Coach Triplett officially resigns at west

west siders
All State

Coach Triplett officially resigns at west

Post by west siders »

Coach T has announced that he is not returning as head coach of the Portsmouth West football team due to personal reasons. He said he will still be around and help the football program at West but not as head coach.

blue53
All State

Re: Coach Triplett officially resigns at west

Post by blue53 »

WOW, that's some big news. Good coach.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Sad to hear, but if hes still around this situation could still work out well...If (and this is a big if) Shaffer gets the head coaching job, I believe West would have the best of both world's in having a coach who understands the game as well as anyone around and teaches good fundamentals and the best weight room coach in the county (imo) who is also a very smart man who can call an offense or a defense (If Miller doesn't return or someone else isn't brought in) as well as coach any position if he chooses to be an assistant, which I doubt he will honestly.

A lot of people might believe Shaffer would be too old to coach and wouldn't be around very long (hes in his early 60's I believe), but if he would take over I feel it would be an easy transistion for the next few years and maybe with the experience on the staff they can groom a "coach to be" because there are a decent amount of young coaches in the system.

Some other candidates (off the top of my head) would be: Scott Bricker-former J.H. coach, O.C. under Tipton in 05-06 (Triplett's staff from 07-09) he basically was the coach in waiting before Triplett was hired, but he was not a teacher and the former board wanted a teacher...I believe the current board would hire him in a heartbeat if he were interested. Eli Parkes- Current asst. I don't think he's interested honestly, but he is a good young coach with a very good resume, I think he could possibly get the job, if he were interested. Terry Miller-Current D.C. He lives in Ironton and teaches in that system, I doubt he would be interested either, hes basically Triplett's right hand man, if he were hired very little would change in the system...but I think theres a very little chance he'll apply. I remember hearing that Mark Vass applied in 07 (I think), but I doubt the board will go with another Ironton guy...bottom line is, before I don't think the board would of accepted a person that was not a teacher, but now I feel they'll go with a West guy thats not a teacher in Bricker...who knows we could have Dickie T round 3? lol
Last edited by sider on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ON THE ROCKS
Riding the Bench

Post by ON THE ROCKS »

Coach T....A GREAT coach best wishes..sure ill see ya at bball court somewhere..

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Well if this is true, I wish nothing but the best for coach. He did a very good job here, especially implementing a weight and conditioning program that is second to none. If we keep it, it will breed success in this program for years after he's gone; as it was the missing piece before he got here.

Count me in as a vote for Shaffer. He's very knowledgable and just what little I've been around him, you can tell his attention to detail. Most important is the kids and people around the program like him. He's a very personable guy. Who cares if he's in his 60's. He has a ton of energy and an easy 10 years left in him, which most coaches don't stay in one place that long anyway. Being that old sure doesn't hurt Bob Lutz.

Whoevery gets it, I hope they keep Garrett Pendelton in some role. I know Trevon's done, but the guy eats and sleeps football. He would make a great offensive coordinator. JMO

If anything, it should be an easy transition this year because we return one heck of a team.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Always loved Triplett!!!!!

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Someone told me this might happen but did not believe it. For some reason I always figured he would keep coaching for a long time. I hope he enjoys life without football. Good luck coach in whatever you do!

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

My best to Merle. I grew up around his family here in Ironton and can remember watching him play for the Tigers when I was a youngster. He has a nephew that is poised to be a good one this year at Ironton. Good luck Senators. I hope you continue your winning ways.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

good luck my friend in whatever you do. i hope you have more time to enjoy things now. and you are always welcome here.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I don't think he reads this stuff.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

I would love to see garett stay on the staff, it would be nice to seem have an increased role now that trevon is gone...he's very football smart, but I don't see him staying on the staff with trevon in school

I would like to see shaffer get it, he brought some success to the program at portsmouth which was very weak at the time...he loves the game and pays attention to all of the small things

If not shaffer I honestly wouldn't mind seeing scott bricker have a shot. He might not have experience as a head coach at the high school level, but he was very successful in the lower level and has playing calling experience. With the staff they have now of mostly all west siders I feel they would gel because they all know each other and have all coached with each other.
The key would be keeping the same weight program that has brought them success

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Best of luck to coach from an old Trojan..High School coaching is very difficult,,,very long hours and very short pay....coaches in small town high schools, and all of our area is small town, just do not get the pay they deserve or need..West will be fine, the program has got a really strong foundation and that will get it thru...just two things I would ask,,do not beat my Trojans but do beat the Burg...lol
wipalawalt

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Good luck coach T in whatever you do.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

I assumed there would be more traffic on this forum, but considering this has been rumored for some time now I guess it comes to no suprise...has anyone heard of any applicants. I heard rumors shaffer applied, I also heard the jv coach swords applied...anyone else hear anything? I would imagine that there will be quite a few applicants, west has nice facilites, a winning tradition, good community support, and a talented group in jr-sr class...maybe well hear more when the job is posted in the times

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I saw Coach T last week. He did a lot there at West to help turn around a lot of things. Hopefully the School Board and others in administration do not keep the football program from advancing.

GoalLine
Waterboy

Post by GoalLine »

I talked to three different school board members this past week, they are all very high on Coach Swords.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Did any of the board memebers ever play football or coach the game?

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

GoalLine wrote:I talked to three different school board members this past week, they are all very high on Coach Swords.
Hes a very good Christian man, he has been the president of pee-wee organization for a long time (he knows how to deal with parents), he has been the head coach of the Jv and freshmen for the past three or 4 years and has had a lot of success, he is one of the few coaches in the weight room besides Triplett, I think he is a pretty football smart guy and is great with the kids, but I think he would definitely need some help in a lot of aspects because he has never been in that position before.

If Swords gets the job they will get a guy that eat, sleeps, and breathes West football and would probably more care and put more into the program than just about anyone.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

OSU 77 wrote:Did any of the board memebers ever play football or coach the game?
I think that three of them did (Phillips, Hazelbaker, Journey) not sure if the other two (Berry, or Evans) did. I know Bazler did and he might have a say in it?
Last edited by sider on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

I would like to see a new face come in. I believe that we need a High School coach that is an implant. IE Look what Triplett did for the program. He is going to make his own decisions without having to worry about making certain families mad. And as far as dealing with parents when you are at the high school level I feel you either love it or leave it. Does not and should not matter what Mom or Dad thinks about where or how much playing time their son gets. You play the game for a Gold football, you play the game for a state run. The kids play the games for the memories for the rest of their lives. The kids are there. The love for the game is coming back on the westside. I don't feel that any of the mentioned should be the head coach, i do feel however that they all have their place. Run it like a college program and let the other 70 coaches standing on the sideline get involved. There are coaches that have made it to the top that have never played the game I agree. The vast majority have though. I feel that someone that has played the game can feel the passion and better connect with his players. But this is just opinion. I may be wrong, would not be the first time. If a Teacher that has been a head coach before puts in, I would say with past practice they will get it. I just say good luck to all, and whoever gets it I hope they keep the fire burning.

Return to “Football”