D3 State final Athens vs Toledo Central Catholic Thurs 7:30

Pol pot
SE

Re: D3 State final Athens vs Toledo Central Catholic Thurs 7

Post by Pol pot »

eagles73 wrote:That was one of the best offensive lines in high school football as a whole I have seen in a long time. Holding while engaging in the block and the hands not being extended is not holding! If the hands stay in the box of the defenders shoulder pads it isnt holding, yes by definition it is holding but you are not going to get that call. Neither team could stop the other, TCC with the run, Athens with the pass. I was hollering at the tv to let them (TCC) score when they got the ball down to the 25 to give Athens a chance with the ball.

Congratulations to Athens on a fine season.

+1, I was just getting ready to post that some on here need to learn what holding really is.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I tell you the D3 State Championship game between the Athens Bulldogs , and the Toledo Central Catholic Fighting Irish may have been the most exciting game I ever saw. If defense was what you are after this ain't your game. Toledo won it I think 58-56 right at the end.I knew about 1/2 way through the 1st quarter, That this would be a track meet, And likely the last team with the ball would win.Athens air raid offense was not being stopped by the Fighting Irish defenders.Athens featured Burrow at QB, And a stable of very tall recievers that could catch everything, And had plenty of chances as nearly every play the Irish blitzed.----------And the Bulldogs got gashed all night long by a killer running game by the Irish.The Athens D-line was outweighed by 62 pounds a man across the front.Number 40 for the Irish is a beast. I could still see him running in my sleep last night.My first time watching Ohio State commit, Joe Burrows the QB at Athens, And he is amazing.And he Had a great receiving corp as well. TCC had an enourmous line, And a stellar running game. This game was everything it was cracked up to be.Frank Stams said he hated to see it end.And that it was the best game he ever saw. Everybody loved it being back in Columbus.What a pleasure to have seen this game.I hope all 7 are like this. Ohio High School Football is alive and well, And Athens has nothing to hang their head about in their 1st State Championship Game.And Joe Burrows----Brother see you next year in Scarlet and Grey.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

I had to listen to this on the radio as my local cable provider does not have Sport Time Ohio.

If anyone has the game on dvr and could get me a copy, it would be a great Christmas present.

fairlandboi'06
Riding the Bench

Post by fairlandboi'06 »

I know alot of people were not satisfied with the officials but lets face it, officials are human and make mistakes from time to time. I seen several times the officials made mistakes in last nights game. The roughing the passer that was called on TCC was a terrible call, I mean come on the kid was pulling up and barely touched Burrow. They missed the call when Stalder leveled the TCC QB a full 2 seconds after he released the ball. I could go on and on, the countless times that Athens is not set before the snap. I would be interested to see the penalty yardage for both side because I am pretty sure THE A-TRAIN got way more calls than TCC.

JUST MY THOUGHTS GUYS!!!

fairlandboi'06
Riding the Bench

Post by fairlandboi'06 »

Has anyone seen or heard from 93Bulldog. I know he usually has a thing or two to say, c-mon 93Bulldog lets hear your opinion on the officials.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

The true beauty of the game was on display last night. I speak not of the game or the outcome but the honest expression of emotion after the game. Both sides had reason to expect they should have won. Neither team deserved to lose but one had to and unfortunately it was Athens. The tears of disappointment for the Athens players were genuine. Many will never play competitive football again. Such is the nature and the purity of the HS game. They achieved much more than the vast majority of teams and still the reality of the moment registered. In my mind, they are true champions.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Wizard wrote:I know alot of people were not satisfied with the officials but lets face it, officials are human and make mistakes from time to time. I seen several times the officials made mistakes in last nights game. The roughing the passer that was called on TCC was a terrible call, I mean come on the kid was pulling up and barely touched Burrow. They missed the call when Stalder leveled the TCC QB a full 2 seconds after he released the ball. I could go on and on, the countless times that Athens is not set before the snap. I would be interested to see the penalty yardage for both side because I am pretty sure THE A-TRAIN got way more calls than TCC.

JUST MY THOUGHTS GUYS!!!
From OHSAA Official Stats (http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/2014/2014ohsaa1.htm)
Penalties:
Number-Yards
TCC 10-77
ATHENS 2-10

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Pol Pot wrote:
eagles73 wrote:That was one of the best offensive lines in high school football as a whole I have seen in a long time. Holding while engaging in the block and the hands not being extended is not holding! If the hands stay in the box of the defenders shoulder pads it isnt holding, yes by definition it is holding but you are not going to get that call. Neither team could stop the other, TCC with the run, Athens with the pass. I was hollering at the tv to let them (TCC) score when they got the ball down to the 25 to give Athens a chance with the ball.

Congratulations to Athens on a fine season.

+1, I was just getting ready to post that some on here need to learn what holding really is.
Not going to argue with you Mr. Pot, but I know what true holding really is. The yellow laundry should have been flying a lot more than it was. That's my opinion and I'm done with this subject. Other than that both teams played with lots of heart and gave it all they had. One He((a of a game.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Did anyone see the motion penalty that should have been called on the TCC running back on the last TD? He left way early.With that said its the best football game I have seen this season and that includes college or pro also.

dslig1frompriz
Riding the Bench

Post by dslig1frompriz »

For those that say it's not holding if your hands are inside, watch the replay of the game. Offensive lineman tackles the linebacker on the screen. Number 30 almost got his jersey ripped off from behind in the game winning touchdown.
I'm not a bulldog fan by any means, but I hate to see anyone get cheated.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

dazed&confused wrote:The true beauty of the game was on display last night. I speak not of the game or the outcome but the honest expression of emotion after the game. Both sides had reason to expect they should have won. Neither team deserved to lose but one had to and unfortunately it was Athens. The tears of disappointment for the Athens players were genuine. Many will never play competitive football again. Such is the nature and the purity of the HS game. They achieved much more than the vast majority of teams and still the reality of the moment registered. In my mind, they are true champions.

what an awesome post.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Great season Athens! What a ballgame.

Looks like it has started early

Private schools-1
Public schools-0

One of the announcers made the statement that TCC had over 100 players to Athens 40 some. Something just wrong with that picture.

I heard frank stams say that.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Natisilverback wrote:For those that say it's not holding if your hands are inside, watch the replay of the game. Offensive lineman tackles the linebacker on the screen. Number 30 almost got his jersey ripped off from behind in the game winning touchdown.
I'm not a bulldog fan by any means, but I hate to see anyone get cheated.
Thank you, Natisilverback. I'm not a Bulldog fan either but I seen it clearly as well, among others I was watching the game with.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

A few thoughts I took away from the final series of the game. 1.How bad I feel for Williams, a heck of a player who dropped the game winner 2. The officials probably did miss a false start and a hold. With that being said, Athens had chances on a couple 4th downs and Williams, an OU running back, has to catch that ball in the endzone to end the game. Athens should've won this game and that is the reason everyone is so upset. JMO

fairlandboi'06
Riding the Bench

Post by fairlandboi'06 »

Super Trooper wrote:A few thoughts I took away from the final series of the game. 1.How bad I feel for Williams, a heck of a player who dropped the game winner 2. The officials probably did miss a false start and a hold. With that being said, Athens had chances on a couple 4th downs and Williams, an OU running back, has to catch that ball in the endzone to end the game. Athens should've won this game and that is the reason everyone is so upset. JMO

Should have, could have, probably so but they didnt and it was not the officials fault. Athens lined up against a team that could do the same as them and thats score at will. The only difference was TCC lined up and ran right at Athens, ole big #40 was punishing kids and #1 was flat out running them. I too feel bad for the Williams kid, he had his hands on the game winning INT and couldnt hold on. I do believe if Athens would have won the game and not a word would have been said about officials. It is tough to lose that way but the kids from Athens will understand years from now when they look back just how much they accomplished.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i'll say one thing about ironton football. you see how hard it is now to get to one of these and win it, ref. Athens.
ironton has won 2 and been to so many more. their schedules have been amazing all through the years of ironton football. and we were blessed enough to see that in our own backyards there in ironton. it was huge then, and it's huge now.and we played any and everybody. I remember hanging 50/60 points on Athens. things have sure changed. but one thing fighting tiger fans can say, and be proud about it, we seen so many amazing games, and state championship games, it was a true blessing.i remember all those years playing in state semi games, and the clock ran out and we'd holler see you in the shoe----------those truly were glory days. and if it never happens again, it was awesome. and we have the facts to prove it.

in closing i'll say who cares that the crowd didn't fill the shoe. we're talking nearly 109,000 seats here. but it is the shoe. in the center of the state , fair travel for any and everybody. the capital of the great state of ohio. the grand cathedral of college football, and the best facilities in the world. they should never be anywhere else. and the excitement of being back, you could just feel it.i remember being there and seeing john cooper and his staff walking back and forth around the field watching the games, and taking notes. I remember earl bruce arriving in a chopper at ironton high school to watch an ironton /cape game. high school football don't get any better than that. if it did , not sure I could take it. ole bait's ticker might just go haywire.we can argue about the private/public thing till the cows come home. we could talked about how consolidation has ruined districts, and how it has created giants. but it sure is great to see. take nothing from ironton's current staff or players. because they are bringing it again.----------------------but it makes you in awe of the 40 years with coach lutz, like him ------hate him---------he was and still is ohio high school's winningest football coach. he and his great staff had them in these regionals, semi's and state championship games dang near every year. so it's been awesome to witness. say what you will to demean ironton, but they have been there. and this ole tiger fan truly loved last night's game, and I'm recording all of em to watch.i may never delete that Athens game. it was amazing. blessed to be able to see it, thank you jesus. and to those that don't know me much----------I was blind for 3 years from a cornea disease called keratoconus this was in my early 20's.the lord put me in touch with a fabulous surgeon in Lexington ky. by god's grace and the dr's hands through a series of 3 cornea transplants my eyesight was restored. so I don't take watching anything for granted. so thank you coach lutz, n your staff. thank you coach triplett and your staff, and thank you coach vaas for you n your staff. and thank you dear lord for allowing me to see it all.YTB.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I'm really stoked for the future of southern ohio football and dang proud of the Athens bulldogs. for a 1st trip to the shoe dang man, it was a classic.like your coach said to you after the game just let it hurt a little while. because it was awesome.

niholly
Freshman Team

Post by niholly »

My oh My what a game. They said it right last night that was a game where you hated to see anyone lose. Probably a game that if they played 10 times the series would be 5-5. That TCC line was enormous and proven with the fact they had what over 500 rushing. Did the officiating miss some holds possibly but all in all I thought I was a pretty closely called contest. Only part I questioned and I was yelling at the TV when he kept doing but you can't chase points that early in the game. He got an extra point blocked then they proceeded to go for 2 point conversion on the next 3-4 drives and didn't convert a single one. Could've changed play calling anything really just not a fan of chasing points. Other than that just a tremendous game from both teams, #40 was a man among boys good tough runner coupled with the speed of #1 & #5. These guys really set the bar to start out the state championship games, I know there was a winner and loser there always is. As I turned the TV away from the game I really felt that there truly wasn't a winner nor loser, both teams played their hearts out and were the first game in the shoe since the 80s and to put on a show like they did my oh my what a game it was. INSTANT CLASSIC

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Congrats Athens on an awesome season! Its hard losing in the end, but y'all have accomplished more than any other seo team this season and have nothing to hang your head about!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:
dazed&confused wrote:The true beauty of the game was on display last night. I speak not of the game or the outcome but the honest expression of emotion after the game. Both sides had reason to expect they should have won. Neither team deserved to lose but one had to and unfortunately it was Athens. The tears of disappointment for the Athens players were genuine. Many will never play competitive football again. Such is the nature and the purity of the HS game. They achieved much more than the vast majority of teams and still the reality of the moment registered. In my mind, they are true champions.

what an awesome post.
I hope the city and county of Athens holds a huge pep rally for these players! Well done!

Return to “Football”