River Valley Coach Resigns -- for real?

ladycatherine
Waterboy

River Valley Coach Resigns -- for real?

Post by ladycatherine »

I read in the tribune that Mcclelland resigned. is this voluntary? who is the next rv coach if he is done?

91blue14
SE

Re: River Valley Coach Resigns -- for real?

Post by 91blue14 »

a surprise to me

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

It will be posted the early name i am getting is Winters?

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

Perhaps it is time to give Hammond a chance at Friday nights.

I do not know the circumstances of Jared's resignation but I applaud him for going out with class. It shows character.

BuckeyeNut10
Waterboy

Post by BuckeyeNut10 »

The last thing they need to do is hire anyone that is on the current staff. They need a fresh start....if this doesn't happen then I totally give up on that school system.

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

Paul Mall wrote:The last thing they need to do is hire anyone that is on the current staff. They need a fresh start....if this doesn't happen then I totally give up on that school system.
I hope they go outside the system as well, but in an area that is this small and where football coaches don't usually hide under bushes,it's hard to get people to volunteer their time.This school Board is not going to pay anyone to coach as an assistant. They are the ones who made the volunteers get their own rides to games last year.

WE will see i expect much of the same as we have had in the past.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

The big question that would have to be answered, "Is there a teaching position available to bring a coach in?" If not you are limited on bringing someone new in. It would have to be someone that has another job or teaches in a district close by that can drive in for practice. Then the next question would be if the person could work out their work schedule to be able to coach?

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

mtswngrvsg wrote:The big question that would have to be answered, "Is there a teaching position available to bring a coach in?" If not you are limited on bringing someone new in. It would have to be someone that has another job or teaches in a district close by that can drive in for practice. Then the next question would be if the person could work out their work schedule to be able to coach?
:roll: Good Point

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Then after all the above is answered the next step is putting a staff together, a lot harder than what you might think. Not sure how attractive the RV position is to someone outside of Gallia County?

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

mtswngrvsg wrote:Then after all the above is answered the next step is putting a staff together, a lot harder than what you might think. Not sure how attractive the RV position is to someone outside of Gallia County?
your preaching to the Choir oh rebellious one! Read my post before yours

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

Those of us who have watched this for a while might say that what is needed is a culture change more so than a coaching change. You would have to think long and hard about taking the position without some real commitment from the administration. It would make you crazy. They need to grasp the severity and nature of the problems and implement solutions rather than to keep going back to the well. They may just run out of qualified applicants.

These young people are smart enough to know what is going on.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

When RV hired Jared, I am pretty sure that some on the administrative side were NOT INTERESTED in a sea-change (to use the parlance of our times).

In my interview, I was asked what my plans for staffing assistants were. I responded that, "I have several people in mind who I would like to bring with me."

The reply from one administrator was, "Well, we have a lot of good football knowledge on our staff right now that we should take advantage of."

The question is whether or not that attitude has changed.

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

KarlAgathon wrote:When RV hired Jared, I am pretty sure that some on the administrative side were NOT INTERESTED in a sea-change (to use the parlance of our times).

In my interview, I was asked what my plans for staffing assistants were. I responded that, "I have several people in mind who I would like to bring with me."

The reply from one administrator was, "Well, we have a lot of good football knowledge on our staff right now that we should take advantage of."

The question is whether or not that attitude has changed.
I think that part has changed, I also know that hiring had a short leish,because of the ties to the old staff. Don't get me wrong there were a lot of good guys who put in a lot of time on that staff.
It has gone 8 years and the situation has really eroded along with the athletes being down a bit,the program is a laughing stock.
The board is forced to try and set this right.

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

The Board is most likely limited due to the "established practice" of incorporating members of the certified bargaining unit as coaching staff. Although not a language item, it would take a strong constitution on the part of the Board to go outside without creating or replacing a teaching position. Only a few would have the stomach for it.

Regardless of who gets the position, I am certain that anyone who has held it in the past will tell you that simply getting the job will not be enough. There will have to be some dramatic changes made to re-legitimize the progam.

As it stands, it would be better to be tied to an anthill than have the position, past, present or future. It is impossible to believe that a lack of athletes can be blamed for the past history consistently. I do not think that we can lay the complete blame on the players or the coaches for that matter.

The district spends too much time trying to be PC and fair and not enough oiling the squeeky wheel.

The administration has to want to win and do what it takes to make it happen. Just like in any organization, the blame has to go to the person with the the ultimate authority. That is why they get the pay. If they are aware of the situation and do nothing substantial then they are at fault.
Last edited by sandman on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

As it stands, it would be better to be tied to an anthill than have the position, past, present or future. It is impossible to believe that a lack of athletes can be blamed for the past history consistantly. I do not think that we can lay the complete blame on the players or the coaches for that matter.
I have heard that said by more than one former RV coach...

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

I believe RV is making a mistake by leaving the OVC. They're quite competitive in other sports within the OVC & I hafta wonder what conference they could join & be competitive in football within it for the next few years.

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

Misteroby wrote:I believe RV is making a mistake by leaving the OVC. They're quite competitive in other sports within the OVC & I hafta wonder what conference they could join & be competitive in football within it for the next few years.
The main reason is travel time to all away games, Almost every TVC team is closer than the OVC Schools.

RV to Rock Hill 50 miles down rt 93 (seems like 100)
RV to Coal Grove 55 Miles
RV to South Point 60 miles
RV to Chesapeake 50 miles
RV to Fairland 46 miles

RV to Meigs 23.4 miles
RV to Alexander 33.1 miles
Rv to Athens 42 miles
RV to Wellston 27.8 miles
RV to Vinton co. 32 miles

some are similar distances with much better roads to travel,
As far as football and being competitive,there is no league with the current condition of the program. We have to figure how to get kids out in football period!

Going to the TVC is a great Move for RV

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

KarlAgathon wrote:
As it stands, it would be better to be tied to an anthill than have the position, past, present or future. It is impossible to believe that a lack of athletes can be blamed for the past history consistantly. I do not think that we can lay the complete blame on the players or the coaches for that matter.
I have heard that said by more than one former RV coach...
Yea there are a lot of quotes out there! Just like in the Porta John on a construction site ,do you take those serious?

tomcatdad
JV Team

Post by tomcatdad »

sandman wrote:Perhaps it is time to give Hammond a chance at Friday nights.

I do not know the circumstances of Jared's resignation but I applaud him for going out with class. It shows character.

its not surpising jared would show a lot of class and character. I have known him for years and he is a class act guy and has a ton of character. I wish him luck with whatever path he chooses to follow.

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Is this an accurate list of former RV coaches?

Jack James
Merril Tripplett
Larry Carter
Greg Deel
Jared McClelland

Return to “Football”