Freshman Team

Fairland Coaching Position

Post by outsider »

The Fairland coaching position has been posted on the OHSAA web site

osu 77
All State

Re: Fairland Coaching Position

Post by osu 77 »

As I was looking at it they wanted someone with 3 years of head coaching experience and a teaching job maybe open in the spring. Same for South Point with the teaching position. I would say that they need to assure that there would be a teaching position before I would jump on it. Both schools have things to offer but it will be a tuff few years for both. Ironton and Portsmouth coming into the league will make football tougher for the whole OVC. If I was looking for a job I would jump on the Portsmouth job talent and facilities second to none.

Good luck to all the AD's looking for coaches

mr.hyde
Riding the Bench

Post by mr.hyde »

The absence of assured teaching positions definitely limits the range of applicants for any of those jobs.

mr.hyde
Riding the Bench

Post by mr.hyde »

Three years experience but no teaching spots? Who do they expect to apply for these positions?

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

ON any Friday night, you can find a whole host of qualified coaches on SEOPs... :12222 :mrgreen:

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

The admin at Fairland should contact Paladin. He will get Fairland to the state championship in short order. He will do this by getting them in a North East Ohio conference, playing all NE Ohio teams. That's the only way to get better according to him. If Fairland is too scared to do this, tell South Point to call him. :lol:

rOWDYfAN
Waterboy

Post by rOWDYfAN »

Has anyone heard who has applied at this time?

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

Deleted by dragoncoach56
Last edited by dragoncoach56 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coachb
Freshman Team

Post by coachb »

I hope
#1. BOE lets him hire good assts. he has to surround himself with good people.
#2. BOE keeps their noses out of his choices of who plays and who doesn't.
#3. Fans give him a couple years to bring the team back to winning ways before bashing him.
FHS has been so screwed up the last 10 years or so it's going to take a little time to get a winning mentality back ( other than Hamolka's one year).
Also I wish the OHSAA report would be released to the public.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

What is Cunningham's qualifcations as a coach? I know he was a great player but what is his coaching background?

#15pigskinfan$$1
Waterboy

Post by #15pigskinfan$$1 »

The only thing that I have been able to find is that he was 7-13 in two seasons as Wharton High School's HC in the Tampa, FL area.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

JCEagles wrote:The only thing that I have been able to find is that he was 7-13 in two seasons as Wharton High School's HC in the Tampa, FL area.
That is not correct. See article below.

Cunningham to develop Fairland football program
Feb. 01, 2015 @ 12:01 AM
By TIM STEPHENS
ROME TOWNSHIP, Ohio - Melvin Cunningham isn't interested in just coaching a football team at Fairland High School. He wants to develop a program.

Cunningham was named as the Dragons new head coach Friday night. The former All-American cornerback at Marshall University said he relishes the opportunity to lead a team that went 2-8 last season a year after going 7-4, winning the Ohio Valley Conference championship and making the playoffs. "I want us to make the middle school, youth league and high school programs one big family, one organization," Cunningham said. "We want all of us to be one team on one mission."

Cunningham was an all-state running back at Matewan High School in West Virginia before signing at Marshall, where he helped the Thundering Herd to the 1996 NCAA Division I-AA national championship. He was signed by the Miami Dolphins and also spent two years with the Tampa Bay Storm of the Arena Football League before a severe knee injury ended his playing career.

Cunningham has head coaching experience. his first season at Tug Valley, the Panthers went 1-9 before going 7-3 a year later. He also coached one season at Wharton High School in Tampa, Fla., going 2-7.

"This is exciting," Cunningham said of the Fairland job. "It will be a challenge, but one I'm excited about. I don't know a lot of people in the area, yet, so I'm getting to know them and the players." Because he doesn't yet know his players, Cunningham said he will reserve his style of play until after he sees what he has. "We can have a philosophy, but it has to mesh with the talent to be effective," Cunningham said.

Cunningham also is keeping mum on his staff before talking to some people he has in mind. Fairland Board of Education President Gary Sowards said he is pleased with the hire. Sowards said Cunningham was selected over 31 other applicants. "He appears to be an extremely high character person," Sowards said. "He knows the Xs and Os of football. He has a good background. He's a good teacher and really seems like a class act. I'm eager to see what kind of program he can build for us."

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

I'm really hoping he can get the kids to shake last season off and all of the negativity of the off season and re-focus the energy of the program on being successful once again.

Best of luck, Coach Cunningham, and welcome to Dragon Country!

#15pigskinfan$$1
Waterboy

Post by #15pigskinfan$$1 »

4th n Goal wrote:
JCEagles wrote:The only thing that I have been able to find is that he was 7-13 in two seasons as Wharton High School's HC in the Tampa, FL area.
That is not correct. See article below.
Thanks for the clarification. As I said, that is all that I could find from a simple search at sptimes.com. Be interesting to see what he comes up with.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

I sure was hoping for another coach in the area with a catchy name. Maybe someone can come up with one for this new coach? :mrgreen:

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Just wandering how many coaches has Fairland had in the last 5 to 10 years. Seems like they change coaches quite often.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Wow Sherlock. No one would of known that! :122245 are you wandering around or are you wondering :lol:

xnd1fan
Waterboy

Post by xnd1fan »

Another year another football coach at Fairland. Seems to me you need a new administration. You have a good coach in your system. Wake up!!!

Return to “Football”