SOC/local season predictions after week 1

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

SOC/local season predictions after week 1

Post by NICKNEVADA »

Minford 9-1, stronger than you think
Ironton 8-1,they play Oak Hill? did I c that?
Piketon 8-2, senior laden
sv 9-1, best coach knowone talks about
Valley 7-3
West 7-3, how good is Fairland?
Burg 6-4
Oak Hill 6-4
East 6-4, Crager could play at bigger schools
Nd 7-3, talented offense
green 2-8
nw 3-7
waverly 3-7, tough sched
Phs 2-7-1. alot of great kids and parents but need to see results.
Jax 10-0,

NTHZONE
Waterboy

Re: SOC/local season predictions after week 1

Post by NTHZONE »

Flip Burg and Minford and I'd say you're close !

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Minford is way too high. They beat a bad Rock Hill team at Minford. Now they have been crowned "Champs". Good thing the season is not just one game.
I would also put Burg, West and Valley above Minford with the way their schedule sets up and game locations.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

NICKNEVADA wrote:Minford 9-1, stronger than you think
Ironton 8-1,they play Oak Hill? did I c that?
Piketon 8-2, senior laden
sv 9-1, best coach knowone talks about
Valley 7-3
West 7-3, how good is Fairland?
Burg 6-4
Oak Hill 6-4
East 6-4, Crager could play at bigger schools
Nd 7-3, talented offense
green 2-8
nw 3-7
waverly 3-7, tough sched
Phs 2-7-1. alot of great kids and parents but need to see results.
Jax 10-0,

I like it ;-)

But I dont see West going 7-3 after watching Fairland. West really got pushed around against a not so great Fairland line. I would probably have Waverly at 4-6, PHS at 1-9, Jackson at 9-1 and Burg at 7-3. I would have Minford at 8-2.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

nutronron2012 wrote:Minford is way too high. They beat a bad Rock Hill team at Minford. Now they have been crowned "Champs". Good thing the season is not just one game.
I would also put Burg, West and Valley above Minford with the way their schedule sets up and game locations.

Fairland just throttled West and you would seriously put them in front of Minford? Their line got thumped against a line that is not NEAR as good as Minford's line. This is coming from someone who has seen them both. Minford could go as bad as 5-5. As good as 10-0.

Valley eeked by a very poor PHS team that cant block and absolutely cannot tackle. Not to mentioned cant hold on to the ball. If you cant judge Minford from playing Rock Hill, you certainly cant measure Valley by beating PHS. Valley could go as bad as 5-5 or as good as 10-0.

I think Burg is tough, but I dont think Ironton is quite as good as advertised and I would have Burg at 7-3. I will be amazed if Miller is running the ball the way he is after taking more hits for the next 6-7 games. They will have to find a kid to run the ball 15 times a game and get 100+ yds a game to take the heat off Miller and the passing game. At best Burg is 8-2 (they are not beating Jackson) and as bad as 3-7.

We can all agree to disagree. It will be fun to watch it unfold.

BTW- I think the SOC II comes down to who wants it the most. Who makes their own breaks and doesnt lay down. All the talk about West being the top dawg just went out the window (for now) but they could come charging back. I see Minford, Burg and Valley battling it out. If the game is won or lost in the trenches, I will go with Minford hands down.

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Anonymous_Falcon_Fan »

It is still WAAAAAYYYY TOOO Early to find out how good or bad our local contenders really are. Yea, West got beat against Fairland (not takin' anything away from the Dragons), but they could still easily bounce back. Minford has to go to Wellston this week, so we will found out how good they are. I watched Ironton @ 'Burg, and I think both of those teams are really good. 'burg by far has the toughest non-conference schedule in the SOC. Valley lost probly the best senior class in school history (a bunch of talent to replace), but they will be better than most people believe.

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan wrote:It is still WAAAAAYYYY TOOO Early to find out how good or bad our local contenders really are.
I wholeheartedly agree. Although I'm a Valley fan, I wouldn't place a bet on any of the top 5 teams. I'll be shocked if the Burg goes 6-4 and will be equally surprised if West doesn't finish strong and in the mix. One thing is for certain, most fans talk up their respective teams. Rarely do those teams live up to the hype. Injuries, bad calls, bad bounces and one bad/good play could determine who will be crowned this year as CHAMPIONS. I don't believe anything was determined week 1. The one constant the past few years in the SOC II has revealed is there isn't a constant! The young men who play the game will continue to surprise us!

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

i still think it will come down to burg west and valley. burgs offense will be fun to watch this year and they have the most balance. west will get back on track but it is concerning to hear they was pushed around on both sides of the ball. valley looks good and they have 3 players that can run the ball behind what looks like a good line. i just dont think minford will be there in the end. last year they was awful and i just do see how they got that much better in one year. yes they have a good line but it will take more than that.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

izladoom wrote:i still think it will come down to burg west and valley. burgs offense will be fun to watch this year and they have the most balance. west will get back on track but it is concerning to hear they was pushed around on both sides of the ball. valley looks good and they have 3 players that can run the ball behind what looks like a good line. i just dont think minford will be there in the end. last year they was awful and i just do see how they got that much better in one year. yes they have a good line but it will take more than that.

In reality Minford is one year away from running through the SOC II when all of these juniors and sophomores are one year older. That being said, I would be very surprised to see them finish lower than second place in the league this year barring no injuries. We will get a better feel of how good they are this week.

Unfortunately Valley has a lackluster schedule until they get to conference play. Next week against Coal Grove might be the first real test but that is tbd until we see how good CG is this week.

I would be embarrassed to even throw West into the mix right now based on what happened last week.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

"running through the soc". Do you realize how many soph's and juniors the burgs playing?

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

fbnut wrote:"running through the soc". Do you realize how many soph's and juniors the burgs playing?
How many is every other team playing? Burgs chances are just as good as anyone elses. Of all the SOC team, Burg played the hardest week 1 opponent and only lost by 5 after spotting them 14. Sounds like those Juniors and Soph's are doing fine. Their only problem will be keeping Miller healthy and finding someone to share the work with.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

fbnut wrote:"running through the soc". Do you realize how many soph's and juniors the burgs playing?
Yep!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Bleeding Red wrote:
izladoom wrote:i still think it will come down to burg west and valley. burgs offense will be fun to watch this year and they have the most balance. west will get back on track but it is concerning to hear they was pushed around on both sides of the ball. valley looks good and they have 3 players that can run the ball behind what looks like a good line. i just dont think minford will be there in the end. last year they was awful and i just do see how they got that much better in one year. yes they have a good line but it will take more than that.

In reality Minford is one year away from running through the SOC II when all of these juniors and sophomores are one year older. That being said, I would be very surprised to see them finish lower than second place in the league this year barring no injuries. We will get a better feel of how good they are this week.

Unfortunately Valley has a lackluster schedule until they get to conference play. Next week against Coal Grove might be the first real test but that is tbd until we see how good CG is this week.

I would be embarrassed to even throw West into the mix right now based on what happened last week.
I'm not embarrassed to throw West in the mix the last time we lost to Fairland in 03 we still got a share of the title. Last week lost was a eye opener to the kids and the coaches Fairland did have a very good game plan and it did work for them, they also had alot of help from us. We turned the ballover twice in the red zone and they had four or five possession where our mistakes let them continue those possession, not taking anything away from the Dragons they have a nice ball club. I have been to a few practices where we practiced some stuff offensively and looked really good doing it that I have not seen them run in the scrimmage games or in the Fairland game. One possession last week we came out throwing the ball drove right down the field and scored and went away from it after that. I'm not throwing in the towel yet I think we will be fine.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

I disagree. Any team with a good line will have a great shot at winning the SOC. Now I'm not ready to anoint my Falcons as front runners just yet. I don't think RH was all that great. But when you beat any team 40-0 you played some quality football. The next couple weeks will shake things out a lot more. I'll be suprised if whoever wins the SOC II runs the table in the league though.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

luvbigcats wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:

I'm not embarrassed to throw West in the mix the last time we lost to Fairland in 03 we still got a share of the title. Last week lost was a eye opener to the kids and the coaches Fairland did have a very good game plan and it did work for them, they also had alot of help from us. We turned the ballover twice in the red zone and they had four or five possession where our mistakes let them continue those possession, not taking anything away from the Dragons they have a nice ball club. I have been to a few practices where we practiced some stuff offensively and looked really good doing it that I have not seen them run in the scrimmage games or in the Fairland game. One possession last week we came out throwing the ball drove right down the field and scored and went away from it after that. I'm not throwing in the towel yet I think we will be fine.
I agree that West can turn it around. All I am saying is most were in shock over the loss early to Fairland. I think for the time being, they are not in the mix. Lets see how things get shaken up over the next few weeks and then we can all jaw each other again! I still think there are plenty of upsets on the horizon.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

The above statement is very fair. West might not be as good as this past year, but they are a good team. They played very well against three teams that are perenial winners and possible playoff teams (Ironton, N-y, and Wilmy). I think Friday was the just the perfect storm, away game, everyone played bad, new quarterback, etc...but they are still a strong team. I would say 7-3 at worst still, but hey I am biased towards those siders.

Btw, Minford is definitely the sleeper team to watch for this year.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

sider wrote:The above statement is very fair. West might not be as good as this past year, but they are a good team. They played very well against three teams that are perenial winners and possible playoff teams (Ironton, N-y, and Wilmy). I think Friday was the just the perfect storm, away game, everyone played bad, new quarterback, etc...but they are still a strong team. I would say 7-3 at worst still, but hey I am biased towards those siders.

Btw, Minford is definitely the sleeper team to watch for this year.
I'm not a bit biased towards the siders and I say they 7-3 at worst as well. Probably 8-2 or even 9-1. They play most the teams that would have a chance to beat them at home.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

My preseason pick for a thre way tie between Minford, West and BURG is looking better all the time!

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Judging and making predictions after the first week is red crazy. Two things are bound to happen in the opening week.

1. You will have a team come out pumped up and are pinning there whole season on that one game.
2. You have a team come out flat and unprepared mentally and struggle.

The true judge of a season is not the first week but how they play after the first week. Any team can play lights out for one week or play very poorly. Its how well they adjust to those first games that are the true judge of what a team is made of.
Thats why you don't play conference games right out of the shoot. But it is still intertaining to see everyone take on what has happened. Good luck to all the local teams on the rest of the season.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

It's obvious whoever has the best record will win the SOC. So, my prediction is whatever team(s) have the best record in conference play. Hopefully the Indians are right there.

Return to “Football”