 plus points on teams on some occasions; however it was because opposing teams could not stop our freshmen, not because we keep other guys in late in games that were over.

BR, I'm not saying you were implying that PHS would try to run it up, I just know I have heard a lot of talk about PHS trying to exact some revenge and I wanted to clarify what that would be.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I am not saying that Portsmouth would run the score up, but they SHOULD be very good this year and I think that you guys will get revenge in the form of a "W"......against Burg. I am sure in the back of every PHS coaching mind is the lopsided victory from their matchup last year.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

siderman wrote:
AHM wrote:I see 9 teams competing for this region

Your cutting West short and your probably giving Minford and Wheelersburg too much credit as both lost alot from last years teams.

I think that Minford will actually be as good as last year. Not quite as good on the line, better at all skill positions. I agree that West will be much improved from last year with a more experienced QB and Pendleton, plus a very good line that took it on the chin last year.

I dont think Burg is going to be as good as last year, not saying they cant make the playoffs. I just think they lost alot, and their younger kids dont look like they are going to be reloading, but rebuilding instead.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

We'll see how they come together as a team when the pads come on, but West has an impressive bunch of athletes. We have a good shot at running the table this year.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

siderman wrote:We'll see how they come together as a team when the pads come on, but West has an impressive bunch of athletes. We have a good shot at running the table this year.

I agree!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I have predicted Portsmouth to go 10-0......it should be their best team in almost 10 years.......they have the talent and experience (16 starters back from a 7-3 team) to do it........and one of the best QB's in Region 15........if the Trojans win them all, based on their schedule, a sure lock for the #1 seed. Region 15 should have 3-4 very good teams this year, all capable of making the Final 4.

A rematch vs. Ironton or West or both in the playoffs is very possible.........but I'm still forecasting the Trojans to win Region 15 and challenge for the D4 title.

I really believe Portsmouth QB Josh Myers will have a monster senior season........the addition of Andrew Bendolph at wideout to go with WR Kyle Simpson, WR L.J Adams, and TE Colin Staker gives the Trojans one of the top passing offenses in Region 15. PHS may have the most well rounded offense in the region, with RB Angelo Jackson and very fast HB Jon Royster (10.8 100 meter), in addition to Myers' running ability.

AHM: Nice rundown of Region 15.......appreciate your knowledge of the teams.

Return to “Football”