Changing the TVC

fortdawg
All Conference

Changing the TVC

Post by fortdawg »

The league will put 3 teams in the playoffs, with Athens and Trimble hosting (Sorry, I don't know enough about WV to say Wahama is hosting---I hope they are). 2 more teams Eastern and NY just missed. NY would have made some noise once they got in---they have a good football team. I believe they would have made the playoffs if they had the same team to start the season that they finished with.
The point I want to make here is that everyone wants to slice,dice and add (or subtract) from the TVC. It's a playoff generating machine---we could have easily have sent 5 teams---If Eastern's in--- the Hocking would have sent a third of it's teams! So tell me again why we are in a rush to change things up.

Golfer101
JV Team

Re: Changing the TVC

Post by Golfer101 »

If maw had balls she would be paw. How do you figure either of those teams would have made any noise. Eastern couldn't beat Southern who only had 3 wins and Nelsonville couldn't beat schools in smaller divisions than their in.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

The Hocking is a playoff generating machine for sure. The key is for a Hocking team to win a least one of their non-conference games. The first three teams have a shot of getting in the playoffs just about every year.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I limited the noise comment to NY and pointed out that we'll never know but I'm saying that the team that played from game 3 on wouldn't have lost their first two games. They put it on some schools that were bigger than them----hey like I said we'll never know but after watching them in person several times and on tape several more---I believe they were a fine football team. What I do know for sure is that the TVC as it is structured now sends multiple teams to the playoffs----break it up into 3 divisions or what ever and that could disappear.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Keep two divisions for football.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Don't want to ruffle and feathers here but making the playoffs is one thing advancing in them is another.
And that should be a goal of every team first step is to make the playoffs second is to advance in them.
Seems every year Southeastern Ohio teams are getting beat in the first round I want every team in pur region to win and want to see them advance to the state game.
But it seems they make playoffs and that is it a few teams do advance to second round yes but it always seems to be the same ones.
Just hope all the teams that made it this year will do us proud and advance I know a few will on part of playing local teams in the area.
But the teams Like Gallia Acadamy and Athens and Ironton and a few others have the opportunity to show what they have with out of area teams good luck to everyone and may everyone stay heathly

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

For most of the TVC Hocking schools, making the playoffs is the goal

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Keep 2 divisions and add to the Ohio side.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I agree with Supertrooper---especially if your first game is against the University of Newark Catholic or Fisher Catholic. Vctransplant---I think what you want will happen.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

The league is a joke as a whole. I've been told that that AD's in the past few years haven't even followed the bylaws when voting on things and it's such a mess the princpals have stepped in to stop three divisions and will be making the rules on what the divisions look like. What the should have is a commissioner to run things and make sure all bylaws are followed. I know it's tough since most schools don't have full time AD's and have cut the position down except the Athens pay's the AD what $60,000.00 plus and Alex now has a full time AD. Most Ad's take it because they can make a little extra money to go along with their teaching position. It seems that the AD's are only concerned for what's best for their school and not for the league as a whole.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Fortdawg wrote:I agree with Supertrooper---especially if your first game is against the University of Newark Catholic or Fisher Catholic. Vctransplant---I think what you want will happen.
I just think it makes sense. Five non-conference games are tough to schedual especially later in the year when most teams belong to bigger conferences. It limits who you can scheduale after game three. I dont think adding one team is the ansewer that will cause a schedualing nightmare, I think it has to be two teams. That will give everyone three non and seven conference games.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Super Trooper wrote:For most of the TVC Hocking schools, making the playoffs is the goal

I agree. When you field a team with 30 or less players as most Hocking teams do, the goals should be in this order...

1. Having a winning season
2. Winning the conference
3. Making the playoffs

I think these are also the goals of the Ohio teams because most Ohio teams are dressing less than 50 players.

Lets face it, for the most part because the TVC is basically made up of rural schools, getting the numbers up in football makes it a huge task to successfully compete against the same size schools who are either city based or are not as spread out district wide vs the TVC schools to allow the TVC to get past the second round of the football playoffs.

With River Valley coming into the Ohio in 2014 ( which they don't want to do now), the Ohio division will have the same problems the Hocking currently does with an odd number of teams. Logic says to move 1 Hocking team (based on enrollment) up to the Ohio but nobody wants to do that and I don't blame them. Football, year in and year out, is a numbers game more so than any other sport besides track.

Since nobody wants to move from the Hocking to the Ohio then the TVC needs to add 1 more team to the Ohio (which I don't think will happen)and split the Hocking into 2 seperate divisions based on enrollment. Look around the state and you will find several of the larger conferences have 3 divisons. This allows for a total of 3 schools to become conference champions. It gives more schools the chance to win titles, have winning seasons, make the playoffs and schedule games that make for attractive gates. Some of the current games among Hocking teams could still take place as nonconference games and give you increased flexibility in your scheduling.

The TVC ADs, for the most part, do a good job at what they do. All of them, except for 2, are doing it as a part time job with part time pay but it is really a full time job. Yes, the ADs did screw up when bringing Wahama into the TVC by not following the bylaws (...all TVC schools will be a member of the OHSAA...) but that has been amended and Wahama is a member of the WVSSAC so case is closed. The school Supers stepped over their bounds and should NOT have stuck their noses into the ADs job this past summer. If the Supers want to oversee sports, then they need to do the ENTIRE job which includes scheduling games, busses, officials AND spending countless/thankless hours at the school.

Yes, the TVC needs a commissioneer but it will never happen because of the cost involved since all of the schools have very limited resources.

The main thing to keep in mind is that the ADs have to stay focused on athletics as a whole, not just football, and this includes boys and girls sports and the well being of the student athletes.

The TVC is moving in the right direction and in my opinion it needs to be 3 seperate divisions based on school size.

Just my honest opinion.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Mister B I agree with everything you said except splitting the league into 3 divisions. I question whether the flexibility you taut will mean greater gates and better games or could leave you scrambling just to fill out a schedule. I remember Miller having to play Danville and Jackson a couple of years just to get games---that type of flexibility I can do without. Overall I think we are in agreement on everything else.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

Keep the 2 divisions and if River Valley joins the Ohio then move 1 team from the Hocking over to the Ohio.If no volunteers then move the biggest school.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Wouldn't that be Federal Hocking or Belpre the biggest school in the Hocking?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

My vote would be to keep the divisions as they are and add Warren to the TVC OHIO. But I don't get a vote! lol

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

WarriorBlue wrote:Wouldn't that be Federal Hocking or Belpre the biggest school in the Hocking?
Based on the last set of enrollment numbers it would be Belpre...145 vs 138.

However, in 2 more years when the OHSAA releases its new numbers it could be another school.

You currently have 3 schools that could be moving up and down every 2 years since their numbers are so very close...NY at 151, Belpre at 145 and FH at 138.

I don't think the TVC and it's members want a revolving door with 3 schools always on the verge of being moved up or down. That is why you ask if someone is interested. With none interested you look elsewhere and since the TVC won't bring in anymore larger schools you look at something more creative like 3 divisons. Just my opinion.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:My vote would be to keep the divisions as they are and add Warren to the TVC OHIO. But I don't get a vote! lol
I agree and I don't have a vote either.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Put Wahama in the Ohio ;)

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Super Trooper wrote:Put Wahama in the Ohio ;)
;-)

Return to “Football”