D3 State final Athens vs Toledo Central Catholic Thurs 7:30

doubleplay643
S

Re: D3 State final Athens vs Toledo Central Catholic Thurs 7

Post by doubleplay643 »

By far one of the most entertaining High School game I have seen.

What 10-11 lead changes? Crucial, multiple 3rd and 4th down conversions by each team. Both teams featuring their strengths almost at will against the other.

Cinderella Athens having never been there done that and their 40 or so kids against veteran TCC and their 80 or so who has been there and done that (a lot).

Just a great story and an equally great game. Congrats to Athens on a heck of a season.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I think the one thing I was most impressed with was the sportsmanship displayed after most every play. Everyone helping each other off the turf. I know we all watched an outstanding game, but I couldn't help but watch the outstanding kids playing the game. Much respect to all those kid's.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

From a coaches stand point...

Officials never cost a team I coached a game. You could go back through many plays and find missed opportunities. I have traveled and seen 4 of Athens playoff games. In reference to the IP on the final TD, the same could be said for Athens on many of their plays, they are very close to not being set long enough before the snap.

I guarantee, if TCC should have been called for some holding penalties, so should Athens.

On #2 29 yard TD reception on a bubble screen, the WR "could" have been called for OPI on a possible "pick".

We could break down the film position by position and probably find a penalty on every play.

Don't take away from the players and coach's accomplishments by blaming someone else. Athens had opportunities and made many, many outstanding plays during the game. Unfortunately for all of the fans of SEO that were rooting for the Bulldogs, the Irish made one more play.

Like all, my heart is broken for all the Athens faithful, but at the same time, I am jealous I have not been fortunate enough to have the same opportunity. As I watched that game I could hope and dream that one day I will be lucky enough to have the fortune to play in, and compete in a State Championship game. That is what we all lift, practice, break down film, game-plan for.

Bulldogs you accomplished something most of us will only dream about. Hold your heads up, you had a remarkable 3 year run (38-3)!!!! Carry out that hard work you learned in all you do, and you continue to be at the top of every "game" you play making you outstanding husbands, fathers, and workers.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

great season Athens great playoff run lot of records fell this season
Last edited by bengals01 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

Toledo Central Catholic 56, Athens 52

BOX SCORE

WHAT WE LEARNED

http://www.jjhuddle.com/2014/12/05/tole ... ate-final/
Last edited by bengals01 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drunkone
Riding the Bench

Post by drunkone »

LUV YA TCC!

chsballn
Freshman Team

Post by chsballn »

Wow ! That seems to be the only way to describe last nights game. Hat's off to both teams. You had a great season to ride on Athens. Maybe one of the best in SEO history.

If you was looking for a defensive game, you were watching the wrong game. This was two of the best offenses on the field in the same game. Over 1200 yds total. The only game I have seen to recall is U. of Michigan and U. of Illinois about 5 years ago. The only thing that stood out as a game changer was Points on turnovers. When TCC scored after Athens turned one over.

Once again hat's off.

OVCFan2
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan2 »

The best team that SEO has ever seen period. IMO, I do not think we will see a team like that again for at least 30 years .

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Great game if you like offense,not much defense being played.The officials didn't cost Athens the game imo.Both teams got by with stuff that should or should not have been called,off the top of my head I remember an Athens receiver dropping a pass that could have been easily been ruled a fumble and a TCC runner was ruled down on big run but replay showed his knee did not touch,these things even out in most games and these are the best officials in the state.Bottom line is TCC had way more penalties and yardage then Athens did to overcome.Congratulations to the senior class of Athens for a great career and making your community proud!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

One of the best football games I've ever watched. It's a tough loss for Athens, but they have a ton to be proud of and that will sink in after the sting of a close loss starts to fade. Also nice to see the famous 93Bulldog in the 'Shoe last night.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Ultron wrote:The best team that SEO has ever seen period. IMO, I do not think we will see a team like that again for at least 30 years .
as good as they were hard to say that when you have teams down here that have actually won state championships. but I wanted Athens as much as everybody did, but you have ironton, burg, and ny with state titles,

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

I also agree ATHENS was awesome, but not 30 years "the best ever to have been & the best ever to be" ever again!
They had one heckuva stud in Mr. Football. Although I thought NO-WAY, will anyone out score them. They just didn't have it on both sides of the ball when facing an equally good offensive foe!
In any game they had a good opponent DeSales & TCC especially, & Steubenville( not nearly as strong as DeSales & TCC),
They had no defense & were vulnerable to a good offense. In this case, I think a defense was needed to secure the perfect season & that dream of the State Champion!!!! Given that, I might agree with a "best ever & will be" statement for a few years statemen.
No disrespect. That's just one heckuva statement to back-up & defensively, they were lacking in games I pointed out!

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

It's a shame that such a great game is now being ruined by people me crying about the officials. Stop blaming someone else. Blame you defense or special teams whis cost them 4 points but stop blaming the officials. This was by far one of the best games ever focus on that.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

I would like to know where I could purchase a video replay of this game.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

athens78 wrote:Glad I finally went to a game. First in years. State runner up in Athens this year, State runner up in Trimble last year and State Champion in Eastern girls basketball last year. Not to shabby SE Ohio
Well there you go athens78. All year you were trashing Athens fans about how they should be embarrassed for not supporting the team
How the stands at home games were half full and so on so on . And you weren’t even at the games. I’m not believing you were at this game.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

I have a perspective on this game that no one else has mentioned. Many coaches mention the importance of special teams. Both teams scored eight TD's, the four point difference came from special teams. If the special teams were equal, those two teams may still be playing in OT. I am not trying to single one player out, the difference was the XP team.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:i'll say one thing about ironton football. you see how hard it is now to get to one of these and win it, ref. Athens.
ironton has won 2 and been to so many more. their schedules have been amazing all through the years of ironton football. and we were blessed enough to see that in our own backyards there in ironton. it was huge then, and it's huge now.and we played any and everybody. I remember hanging 50/60 points on Athens. things have sure changed. but one thing fighting tiger fans can say, and be proud about it, we seen so many amazing games, and state championship games, it was a true blessing.i remember all those years playing in state semi games, and the clock ran out and we'd holler see you in the shoe----------those truly were glory days. and if it never happens again, it was awesome. and we have the facts to prove it.

in closing i'll say who cares that the crowd didn't fill the shoe. we're talking nearly 109,000 seats here. but it is the shoe. in the center of the state , fair travel for any and everybody. the capital of the great state of ohio. the grand cathedral of college football, and the best facilities in the world. they should never be anywhere else. and the excitement of being back, you could just feel it.i remember being there and seeing john cooper and his staff walking back and forth around the field watching the games, and taking notes. I remember earl bruce arriving in a chopper at ironton high school to watch an ironton /cape game. high school football don't get any better than that. if it did , not sure I could take it. ole bait's ticker might just go haywire.we can argue about the private/public thing till the cows come home. we could talked about how consolidation has ruined districts, and how it has created giants. but it sure is great to see. take nothing from ironton's current staff or players. because they are bringing it again.----------------------but it makes you in awe of the 40 years with coach lutz, like him ------hate him---------he was and still is ohio high school's winningest football coach. he and his great staff had them in these regionals, semi's and state championship games dang near every year. so it's been awesome to witness. say what you will to demean ironton, but they have been there. and this ole tiger fan truly loved last night's game, and I'm recording all of em to watch.i may never delete that Athens game. it was amazing. blessed to be able to see it, thank you jesus. and to those that don't know me much----------I was blind for 3 years from a cornea disease called keratoconus this was in my early 20's.the lord put me in touch with a fabulous surgeon in Lexington ky. by god's grace and the dr's hands through a series of 3 cornea transplants my eyesight was restored. so I don't take watching anything for granted. so thank you coach lutz, n your staff. thank you coach triplett and your staff, and thank you coach vaas for you n your staff. and thank you dear lord for allowing me to see it all.YTB.
Quit making everything about Ironton!!

Dear Lord............

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

After watching this game, and being emotionally drained by it lol, I decided to wait a few days before I said anything about it.........

This is my perspective of the game and this teams effort.

What I witnessed Thursday night at the Shoe was nothing short of amazing. Athens walked into Ohio Stadium amongst ten thousand people and put on a show. I could talk about what they should have or could have done to win, but after what I saw I think it would just be disrespectful to do so.........

Athens played 4 quarters of great football against a very very good TCC. Those younger gave everything they had. They left it all on the field. My heart still aches for them. That being said, they have nothing to be ashamed of. They made Athens county, the TVC, and Southeastern Ohio very proud. I will never forget the night the Dawgs went blow for blow with Toledo Central Catholic.

THANK YOU BULLDOGS!!!
Congratulations to the 2014 Division 3 State Runner ups!

gobengals
Waterboy

Post by gobengals »

There have been several comments made about the officiating of this game. As an official myself, I have a few observations to share. I have been an official for 18 years and work the referee (white hat) position.

Holding can be called on nearly every single play during a game. We officials are taught to call holding only when the offending team gains an advantage from committing the foul. Most holding is, therefore, ignored because there is no advantage gained. It is a judgment call, of course, and yes the judgment is incorrect at times. Also, keep in mind that there are only five officials on the field and we have to monitor 22 players at a time. If we don't see it we can't call it. Our primary focus is at the point of attack. But even then, there are usually 4 to 8 players involved at the point of attack. Bottom line is: holding is often a very difficult penalty to call. It is not always obvious at full speed, up close and without the advantage of having the TV view with replays and slow motion.

I watched the Athens game and I had no issues with the overall performance of the officiating crew. And I watch the officials on every single play instead of watching the players. Yes I thought they missed a few calls - that happens in every single game by every officiating crew. But overall, these missed calls had no effect on the outcome of the game in my opinion.

Just my two cents.

Return to “Football”