West running the table like in '08...deja vu?

D_Journey9
Freshman Team

West running the table like in '08...deja vu?

Post by D_Journey9 »

i know its early...but what is everybody's thoughts on this one....i think if they get past portsmouth and of course burg...it is a possibility

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: West running the table like in '08...deja vu?

Post by Bleeding Red »

No.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

yes

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

West will be good but not 10-0 good. They don't have the same caliber players from top to bottom as the 2008 team did. I think 8-2 and playoffs for this group with a chance to win a playoff game. Good luck in every game but one should be a good one.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

BigTime wrote:West will be good but not 10-0 good. They don't have the same caliber players from top to bottom as the 2008 team did. I think 8-2 and playoffs for this group with a chance to win a playoff game. Good luck in every game but one should be a good one.
actually the 08 group was talented in the senior class, but really had little to no depth at all. Murphy started as a junior. Compton and Pendelton started as sophs. Bricker and Journey played some. Other than that, they were seniors. The sophomore and junior classes on the 08 team were really small.

This year is kinda different, we don't have alot of seniors, but the ones we have will play. The sophomore and junior classes are loaded, giving this team much more depth.

Top to bottom this team is more gifted athletically. They are faster as a team. The 08 offensive line performed well as a unit, but this group is more gifted. We just have to see if they jell. Good thing for next year is West will return 6 to 7 starters from TE to TE across the front, so their not one year wonders.

In the backfield Ratliff is really gonna be a good QB. He's big, athletic, smart, and a good leader. We have a stable of backs besides Pendelton. I think we'll be able to throw the ball much better this year.

All in all this team has a chance to be a great team if they come together. Remember last year with basically all juniors and sophomores we lost on an extra point to Portsmouth and had a big lead against Valley late. That team could have easily been 8-2 with losses to Minford and Wheelersburg, who on paper we are better than this year. IMO this team could easily run the table this year.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

siderman wrote:
BigTime wrote:West will be good but not 10-0 good. They don't have the same caliber players from top to bottom as the 2008 team did. I think 8-2 and playoffs for this group with a chance to win a playoff game. Good luck in every game but one should be a good one.
actually the 08 group was talented in the senior class, but really had little to no depth at all. Murphy started as a junior. Compton and Pendelton started as sophs. Bricker and Journey played some. Other than that, they were seniors. The sophomore and junior classes on the 08 team were really small.

This year is kinda different, we don't have alot of seniors, but the ones we have will play. The sophomore and junior classes are loaded, giving this team much more depth.

Top to bottom this team is more gifted athletically. They are faster as a team. The 08 offensive line performed well as a unit, but this group is more gifted. We just have to see if they jell. Good thing for next year is West will return 6 to 7 starters from TE to TE across the front, so their not one year wonders.

In the backfield Ratliff is really gonna be a good QB. He's big, athletic, smart, and a good leader. We have a stable of backs besides Pendelton. I think we'll be able to throw the ball much better this year.

All in all this team has a chance to be a great team if they come together. Remember last year with basically all juniors and sophomores we lost on an extra point to Portsmouth and had a big lead against Valley late. That team could have easily been 8-2 with losses to Minford and Wheelersburg, who on paper we are better than this year. IMO this team could easily run the table this year.

I think West will be very, very good next season and I also agree that the 08 team did not have a lot of depth underneath the huge senior class, but I have to disagree on a few things. I really don't think team is more athletic than the 08 team, that 08 team had Travis Perry, Alfie Bricker, Travis Journey, Ethan Morgan, etc who were all 3 sport athletes and good at all 3 at those sports, they have some good athletes in Pendleton (obviously), Tanner Journey, and Locher, but top to bottom I like the 08 teams athletes better...I also feel that 08 team was faster, especially up front...most of the line on that team legitmately ran under a 5.0 40 yard dash. However, this team is much stronger from top to bottom and has a much bigger line...this team is scary strong. Also having the returning starters will help tremendously, just about everyone who is starting this year played significantly last year.

What it all boils down to is having a mean streak...If the team this year develops a mean streak and gets the attitude where they know they will win every time they step on the field, so if they can develop that and jell as a unit they could very possibly go 10-0...do I think they will dominate teams like the 08 team did? No, but a win is a win and 10-0 is great no matter how you cut it, I just hope if this team does go 10-0 they don't become content with it and lose focus in the playoffs

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

West will be good but not 10-0 good. They don't have the same caliber players from top to bottom as the 2008 team did. I think 8-2 and playoffs for this group with a chance to win a playoff game. Good luck in every game but one should be a good one.
I dont think they get in the playoffs at 8-2.

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

Post by trojanofthepast »

West will be a good team this year, but will not run the table. I think if the 08 team played this year team the 08 team would win by 2 scores.

D_Journey9
Freshman Team

Post by D_Journey9 »

trojanofthepast wrote:West will be a good team this year, but will not run the table. I think if the 08 team played this year team the 08 team would win by 2 scores.
the only things different from the 08' team to this years team...is the O Line...the line was better in 08 but with a RB like Trevon Pendleton you don't need much blocking...and the other thing is the secondary was better in 08...but there are hardly any dominant passing teams around here or on West's schedule so...they have a pretty good chance of running the table...like i said earlier...if they make it past portsmouth...and burg they will run the table.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

West will have a good team this season, but I doubt they will be able to run the table. If they beat Portsmouth in week 2 I think they go 10-0.
I don’t think they will be able to stop Portsmouth’s offense, either on the ground or in the air. It will be interesting to see if the Trojans have an answer for Pendleton, as he single handily brought the Senators back last year. This game could be a total shoot out.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Shut down Pendleton and West loses.
But 1st you gotta shut him down. Not an easy task.

8-2 season. Possibly 7-3.
Lose 2 games and NO playoffs. Of the 8 teams they could beat I don't see a whole lot of secondary points. with exception of a team or two. Playing 1 team in a higher Division doesn't help. For instance. Wheelersburg plays 7 teams in a higher division. Not saying that makes them better, but the quality of the win is better. Makes it easier to get in at 7-3 or 6-4

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I think what the West fans should think about is how far the program has come in the last four years. Coach-T and his staff have worked hard to change the expectations of the players. Don't worry about running the table get behind the players and coaches and enjoy what is going on at WEST.

I think the kids call it " WEST SIDE PRIDE"

Return to “Football”