Kasich: Sales Tax should apply to high school football games

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Kasich: Sales Tax should apply to high school football games

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.wfmj.com/story/21236163/ohio ... en-bowling
Ohio tax plan hits concerts, sports, even bowling
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - Gov. John Kasich's plan to expand Ohio's sales tax might take some of the fun out of going to concerts, high school football games and amusement parks.

Kasich wants to cut the state's overall sales-tax rate while also applying the lower 5% tax on new items like bowling alleys, pool halls, circuses and arcade games.

Admission to fairs, museums, and theme parks would come under Ohio's sales tax for the first time. So would tickets to pro, college and high school games.

The question facing Ohio's entertainment and sports operators is whether they would pass the costs onto ticket buyers and customers if lawmakers approve the plan.

The Republican governor says it brings fairness to Ohio's tax rates. Opponents say it's the wrong time to widen the sales tax.

bman
SEO

Re: Kasich: Sales Tax should apply to high school football g

Post by bman »

I'm against Kasich's tax proposal, but this is just dumber than crap. Can we keep taxes out of anything in our society? This is a basic family function that especially lower income folks due, because it is affordable.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

i would have no problem with this. because if i was saving the extra that i pay in sales tax on everything else i could afford to pay tax for these extras.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Another stupid R idea ( as are most of them). A sales tax is regressive against the poor and Middle class. It will also put a strain on schools budgets as people will stop going with increased prices. This guy has been a clown since he got in office. Gee, most be time for another tax cut to the R's rich friends. :shock:

When will the voting public wake up ? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

Paladin wrote:Another stupid R idea ( as are most of them). A sales tax is regressive against the poor and Middle class. It will also put a strain on schools budgets as people will stop going with increased prices. This guy has been a clown since he got in office. Gee, most be time for another tax cut to the R's rich friends. :shock:

How in the world can you throw a jab at "R" for raising taxes after all the "D's" are raising taxes on every thing coming and going? And I will agree, when will the voting public wake up! Why not drug test all the recipients of social programs before they recieve their checks. Oh, I forgot the "D's" wont stand for that. Sorry to bring politics into it but you sir started it.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Thought R's were not supposed to raise taxes :aaaaa46 ,but all politics aside what a stupid idea for already struggling school districts who need this money

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

It really going to hurt the schools where football basically supports the schools athletic department. Its not going to just hurt football. How about the cross country runners or the golfers or wrestlers that depend on the football money to have equipment, uniforms and money to pay the coaches.

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

This is an assanine proposal ...i say throw the extra taxes on tattoos ...then every drug addict, pro and college ballplayers and everyone on state assistance could actually give back some of what we give them ....which is state funded rehab , ungodly prices for pro and college events now ( not to mention if this passes ) and free groceries

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

.25 cents on a $5 dollar ticket. oh the horror.

bellyoption
Freshman Team

Post by bellyoption »

C-Bolt wrote:Thought R's were not supposed to raise taxes :aaaaa46 ,but all politics aside what a stupid idea for already struggling school districts who need this money
By adding a tax to things such as sporting events among other things, it will make it so income taxes will be lower. I think it it as good idea.

Almost 50% of the nation doesnt pay taxes anyway, this is a chance for the government to get some of their money. :12222

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

bellyoption wrote:
C-Bolt wrote:Thought R's were not supposed to raise taxes :aaaaa46 ,but all politics aside what a stupid idea for already struggling school districts who need this money
By adding a tax to things such as sporting events among other things, it will make it so income taxes will be lower. I think it it as good idea.

Almost 50% of the nation doesnt pay taxes anyway, this is a chance for the government to get some of their money. :12222
Also quite a few people do not pay property tax to support schools! sales tax is a fair share idea as along as basics food items are not inclued. Cut the income and property tax which only about 50% of the people pay!

Wait a minute This is the 47%!!!!!!
Last edited by moonshine on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

blue53 wrote:.25 cents on a $5 dollar ticket. oh the horror.
You aare exactly correct blue. A whopping quarter on a ticket for hs sports. I also agree that welfare recipients should pass a drug screen before getting a check. I have to pass one in order to work, why are they any better than I?
Paladin is a known idiot.

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

Paladin wrote:Another stupid R idea ( as are most of them). A sales tax is regressive against the poor and Middle class. It will also put a strain on schools budgets as people will stop going with increased prices. This guy has been a clown since he got in office. Gee, most be time for another tax cut to the R's rich friends. :shock:

Heres and idea, when you get to the game, dig through the ash tray or wherever you keep your change and get an xtra quarter. Look under the seat or house cushions.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I can tell you the schools up here are already on record opposing this. Most tickets here are $6 now. Its not the price of ONE ticket, its the cost for a family of 4 or 5 to go. The tax is a dumb idea that hits the poor & Middle class and the local ADs and administrations know what happens when prices go up -- they lose paying fans. School budgets are tight. Ask around. I'll stand on my comments -- this is another stupid R idea as most of their ideas are dumb. Check out the polls with the issues asked of the public. BTW, add up the costs for all school athletic events. I'm betting $$$$$$$$$ SEO will not travel AND pay higher prices with a sales tax.

My 2 cents.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

We already pay a large amount of money on school taxes. He needs to leave this alone. Why don't we cut some of his salary and his staffs.

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

Instead of him sitting around and trying to think of ways to hurt high school sports and make money off of them.How about coming up with a solution on equal funding. The state lost the Perry County suit almost twenty years ago and still haven't really done anything about it. If he had a clue he would realize the city of Columbus is about to get all kind of tax money off of high school basketball in the month of March. Quit being greedy and leave it alone.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Actually, behind closed doors some schools/leagues are talking about a possible doubling of ticket prices. Don't focus on the little 5% sales tax, focus on the fact most of the schools in southeastern ohio are being told they are held harmless for the next two years and then they lose the guarantee money and drop in state funding. My school district would drop over a million dollars if the guarantee ends. The school has cut all that can be cut. Sports supporting itself is about the only thing left. It won't make up a $1M difference but it will take care of a chunk of it.

I still have hopes that sensible people will force him to scrap all his crazy ideas. The Rs in charge right now do not have the best interest of all citizens in mind, and you are hearing this from a life-long R.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Man it's gonna be a pain giving back $0.95 to every driver paying to park at Jackson. Lol

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Guy's we will be paying less income tax so what the big deal pay it one way or another! No mattter what kind of tax everybody should pay there fair share. What a few penny's one less smoke or drink!

bellyoption
Freshman Team

Post by bellyoption »

Fred G. Sanford wrote:We already pay a large amount of money on school taxes. He needs to leave this alone. Why don't we cut some of his salary and his staffs.
Not everyone pays school taxes. This would be a way of getting money from people who don't pay taxes to schools money. If you pay income tax, you should like this idea becuase it is going to lower the income tax rate.

How would cutting a few people's salary come close to the amount of money they would generate from this new tax? :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”