Week 4: Athens (2-1) @ Jackson (2-1)

Ironman88
Riding the Bench

Re: Week 4: Athens (2-1) @ Jackson (2-1)

Post by Ironman88 »

What happened to spires?

Gecko
Varsity

Post by Gecko »

Good Job Bulldogs from the Tomcats.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Looked like a knee injury. Heard he was icing it on the sideline, and didn't return after the first series or two.

Troy
Freshman Team

Post by Troy »

I've read in the paper the last two years about the Betchel kid being a nationally ranked TE for his class. Has a pass ever been thrown to him? The Williams kid is also a big target. Seem like they would be comfortable (easy to see) targets for the young QB.

#8 for Jackson looked to be very close to breaking a big one on the first drive but hardly touched the ball while the offense just kept stalling. Then in the 4th #8 gets a carry and breaks off for a huge run. Looks like a fine player.

The offensive line just isn't getting it done.

Surprising that crew was permitted to do that game as one of the Ironmen player's Dad was on the crew. Didn't help at all, it just seemed strange.

Can Jackson beat Wheelersburg? Talk will begin if they don't.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Wow! The Bulldogs and Ironmen didn't disappoint tonight, everyone in Alumni Stadium got their $5.00 worth many times over in this game. First off hats off to the Athens defense, with all the hype surrounding the offense this season the Bulldog defense stepped up to the plate and won this game in a hostile environment against an excellent Jackson team. A few tidbits from the game, both teams were a bit sloppy at times with mental errors, coverage errors and dropped balls but those things tend to happen in big games, the Ironmen defense forced four turnovers while the Athens defense was able to force two, both teams had long touchdowns called back due to penalties, Jackson a long TD pass due to holding and Athens a 90 yd interception return due to a block in the back. All in all this was a fun game to watch throughout, both teams played their hearts out and left it all on the field, both schools should be proud after the youngmen on the field tonight played such a competitive and hard hitting game with no personal fouls and not even one scuffle, it shows alot about the charactor of both programs. Congratulations to Athens and good luck to Jackson the rest of the way!

Ironman88
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman88 »

Tonights game was about as bad as two teams can play and somebody win.Jacksons line could not block Athens up front and will have this problem all year as long as teams can put 8 or 9 guy in the box. jackson can not pass and when they get a good throw they drop it. The defense misses to many tackles and very little hitting on the ones they make and they blow to many pass coverages. Athens played bad on offense missed alot of chances to score and defense looked soft.But at the end Athens boys made plays and Jacksons boys did not good win for Athens time for Jackson to do some soul searching and find some play makers or this will be long season or maybe a short one for some the road is not getting any softer burg, gallia, warren these teams will put it on you if your not ready time to step up and play Ironman football or step aside for youth they are not far behind you.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

85cruiser wrote:Lotta mistakes this game by both teams.

Athens defense steps up to the challenge in the 2nd half and allows Athens it's 1st win in Jackson since 1989.

Great offense adjustments at halftime turned the tide against Jackson too.
ATHENS BEAT JACKSON IN 1990 ... BUBBA LICHTENBERG HIT DAVE CORRIGAN IN THE BACK OF THE ENDZONE WITH LITTLE TIME LEFT ON THE CLOCK ... THE WIN PROPELLED ATHENS TO THE PLAYOFFS AND KNOCKED JACKSON OUT.

Power 105
All Conference

Post by Power 105 »

Here is a postgame recap with some stats: http://wxtq.com/sports/2012/09/14/athen ... set-21-14/

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

RedSolo wrote:I've read in the paper the last two years about the Betchel kid being a nationally ranked TE for his class. Has a pass ever been thrown to him? The Williams kid is also a big target. Seem like they would be comfortable (easy to see) targets for the young QB.

#8 for Jackson looked to be very close to breaking a big one on the first drive but hardly touched the ball while the offense just kept stalling. Then in the 4th #8 gets a carry and breaks off for a huge run. Looks like a fine player.

The offensive line just isn't getting it done.

Surprising that crew was permitted to do that game as one of the Ironmen player's Dad was on the crew. Didn't help at all, it just seemed strange.

Can Jackson beat Wheelersburg? Talk will begin if they don't.

I think Betschel has attended several camps and performed well. He has had a lot of injuries to deal with lately, but I think he played very well at OLB tonight. He has been targeted in the passing game a few times, but it just hasn't worked out. I would assume he'll be utilized more as Rafferty gets more and more comfortable throwing the football.

Coming into the season, I thought the offensive line would be the strength of the offense. They also have had injuries and sicknesses, but they really haven't been consistent at all, especially not tonight. I'm not trying to criticize the kids, but I think they're capable of playing much better. I thought tonight was a "do or die" type of situation, but next week at Wheelersburg certainly is. Hopefully they're up to the challenge.

Jackson can beat Wheelersburg, but not the way they played tonight. Everyone needs to get healthy, get focused again, and get to work.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

93Bulldog wrote:

Athens defense steps up to the challenge in the 2nd half and allows Athens it's 1st win in Jackson since 1989.

ATHENS BEAT JACKSON IN 1990 ... BUBBA LICHTENBERG HIT DAVE CORRIGAN IN THE BACK OF THE ENDZONE WITH LITTLE TIME LEFT ON THE CLOCK ... THE WIN PROPELLED ATHENS TO THE PLAYOFFS AND KNOCKED JACKSON OUT.
But it was in Athens. Come on, man! :)

85cruiser
Riding the Bench

Post by 85cruiser »

93Bulldog wrote:

Athens defense steps up to the challenge in the 2nd half and allows Athens it's 1st win IN JACKSON since 1989.

my caps lock is bigger than yours................. :lol:

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I think I, along with a lot of other Jackson fans, am guilty of expecting too much out of this team. They're very talented, and they've lost two close games to teams that are probably going to win 8, 9, or 10 games respectively. However, I think we expected them to not skip a beat after losing such a great set of seniors last year. This year's team is young and/or inexperienced at a lot of key positions. You can have a ton of talent, but if you don't have the experience, sometimes you struggle at first. There were at least 5 sophomores starting out there tonight for the Ironmen, and several other players that really didn't have large roles last year. What I was trying to say during the week, and didn't say very well, is that we need to be patient with these guys. They're gonna make mistakes, they're gonna do some things well, and overall, I think they're still gonna have a good season. Like I said before, perfect seasons are few and far between. No matter how good your program is, or how much you expect out of your team, it's hard to win 10 games, or even 8 or 9. I know we expect to win in Jackson, especially with all the success of the last couple years, but sometimes you have to go through some losses, learn from them, and then get better. This team has two choices. They can let the last couple weeks ruin their entire season, and end up around the .500 mark, or they can learn from the mistakes and get better.

As frustrating as it may be for fans, parents, and friends, the team and staff have much more invested in this than us. I believe in this team, and I believe in this staff. I'm confident that they'll get things corrected and play much better next week. Will that equate to a win at Wheelersburg? I sure hope so, but we'll see what happens. Burg has a lot of confidence right now, and they're talented. Their young guys from last year are a year older now, and they're starting to play well.

In the end, I'm not saying this to insinuate that this year's team isn't good, or that our players aren't good. They're a very talented group that's adjusting to their new roles and to varsity football. Sometimes the transition is easy, sometimes it's not. Our experienced guys need to step up, be leaders, and help get things straightened out.

Ironman88
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman88 »

I also thought o line would be our strength this year andthey did missed blocks tonight but hard to block 9 guys in the box.Like I wrote earlier to many people watching the play and not blocking line,backs,wideouts kids just not playing hard every play the whole play. Seen # 24 freshman on kick off team tonight beat SR,JR,SO to the ball on two kick offs tonight and he's not faster than the all the other boys just flat out effort and wanting to play

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

IN ATHENS ... IN JACKSON ... IN THE BACKYARD ...

I JUST WANTED TO GET MY 1990 PLUG IN THEIR SOMEWHERE ... lol

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

WELL 93- MORE RECENT PLUG WOULD BE -2002

In the Slop of R.Basil R. Field, mud from head to toe, two teams battled to the very end...
Grant Gregory ended the drama intercepting Jared Humphreys to seal the win for the Dogs!

I think both teams had some pretty decent running backs that year, who was that #2 for Athens 93Dog? Have you seen him lately?

ALSO, GREAT WIN ATHENS! IT IS NEVER EASY TO BEAT JACKSON WHETEHER IT IS IN JACKSON, ATHENS or ON THE MOON...THE IRONMEN ARE A TOUGH BATTLE EVERY YEAR!

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Post by firecracker »

The O-line needs help, I can't believe any of the other 60 plus kids on the sidelines could not be swapped in. I was also told a "special" freshman was on special teams this game. I guess all the other players on the sidelines are there for show???

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Doesn't Athens have one of their best running backs out?

Ironman88
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman88 »

firecracker wrote:The O-line needs help, I can't believe any of the other 60 plus kids on the sidelines could not be swapped in. I was also told a "special" freshman was on special teams this game. I guess all the other players on the sidelines are there for show???

Like I said he was first guy to the ball on two kickoffs last night and has been a stand out player in freshemen and jv games this year. So if you mean "special" because he's earned a shot than your right,and i see more young players putting pressure on kids
positions on Fridays after last night. Thats the way it should be put the players on the field if you want to be one than you better step up or someone else will. LET THE BEST PLAY NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE SO STRAP IN ON BOYS I DONT SEE ANYBODYS STARTING JOB SAFE AFTER LAST NIGHT>

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

noreply66 wrote:Doesn't Athens have one of their best running backs out?
Freddie Stalder has been out all season ... hurt his knee in the Morgan scrimmage.

QUESTIONMARK ... I think if #2 would have played better - we might have won in 2003 as well ....... :mrgreen:

J/K man ... the 2003 game was AWESOME and all the 'Dogs played great ... just couldn't overcome a talented kid on a mission that night (Jared Humphreys)

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I'm fairly certain that Coach Hall and his staff are going to play the kids that give them the best chance to win at this point in time.

Return to “Football”