Ironton vs Wheelersburg Thursday night?

85inside
S

Ironton vs Wheelersburg Thursday night?

Post by 85inside »

I know we have had many discussions about Ironton and Saturday night games. i know many coaches dont like Saturday night games because it gets your team out of sync, playing mostly friday night games.

I was wondering what the thought would be on the annual Ironton vs Wheelersburg game being played on Thursday night to start the season?
Positives:
Gives both teams an extra day to recover from what is always a very tough and physical game.
Possibly gets a larger gate, with the possiility of other schools fans coming to watch this game.

negatives:
School day the next day
work day the next day for fans

I wonder how many fans of other area schools may come and watch this game, if it were to be played on thursday night instead of friday?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Ironton vs Wheelersburg Thursday night?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

friday night is high school football night. this isn't espn.

TigersGameDayFan
JV Team

Post by TigersGameDayFan »

I like the idea. CHA-CHING....tons of money, tons of people, the very first high school game of the year. The athmosphere would be insane!
and Friday isnt the only football night. If it is then why do we have some playoff games on Saturday?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

You would have sell out crowds. I went to the Ironton/Burg game last year because Minford traveled up to River Valley and frankly, I didnt want to drive that far to watch a blowout.

Put the Ironton/Burg game on Thursday night and you would generate alot of extra money for both schools.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

I feel like the schools dropped the ball when they didnt agree to play on Saturday before other schools chose to.

I think a Thursday game could work and make a ton of money. Even if it fails, it can be switched back to Friday the next year.

To me, the positives far outweigh the negatives to NOT try it.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

If you can get permission from OHSAA

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

only problem with thursday games, you take away from the junior high kids,,,thats when they play.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

It's in Ironton next year isn't it? Maybe it will rain Friday morning and then you can move it to Saturday. :122245 :122245 :122245

All kidding aside. When that happened a few years ago and the game was moved to Saturday, did it really bring in that many more fans? From what I heard there wasn't any more there than usual. If someone really wants to see a certain so called "big" game they will go to that game instead of the school they alwyas watch.

Heck, in reading most of the Ironton posters on the game thread, this won't even be a good game this year. Would be a waste of time to move it. :122246

TigersGameDayFan
JV Team

It wouldn't take away from any junior high teams. Speaking the fact that no JH teams play before week One of High School ball.
I know it would make a difference in numbers at the games. I remember when i was in school if there was a game on saturday night, we had probably 25 people together and would go watch. High School Football is awesome to watch whenever you get the chance. Being a player in high school and playing every friday night you never get the chance to watch. Let's say the game is on a Thursday/Saturday night. People from all around our area who are usually supporting their own team would be most likely be at our game because no one else is playing that night.

Just throwing that out there. I say we give it a try, and if it doesnt work then move it back.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Orange and Brown wrote:If you can get permission from OHSAA

Plenty of games state wide tonight. I believe the OHSAA allows regular season games this week.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

TigersGameDayFan wrote:It wouldn't take away from any junior high teams. Speaking the fact that no JH teams play before week One of High School ball.
I know West and Portsmouth start their Junior High Seasons tonight.

The first home game for Portsmouth last year with West was on Saturday of Labor day with lots going on (River days, River days pageant, big Lucas Oil Late Model race at Colemans) and it was still a big success. I would like to see 1 big game a week on Saturdays. Notre Dame doesn't cut the mustard IMO.

TigersGameDayFan
JV Team

HAHAHAH i guess your right....It would be nice though to have a huge game on saturday.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

and I might add, we had a pretty good crowd at our junior high game tonight :mrgreen: .

I do know,that East and Northwest has played saturday games for the last 3 or 4 years, and they did have decent crowds

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I know 10 fans that was at that Sat night game 2 years ago, that wouldnt have been there if it was played on fri night.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

yeah,but if our junior high played West on that thursday I still wouldnt have been out there 8)

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I really don't think you can get too many more people into Ed Miller Stadium than were there tonight. I have seen some huge crowds over the years and tonight's crowd was right up there. Both sides were packed, people all over the hill and standing 2-3 deep around the fence...

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

if Ironton could get a few fans out to their home games maybe they wouldn't be in such financial straights and 85 wouldn't always be grabbing at straws trying to make a buck off the backs of teams that have a tremendous fan following.
i see in another thread that it burned his butt to have to fight the tremendous crowd to get out of the parking lot tonight at ANOTHER SCHOOL. he could just see all those $$$$$$ that will go into somebody elses coffers and not his.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Alot of Portsmouth fans at the Itown/Burg game. Maybe we should all rotate games to Sat so other fans will show up for the weeks marque matchups!

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

demaniac1 wrote:Alot of Portsmouth fans at the Itown/Burg game. Maybe we should all rotate games to Sat so other fans will show up for the weeks marque matchups!
hey, demaniac, don't let this guy smooze you in to doing something HE wants but that you don't need. from what i've read on here your team made more tonight than some teams will make all year. you always have a great fan following that brings in ample bucks to more than support your athletic programs, why change it to accomodate some "slicker" trying to bail himself out from some bad decision making ?

Jim Mora
Freshman Team

Post by Jim Mora »

biggdowgg wrote:and I might add, we had a pretty good crowd at our junior high game tonight :mrgreen: .

I do know,that East and Northwest has played saturday games for the last 3 or 4 years, and they did have decent crowds

They've played on THURSDAYS for the past 3-4 years.

Return to “Football”