D6 State Semifinal Valley vs Kirtland

lineman7
All Conference

Re: D6 State Semifinal Valley vs Kirtland

Post by lineman7 »

Brown is only 6'3? he looks WAY taller than Rolfe but maybe that is just perception then... my point stands... both corners are big and are willing to stick their noses in to make tackles

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

lineman7 wrote:Brown is only 6'3? he looks WAY taller than Rolfe but maybe that is just perception then... my point stands... both corners are big and are willing to stick their noses in to make tackles
Yeah. He is 6`3" but he plays big
Last edited by nutronron2012 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I see. Just didn't understand that part.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

lineman7 wrote:I have watched Kirtland two of the times they have been completely stopped and another where they were not. I also watch the state finals every year.

The key for Valley's defense will be stopping Kirtland from running between the tackles. This is the key, forcing Kirtland to go outside greatly increases the chances for turnovers and negative plays and plays into a strength of Valley's team (namely their corners are big (6'5 and 6'3) and are good run stoppers. Penetration in the middle absolutely kills Kirtland and the times I saw them get slowed down they got frustrated quickly and had multiple personal fouls and poor body language during the game. The same kind of talk about this game went on when Coldwater played them two years ago, everyone said that Coldwater had no chance because Kirtland had just whipped them the last year, they had the D1 tailback, an unstoppable offense and they rolled through their opponents all year. Coldwater whipped them up front, specifically between the tackles and scored just enough to win.

Kirtland looks more ordinary on offense this year, but they depend less on star players and more on a team effort which is probably a good thing.

The offense on this Valley team is significantly better than that Coldwater team, but Valley's defense will the reason Valley wins or loses this game.

Goals for Valley to win:

1. no turnovers
2. stop the run between the tackles
3. don't miss tackles or give up big plays
4. force negative plays/turnovers to stop long drives
5. Keep Kirtland under 24 points
Here a response to your post from a Kirtland fan on another site.

I agree with all of the above 5 points except for the last one.

Here are my responses to the poster's comments:

1. The key to stopping Kirtland is between the tackles. Agreed. If Valley can prevent Kirtland from getting 3 or more yards per crack, Valley will have a chance to pull off the upset, but Valley will need many, many other things to also go their way, including many Kirtland turnovers and penalties which, with Kirtland's low risk, run-oriented offense, is not likely.

2. Forcing Kirtland to run outside will increase the chance for turnovers and negative plays You'll have to explain that one. Kirtland's RB (Boyd) does most of his damage around the ends (he has 1,500 yards rushing this year, many of his yards coming on break away runs around the ends), and if your outside corners miss a one-on-one tackle, it's off to the races for Boyd. Skiljan also burned Loudonville for over 100 yards rushing and two TDs on outside runs. If Valley's corners can make one-on-one tackles all night long, you will succeed in stopping Kirtland's runners on the edges, which no team, including a stout Loudonville defense, was capable of doing. I'll be the first to congratulate Valley if they stuff Kirtland's running attack.

3. Penetration in the middle absolutely kills Kirtland and the times I saw them get slowed down they got frustrated quickly and had multiple personal fouls and poor body language during the game. I've been to every Kirtland game for the past five years, and for the life of me, I can't remember a single game in which Kirtland "got frustrated quickly" and "had multiple personal fouls" and "poor body language." Is the poster sure that he wasn't referring to a different team and game??? In probably the best example that refutes that poster's claims, in the 2012 Regional final game against Ursuline, Kirtland was down 24-0 at halftime, and Kirtland didn't commit a bunch of personal fouls, get frustrated, abandon its running game or quit. They came back in the second half to beat a bigger and more talented Ursuline team 38-37. URSULINE was the team got called for several personal fouls and had bad body language in the second half of that game because they thought that they had the game won in the first half. The Hornets don't hang their heads, commit personal fouls or get frustrated easily, and they sure won't quit, but if that makes you feel better to believe that or to make Valley fans believe that, go ahead. Kirtland has been down a few times against teams the past few years, but none of the stuff that you claim ever happened in any of the games in which Kirltand trailed. One thing is for sure, if Valley manages to get a lead in this game, I'd wait until the final whistle before celebrating. Kirtland will just keep attacking you until they wear you down.

4. The same kind of talk about this game went on when Coldwater played them two years ago, everyone said that Coldwater had no chance because Kirtland had just whipped them the last year. Baloney!!! I don't recall that talk at all!! Coldwater and Kirtland were both undefeated that year, and Kirtland knew that it would be in for a fight. However, your comparison of Valley to Coldwater is insulting to Coldwater. Apples and oranges. Sorry. The Coldwater team that narrowly beat Kirtland 10-9 in the 2012 Championship game was 64-8, and 15-0 in 2012. If the current year Valley team is anywhere near as as good as the 2012 Coldwater team, then Kirtland is in serious trouble, but you're going to have to prove that to me.

5. Keep Kirtland under 24 points. You are only half correct, and that's only half of the battle. In addition to holding Kirtland to 24 points, Valley has to score more than 24 points against Kirtland's stingy defense for Valley to win. Kirtland's defense has given up an average of only 8.3 points per game this season, and 14 points (with 7 coming in garbage time) by Loudonville in the Regional final game. Loudonville was averaging over 49 points per game before the Kirtland game.

6. The offense on this Valley team is significantly better than that Coldwater team, but Valley's defense will the reason Valley wins or loses this game. I'm going to have to throw a flag on that comment as being personally offensive!! Wow, are you kidding?? I certainly hope so. I can only say that we'll see on Friday night how good Valley's offense is, but it sure isn't better than Coldwater's 2012 offense!! Kirtland and Coldwater each had outstanding defenses that explains the 10-9 score in that game, however, during the regular season Coldwater averaged 36 points in 2012 against very difficult opponents -- against better opponents than those faced by Valley this year. Loudonville averaged over 49 points per game this year against very difficult opponents -- far stronger opponents than those played by Valley this year. Valley averaged 32.8 points against average and two very good opponents. Kirtland just held Loudonville to 14 points. There are more than a couple of flaws with your hypothesis.

The comment that I take most offense with is the poor sportsmanship/personal fouls accusation against Kirtland. Ask that poster to provide proof of that outrageous claim. In what game or parallel universe did Kirtland ever get called for multiple personal foul penalties when trailing in a game??

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

I am talking about the Kirtland-Coldwater game from 2 years ago, if you don't believe me just watch it... It should be on the internet somewhere. I had no rooting interest in the game at the time, just reporting what I saw about Kirtland's demeanor and actions

Coldwater's offense that year was very dependent on turnovers from their extremely talented defense to score. When teams didn't turn it over they didn't score on long drives (I watched 4-5 games of Coldwater that year as I lived in the area). Valley's offense scores from anywhere on the field and on long drives... Valley has not depended on turnovers to score all year, their offense is just outstanding. If Valley doesn't score at least 24 then they will lose, period.

I stand by my point that Valley must stop the run between the tackles to have a chance. Defensive strength is always from the middle out and against a team as skilled as Kirtland that is 10x more important. If Valley's corners do not tackle on the outside then Valley will lose big time, but again the corners have been a strength for Valley all year.

This Valley team is 46-5 for the senior class (which only has 2 starters, the rest of juniors and soph.)

My goals for Valley to win are what VALLEY has to do to win, I don't know what Kirtland needs to to do win. So in closing... if Valley stops the run in the middle and controls the outside, forces negative plays and turnovers, hold Kirtland to less than 24 they will have a good chance to win.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:everybody for the most part though Hartley would blow out the burg too across the state. look what happened, it took overtime.
Hartley was bigger, stronger and faster than burg. If it wasn't for some bad coaching decisions than burg would have joined valley in the state semi finals. Three times in OT the burg coaches called a run and all three times it was stopped. Why in the world they called a run play on 4th down knowing they were stopped the first three times is beyond me

This goes out to a friend on FB who has ran his mouth to me the last fees days sayin I'm against valley and I hope they get blasted. A certain poster on here knows who I'm talkin about.

Cal Preps Prediction:

Kirtland 41
Valley 19

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

MADD dogg. That was the best coached game I've ever seen at burg. Not all plays work. Remember the pass interference call? If that ball wasn't tipped. We probably are talking about a state semi game. But this is a valley thread. State awaits. Go Indians.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I'm with you lineman. Very tall task for valley. If I was valley. I'd bring every trick out of the play book.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

Mad_Dogg wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:everybody for the most part though Hartley would blow out the burg too across the state. look what happened, it took overtime.
Hartley was bigger, stronger and faster than burg. If it wasn't for some bad coaching decisions than burg would have joined valley in the state semi finals. Three times in OT the burg coaches called a run and all three times it was stopped. Why in the world they called a run play on 4th down knowing they were stopped the first three times is beyond me

This goes out to a friend on FB who has ran his mouth to me the last fees days sayin I'm against valley and I hope they get blasted. A certain poster on here knows who I'm talkin about.

Cal Preps Prediction:

Kirtland 41
Valley 19
It's a game, nothing more and nothing less. It's nothing to lose sleep over let alone friendships. I'm sure there were plenty of county fans wanting to see the Burg take a beat down last week. It is what it is. Those respecting the game, the effort and the commitment also respect the kids playing. It's about the kids. It's always about the kids.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Mad_Dogg wrote:

Cal Preps Prediction:

Kirtland 41
Valley 19
:lol:

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

First, Congrats to the entire Valley community! You are playing on Thanksgiving weekend! That is a tremendous accomplishment! It has been a long time since a Scioto Co. team has been playing on Thanksgiving weekend.

Yes, it will be a tall task for the Valley Indians to get to the state championship game but if any program can pull off this big of upset it would be Valley. Nobody thought they would be in this situation to begin with. They continue to display the character and toughness that Coach Crabtree has instilled in them. It will take a couple breaks and maybe a turnover to go their way in order to win but it can happen! They have the chance and that is what you want ..... "A Chance!"

I am sure the SOC and all of southern Ohio will be pulling for you. SEOP fans always talk about supporting other southern Ohio teams, well the chance to do that is finally here. I am sure there will be a great crowd on hand to support the Indians! Roll Tribe!

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

BB #26 wrote:First, Congrats to the entire Valley community! You are playing on Thanksgiving weekend! That is a tremendous accomplishment! It has been a long time since a Scioto Co. team has been playing on Thanksgiving weekend.

Yes, it will be a tall task for the Valley Indians to get to the state championship game but if any program can pull off this big of upset it would be Valley. Nobody thought they would be in this situation to begin with. They continue to display the character and toughness that Coach Crabtree has instilled in them. It will take a couple breaks and maybe a turnover to go their way in order to win but it can happen! They have the chance and that is what you want ..... "A Chance!"

I am sure the SOC and all of southern Ohio will be pulling for you. SEOP fans always talk about supporting other southern Ohio teams, well the chance to do that is finally here. I am sure there will be a great crowd on hand to support the Indians! Roll Tribe!
Awesome post. This pretty much sums it up :aaaaa56

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

VSN will be doing a live audio broadcast for the game tomorrow against Kirtland. Airtime planned to start at 7:15 kick off is at 7:30. So if you can't make it tune in @ http://www.highschoolcube.com/event/var ... net-414855

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Good luck to the Valley Indians. To get to play in semi finals is a great accomplishment. Great job! Play smart play hard and represent the SOC 2 and southern ohio. Play your hearts out and leave it all on the field. GO INDIANS.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Gameday!!!

Best of luck to our Indians tonight!! Go out and play Valley football for 4 quarters and lets see where the chips fall after 48. To be the best, youve gotta beat the best...and you get that chance tonight. Go out and take it!! PLAY PHYSICAL AND SET THE TONE FROM THE ONSET.

ROLL TRIBE!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Good Luck Valley!!!

piratepride86
JV Team

Post by piratepride86 »

Go Valley

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Best wishes to the Indians tonight. Prove them wrong fellas.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

OLE BAIT WANTS TO WISH THE VALLEY INDIANS GOOD LUCK, PROUD OF YA'LL.

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

Good luck Valley!!!!

Return to “Football”