Logan and Chillicothe

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Logan and Chillicothe

Post by Flatulence »

A rumor: the rumor mill has reared its head, again. It is rumored that the Mid-State League has proposed a new division, that Chillicothe and logan were invited to a meeting, and that the new division would consist of Whitehall, Teays Valley, Circleville, Logan Elm, Canal Winchester, Logan, and Chillicothe. Anyone else heard of this?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Logan and Chillicothe

Post by noreply66 »

nothing here---but that sounds nice

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

The league currently has 3 division of 8 teams each. I would think Hamilton Twp would probably be in with those 7.

The MSL is going to have to do some shuffling/adding sooner or later as 6 of the 18 teams in the league are leaving to re-form the old Licking County League.

Unless the OCC comes knocking beforehand, I can see Chillicothe and/or Logan jumping on that opportunity. I know this is a matter of contention with some folks, but I think the competition would be slightly better than the SEOAL and the travel would be better.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Logan would be playing schools that average a little bigger than now.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

I'd be surprised. Whitehall, TV and Circleville would be cellar dwellars in that league. Elm and Canal would be mid-level teams. Logan & Chilly would be the annual competition for the crown. Hamilton wouldn't add much either. Overall, that would be a very weak league.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

The MSL will have 18 schools left once the six Licking schools depart. I doubt this rumor happens. And even if it did, Canal is experiencing very good growth right now, and would hardly be a "mid-level" school. Canal has made the playoffs the last four years and won two league titles.

I'm also trying to stop laughing at the remark that Logan and Chilli would be the annual competition for the title. That was a good one. The reality of the situation is Logan is down right now, Ironton is gone and the SEOAL is going through a bit of a down cycle right now, like all leagues do. Logan is a good program historically and would be a contender normally, and Chillicothe has a good coach but is still trying to rebuild that program.

Canal and once TV gets those two middle schools going for 4-6 years are going to be tough.

LE and Circleville are up and down historically but can also put out some good teams. I'd say Logan would get the best of those two usually and Chillicothe would play some competitive games with those two schools.
Last edited by bman on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Canal is also playing Marion-Franklin, St. Charles and Grove City in its non-league this season.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

GAHS83 wrote:The league currently has 3 division of 8 teams each. I would think Hamilton Twp would probably be in with those 7.

The MSL is going to have to do some shuffling/adding sooner or later as 6 of the 18 teams in the league are leaving to re-form the old Licking County League.

Unless the OCC comes knocking beforehand, I can see Chillicothe and/or Logan jumping on that opportunity. I know this is a matter of contention with some folks, but I think the competition would be slightly better than the SEOAL and the travel would be better.

Chilly already tried the OCC once and it was disastrous all the way around (and it wasn't even with the big boy divisions). However, Logan and Chilly would both fit in a revamped MSL with no problem. The competition without a doubt would be better in all sports and the commutes would be a lot shorter on two good roads (Rt. 23 and Rt. 33).

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I agree with Palidin,don't look any stronger than where they're already at maybe a little weaker at least in football,,,Canal is growing and has a good coach but I thought I heard awhile back they might have to raise their pay to play, that will probably kill them,Circleville is up and down mostly down,Chilli has really been down lately but maybe Hinton will get it rolling again showing a little hope last year,Whitehall used to be strong back in the 80's but weak now,, Teays Valley is getting bigger but has been mostly weak,,I still have a hard time believing Logan will leave, but only time will tell, but I will say the traveling would be much better than it is now...

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

A source in one of the schools involved confrim that formal invites will be sent out soon. This has been in the works for the last two years plus. Will be better overall for the Chiefs and should be able to spend less $$$$ on transportation. and attandance will improve at all events. This will conform to the school policy of limiting travel to less than 50 miles one way. Will be sad to leave the great SEOAL!

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
GAHS83 wrote:The league currently has 3 division of 8 teams each. I would think Hamilton Twp would probably be in with those 7.

Chilly already tried the OCC once and it was disastrous all the way around (and it wasn't even with the big boy divisions). However, Logan and Chilly would both fit in a revamped MSL with no problem. The competition without a doubt would be better in all sports and the commutes would be a lot shorter on two good roads (Rt. 23 and Rt. 33).
Not sure where it was "disastrous", Chilly won OCC championships in football, boys basketball, girls basketball, volleyball, tennis, boys and girls track, baseball, and I believe a few other sports during its tenure in the OCC, and at times were in with the "big boys", UA, Worthington, Reynoldsburg, two of the Dublin schools, Groveport, Grove City, Pickerington, Hilliard. Get your facts straight before you post silly things like this.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Especially when Hinton gets the football program rebuilt, Chillicothe could compete well in an OCC small big school division, as could Logan. Frankly, I think a small big school division with those two, Teays, Canal and a few of the present OCC schools would make a lot of sense, rather that be in the OCC or the MSL. Going against D3 schools consistently, especially in Logan's case doesn't help come playoff time. I don't know if Chilli will be D2 long term in football or just for two years.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

moonshine wrote:A source in one of the schools involved confrim that formal invites will be sent out soon. This has been in the works for the last two years plus. Will be better overall for the Chiefs and should be able to spend less $$$$ on transportation. and attandance will improve at all events. This will conform to the school policy of limiting travel to less than 50 miles one way. Will be sad to leave the great SEOAL!

Many of us knew this plan has been in the works for awhile, so no surprises there. What isn't known - or at least isn't known by me - is whether Logan and Chillicothe will accept or reject the invites. It sure makes a lot of sense to accept travel-wise. Logan could keep longstanding rivalries with Jackson and Gallia Academy as non-league games if they wanted to preserve those rivalries.

It all comes down to where Logan and Chillicothe see their future in athletics.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Logan's 2016 Football Schedule

Lancaster
Jackson
Gallia
Zanesville
Whitehall
Teays Valley
Circleville
Logan Elm
Canal Winchester
Chillicothe

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

There is absolutely no way that Jackson keeps Logan on their schedule if the Chiefs leave the SEOAL

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Dinocrocetti wrote:There is absolutely no way that Jackson keeps Logan on their schedule if the Chiefs leave the SEOAL
WHY NOT

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

Dinocrocetti wrote:There is absolutely no way that Jackson keeps Logan on their schedule if the Chiefs leave the SEOAL
I'd say the same for Gallia Academy for travel reasons.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

GAHS83 wrote:
I can understand your reason since Gallia is outside of 50 miles. Just remenber this is a projected schedule.

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

moonshine wrote:
GAHS83 wrote:
I can understand your reason since Gallia is outside of 50 miles. Just remenber this is a projected schedule.
Yeah, I know. I'm not as touchy as some SEOAL fans. I used to live in Lancaster and attended a MSL school myself. I think it will be a great move for Logan.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

buckcraze wrote:
FANOSPORTS wrote:

Not sure where it was "disastrous", Chilly won OCC championships in football, boys basketball, girls basketball, volleyball, tennis, boys and girls track, baseball, and I believe a few other sports during its tenure in the OCC, and at times were in with the "big boys", UA, Worthington, Reynoldsburg, two of the Dublin schools, Groveport, Grove City, Pickerington, Hilliard. Get your facts straight before you post silly things like this.
"30 Years in the OCC" - I don't think they were faring to well with the "big boys" from 1976-1980 and from 1995-2007. Chilly was in the "small" OCC Capital Division from 1981-1995 when it was composed of Mt. Vernon, Westerville North, Whitehall, Delaware, Franklin Heights, Hilliard and Pickerington at that time. Only Whitehall (1993) and Westerville North (1995) in basketball and Whitehall (1984) in football had a premier team in a "major" sport during that time period. The other schools in major sports were mediocre at best for the central ohio area. In later years after Chilly left this division, Hilliard (in football after they grew in later years and had to split) and Pickerington (in girls basketball, football and softball before they split) fielded good teams on a consistent basis. In todays world both Pickerington and Hilliard are in the big boy divisions and doing quite well but both towns are still growing (3 high schools in Hilliard and 2 right now in Pickerington). Very few schools in SEO are growing and most of the schools it seems by the numbers are losing kids every year. Again, my thoughts are that an "expanded" MSL would work very well for both Logan and Chillicothe.

Return to “Football”