Best QB in the Area?

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

Re: Best QB in the Area?

Post by crazee-oakaholic »

You cant go by who played who and who beat who so this team is better than that because this night we beat them then they beat you then you beat this team that whipped that team you barely beat bull crap. This thread is called best QB. Everyone is going to have a different opinion. Of course I am gonna say my brother is the best 1) because he is my brother and 2) because of what he has accomplished for himself and for OHHS sports. You can say his numbers dont mean anything because of the teams Oak Hill plays and if they played in a different league he wouldnt have those numbers. He didnt go out to Oaklahoma and get the top 100 MVP award for his stats at Oak Hill. He proved himself out there against the top athletes in the nation. He has great numbers yes. He earned them. He works hard everyday, during season and in the off season! I am proud of him, his numbers, his accomplishments, and how him, and all the other boys from this age group have turned sports around at Oak Hill in the last few years!!

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

Again, In at least 7 of the games last year, Oak Hill elected to run the ball to keep the score down in the second half. If Slone would have been able to pass like Myers, who knows what his numbers may have been. Think of it this way, if he had 250 passing yards at halftime, he could've had 500 yards by the end of the game. But, most players in his situation aren't worried about getting "numbers". He's most likely more worried about winning, which is what he did at a higher efficiency than other quarterback forementioned. And this year, it'll probably the same result. And it is not all about that schedule either. I would venture out and say that Oak Hill could've and can this year hang with almost any team in this area if not beat them. The main reason: Jesse Slone's ability to think in the clutch. Not always throwing the ball, but making the best available play to ensure his team wins. That's the true mark of a good quarterback. And so what? Myers throws for 1500 and runs for a 1000. That just means Portsmouth has no running game outside of Myers. And if they do, their coach isn't utilizing all of these "athletes" that Portsmouth supposedly has year in and year out.

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

Post by trojanofthepast »

One thing is obvious these are the best 2 in our area. Slone is a rare talent and I will root for him this year and where ever he goes to college. Same for Josh Myers, I've seen a lot of talented kids and he's one of the tops I've seen. I wish both kids health and a great season both are class kids and leaders on their teams. People mention camps so on and so forth Myers went to camps also just not for football. This is a young man that could eventually be drafted to play baseball. I just believe Myers is more of a threat then any player in this area without a doubt.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Downtown wrote:Again, In at least 7 of the games last year, Oak Hill elected to run the ball to keep the score down in the second half. If Slone would have been able to pass like Myers, who knows what his numbers may have been. Think of it this way, if he had 250 passing yards at halftime, he could've had 500 yards by the end of the game. But, most players in his situation aren't worried about getting "numbers". He's most likely more worried about winning, which is what he did at a higher efficiency than other quarterback forementioned. And this year, it'll probably the same result. And it is not all about that schedule either. I would venture out and say that Oak Hill could've and can this year hang with almost any team in this area if not beat them. The main reason: Jesse Slone's ability to think in the clutch. Not always throwing the ball, but making the best available play to ensure his team wins. That's the true mark of a good quarterback. And so what? Myers throws for 1500 and runs for a 1000. That just means Portsmouth has no running game outside of Myers. And if they do, their coach isn't utilizing all of these "athletes" that Portsmouth supposedly has year in and year out.

Just for your information, Angelo Jackson put up 600 yards rushing on 117 carries, and Jon Royster added 326 on 42. Yeah that’s right an additional 926 yards on the ground, just to show you that the Trojans do have a very good running game outside of Myers, and Clifford did utilize it as well. Myers is without a doubt the best player on the team, and we put the ball in his hands as much as possible, whether it be a run or a pass. Why wouldn’t we?
Also Portsmouth had games where Myers didn’t play the whole game also. Western Brown, Marietta, and Chillicothe all saw action from our second team, as did Wheelersburg for other reasons. How late was the Oak Hill first team in against ND? How about that 2 point conversion?
There were times that we ran the ball also to keep from running the score up as well. For example we had 577 of our 610 yards in that game on the ground against Marietta. This wasn’t because we couldn’t pass it was because we didn’t want to set back and throw when we had no need to.
Are these stats for Slone from 12, or 10 games? What were his 10 game #s?

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Chad Fisher is a kid that I don't hear anyone talking about. IMO will be the best player in the OVC this year.

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

Ok how about Westen Hale 204 carries...1590 yards...7.8 yds per carry!! So Oak Hill doesnt just pass..

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

crazee-oakaholic wrote:Ok how about Westen Hale 204 carries...1590 yards...7.8 yds per carry!! So Oak Hill doesnt just pass..
I know Weston Hale was very successful running the ball for the Oaks. I posted the numbers of Jackson, and Royster, because Downtown said Portsmouth had no rushing game outside of Myers.
Weston numbers are impressive, but again do you believe he puts up those #s against the Trojans schedule? Ironton Warren, and West all have better defense than any the Oaks have saw last season.

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

yes sir

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

crazee-oakaholic wrote:yes sir
So then you think Ironton, West and Warren are equals to the slew of d6 schools with losing records on the oaks schedule?

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

I dont believe that is the question you asked me and I said yes sir to....
no where do i see in that last message do you think ironton, west and warren are equals to the slew of d6 schools with losing records on the oaks schedule...does anyone else see where he asked that??? nope sure dont..this is what you asked me (do you believe he puts up those #s against the Trojans schedule?) and i said yes sir...and my answer stands YES SIR I DO THINK HE WOULD PUT UP THOSE #s AGAINST THE TROJANS SCHEDULE!

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Well those are the teams on the Trojan schedule, so where would he get those yards at if it isn’t against these teams?

It’s not a knock on the Oak Hill guys, to say that it is easier to put up numbers against their schedule. It’s not their fault, that schedule was set years ago. However it isn’t fair to compare their stats against others who have played against much stiffer competition.

UpOnTheHill
Freshman Team

Post by UpOnTheHill »

Against Oak Hill's 3 toughest teams last year (Minford,Coal Grove, and Ridgewood), Hale averaged 128yds and almost 7ypc, and those 3 defenses were not cupcakes.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Guess I poked a few holes in your like opponent theory?
not at all. all of your examples were of how many POINTS two different teams beat a common opponent. that could be caused by a number of different reasons... eg... how soon one team put in their 2nds as compared to another, etc. my examples were of 4 different teams trying their best the whole game to beat the other and DID IN FACT BEAT them.... not just score more points than some other team...(except when wheelersburg put in their seconds to try to avoid the score against your mighty trojans being 88-6 rather than 68-14 ) :mrgreen: :lol:

oh, and btw... there weren't any "like opponents" in my theory. they were ALL different opponents, from the lowly oaks in SOC I, right on through the mediocre SOC II, and on into the trojans of the mighty seoal.

oak hill-minford
minford-wheelersburg
wheelersburg-portsmouth

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

to add to the above, some of you are saying that who beat who and who beat who and who beat who doesn't really matter. well, isn't that the same thing you trojan fans are doing when you are comparing oak hill's schedule to portsmouth's schedule and who beats who and who beats who in those schedules? ..... and those are just assumptions. the comparisons i made were facts in the record books. double standards??

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Oak Hill doesnt play Portsmouth and it "is what it is".

Unless they lock up during the season, it is all hypothetical and everybody is going to have a different opinion on your theories.

I tend to think that head to heads are great to compare 2 teams that play the same opponent but do not play each other, but you really cant look at score. Others will say you cant even use like opponents to compare. Its all a wash unless they play each other.

And I will say that Slone from Oak Hill would have way better stats than Meyers from Portsmouth since Slone was taken out of about every game at the half. BUT......there is no way to say that he could have done the same thing playing Portsmouth's schedule. Can compare the two. Also, I believe had the better O line to have in front of a QB. Who is to say that Meyers wouldnt have done better behind Oak Hill's O Line playing Oak Hill's schedule?

Its not double standards. Its called people using the stats, to back up what their opinion is. Even if they are picking and chosing what stats make their player look better.

Return to “Football”