WELLSTON ROCKETS FOOTBALL PROGRAM

cgqb5
Waterboy

WELLSTON ROCKETS FOOTBALL PROGRAM

Post by cgqb5 »

Just would like to say this! Wellston does very well with what they have here.
Starting off I want to say hats off to our coaches.
This staff is very limited in several areas.
We have a facility here where you have to practice on your playing field because are practice field isn't in no kind of shape to be on.
Another thing is that Wellston only has one paid assistant job for coaches.
Wellston should be thankful that these coaches are kind enough to volunteer their time here for are student athletes.
Is this going on anywhere else in the state? I DOUBT IT!!
Lots of talk about new coach coming in for next season!
That is foolish.... What's really wrong is this administration that Wellston has!
The school board should not be allowing are super to cut these paid positions out...
Are volunteers have to even pay for all their certifications to be able to volunteer here!
If there is any change it should start with the administration... NOT ARE COACHES!!
LET'S JUST SAY THIS ARE SUPER TELLS THIS SCHOOL BOARD WHAT TO DO!!
IM TIRED OF HEARING THAT WELLSTON DOESN'T HAVE THE FUNDS!!
I CAN JUST KEEP GOING AND GOING,BUT I LEAVE IT AT THIS FOR NOW!
THANK YOU WELLSTON COACHES!! LOTS OF KIDS ON THE TEAM LOOK UP TO YOU!!!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: WELLSTON ROCKETS FOOTBALL PROGRAM

Post by Orange and Brown »

*OUR*

TigerBacker#1
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerBacker#1 »

In defense of this staff and any other staff Wellston will ever have paid or not, the Rockets are saddled with beginning each season 0-1. Yes i know Wellston wins once every 20 years. This is so unfair to the kids and staff. Do not tell me about the $$$$$$. I am not buying. Plus there are ways around it. It is called creative thinking. Playing Jackson is easy only for the a d. Wellston therfore has only 9 games to make the playoffs. They also get banged up and lose players as a result of playing Jackson.

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

Where our your boosters?
Why ourn't your boosters paying the fees?
Sounds like to me that the community has dropped the ball
O ye just replace are for the our.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

I was gonna not say anything cause I have no idea what goes on in Wellston, but what kind of Booster support do you have down their?
Also, if you can put more butts in the seats you would bring in a few more bucks during the season.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Does nelsonville York have a football support Group? Being serious by the way lol

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

The Wellston football program does well considering what they have to work with. The district won't provide any $$$ for coaches and they have the annual loss to Jackson to deal with. It's simply not fair to the kids of Wellston! I truly feel sorry for them and I hope that something gets resolved soon in Wellston.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

toldya wrote:In defense of this staff and any other staff Wellston will ever have paid or not, the Rockets are saddled with beginning each season 0-1. Yes i know Wellston wins once every 20 years. This is so unfair to the kids and staff. Do not tell me about the $$$$$$. I am not buying. Plus there are ways around it. It is called creative thinking. Playing Jackson is easy only for the a d. Wellston therfore has only 9 games to make the playoffs. They also get banged up and lose players as a result of playing Jackson.
I couldn't agree more! Make Wellston vs. Jackson the jamboree game and the problem is solved. It's not that difficult!

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

Don't have a single horse in this race. I have had some conversation on here with Wellston posters, in particular Boilermaker and appreciate their insight and passion for their team. So, the Super can only recommend changes and cuts to the board. The board and probably the teachers union have to agree with cuts. I don't think the Super can just say we are cutting coaches salaries and it is a done deal. So the complaints about the administration should also be directed to the Board of Education. I do admire the coaches for doing a tough job for no pay at all. 1 paid assistant . . . if the administration and board thinks a coaching change is the answer, what coach in his right mind will want a job under those circumstances? As for the team itself, in almost every game you see penalties and turnovers as the main reason for most loses. Coaching can eliminate some of those problems and it doesn't take a coaches salary or $$$ from the boosters to solve those problems. The numbers for the team are also very low. I am sure Trimble has $$$$ problems in their district and their numbers and team success is very good. I hope the people in Wellston get is figured out. I have attended the Wellston/Jackson game for 5 of the last 6 years. The atmosphere at the game is great. Good luck to all.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Viking96 wrote:Does nelsonville York have a football support Group? Being serious by the way lol
Yes, the NY Athletic Boosters provides funding for NY Athletics, including spearheading the renovations of all athletic facilities at NY.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

The word "Program" is the key word in the topic. How do you create a program, what is a program, and more importantly how do you sustain a program.

Every once in a great while you have a run of athletes that end up being born with a couple years of each other and they all attend the same school. But let's just admit right now that by and large this is the exception and not the rule.

I am going to use a couple examples here and before anyone thinks I am promoting Jackson or whatever, that is not the case.

About 25 years ago we had a man by the name of Mr. Jim Humphreys come to Jackson (we are fortunate he landed here) and start a youth program that ran under his direction for I think 22 or 23 some years. It consisted of upwards of 80 youth at times and was ran like a military operation under his direction. It was his way or the highway. It was consistent. It was competitive and it created buzz. Was Jackson a football school prior to this youth league, why of course. But teaching kids consistent technique, fundamentals, and the desire to work hard and follow instruction has paid off I think greatly in the years that followed and think to some extent we see the pay-off of that every year. Some years we may be 5-5 or 6-4. But there is a lot of 8-2, 9-1, and hopefully a few 10-0 in there as well. We have had consistent coaching and instruction for the most part in the junior high and varsity levels as well. Very little turnover relatively speaking.

Baseball about 10 years ago there have been a 8-9 dads that have been involved in a lot of different leagues from Jackson, to Chillicothe, to Columbus and travel, and I think those results will pay off for years to come.

The basketball effort at the youth level is now underway, will it pay off next year? No. Will it pay off in 4-5 years? Most likely. Will it pay off in 8-10 years if it is consistent? Absolutely.

So my point here is what a lot of you are eluding to: consistent involvement and teaching at the youth level (not just being worried about your kid but everyone's kid); consistent coaching through the middle and high school ranks, and support groups that do whatever it takes to raise the money for that program.

This is not about Jackson, it is a Wellston thread. But the word "Program" means a lot. It means support from youth through varsity, even when the team are not good. I flat out guarantee the people involved in the Jackson basketball effort will not stop or slow down even though this year the varsity may struggle.

So my input here lol (this and a buck get you a Speedway small coffee) is be consistent, be inclusive of a lot of kids not just your own, and hire quality people and support the heck out of them and maintain that support in years of success or failure. It may not be your son or daughters class that is the beneficiary of it, but it will happen. I have seen it and I know it is a recipe that will work. Keep in mind "program" and know there is no easy button.

Good luck, I think your team is filled with good players and wish the best of luck to our county rivals.

Old*rocket
JV Team

Post by Old*rocket »

Really don't think u can consider wellston as having a football program. It takes the know how of getting kids to come out to play. The numbers haven't been good sense Lucas and Hinton were coaches. When u don't have enough kids to practice against each other it makes for a long season. Go back and look at those years 45-50 kids compared to now and the record shows the difference. Being a winning program is what fills the stands on Friday nights.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

From an outsider looking in perspective.........

Every year everyone gets all pumped up with expectations that are too high, then you get thumped by Jackson and everyonedeclares the season is over, and that Wellston is still really young and NEXT year it will be different. This cycle happens year after year.

1.You guys need realistic expectations
2. Get Jackson off the schedule
3. Be realistic about how much success you will have
4. Make football fun for your kids

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Orange and Brown wrote:From an outsider looking in perspective.........

Every year everyone gets all pumped up with expectations that are too high, then you get thumped by Jackson and everyonedeclares the season is over, and that Wellston is still really young and NEXT year it will be different. This cycle happens year after year.

1.You guys need realistic expectations
2. Get Jackson off the schedule
3. Be realistic about how much success you will have
4. Make football fun for your kids
5 wins since 1968 (with 3 of them coming in the late 80's grouped together as I recall) tells me it may be time for everyone to re-think Week 1. A lot of people including myself would hate to see it end, but objectively it is hard to justify if you are a Rocket fan.

PIGSKIN
Freshman Team

Post by PIGSKIN »

Wellston football will be gone in 10 years without Jackson game. No way I see the Wellston community picking up the differnce in the gate lose by the team that replaces Jackson.

IRONMENFAN
Freshman Team

Post by IRONMENFAN »

Community support in wellston is a huge problem for this program.

thechosenone
Varsity

Post by thechosenone »

It is said year after year but wellston is young this year. their qb is junior and if im not mistakin both backs aare sophmores and i believe like 7 seniors all together. so they should be ok for the next few years i mean they did play jackson good through half time. and barely lost to a good NY team at that age so they should be ok.

WITH that being said it may be time for a small change people was all rahhhhh rahhhh cause one of their sons (hutch) was coming home and he just cant get the job done

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Why is it every year there is a post or posts a long this subject. Why is it that V.C. has 1 win after coming off a much improved year and you don't see posts from their community similar to this one and the one's in the past about Wellston. A lot of you guys need to freaking wake up. Wellston has never been a power house football program. They have always been a .500 team at best. Yes they have had a lot of good players come through, but they have never been a winning program consistently. They have went through many coaching staffs but things never seem to change as far as being a consistent tvc contender. The biggest problem through the years and different coach's is the community support. One thing goes wrong people want a change. One thing goes wrong and people want to post this crap on social media. It happens every year. How about going to the field house and offering to volunteer some time to help out with the little league or the boosters. A new coach every 3 years isn't going to change a thing if the surrounding are not willing to help or change for the better as well. Wellston athletics, especially football, is in bad shape and it goes beyond the coaching staff.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Blue Duck wrote:Why is it every year there is a post or posts a long this subject. Why is it that V.C. has 1 win after coming off a much improved year and you don't see posts from their community similar to this one and the one's in the past about Wellston. A lot of you guys need to freaking wake up. Wellston has never been a power house football program. They have always been a .500 team at best. Yes they have had a lot of good players come through, but they have never been a winning program consistently. They have went through many coaching staffs but things never seem to change as far as being a consistent tvc contender. The biggest problem through the years and different coach's is the community support. One thing goes wrong people want a change. One thing goes wrong and people want to post this crap on social media. It happens every year. How about going to the field house and offering to volunteer some time to help out with the little league or the boosters. A new coach every 3 years isn't going to change a thing if the surrounding are not willing to help or change for the better as well. Wellston athletics, especially football, is in bad shape and it goes beyond the coaching staff.

I don't think anyone is blaming the coaching staff..... One post maybe, but I think most folks feel the same way you do.

Your upset because someone started a thread to talk about the same things you just brought up.

JacksonI
Freshman Team

Post by JacksonI »

Pointing fingers saying that playing Jackson week 1 every year has a negative impact on your "program". Let's be realistic, playing Jackson week 1 doesn't harm your "program" at all and it doesn't necessarily have a negative impact towards the kids or the rest of the season. There's no reason that Wellston couldn't have gone 9-1 this year, even with the loss to Jackson. If that WAS the case, you wouldn't hear a word out of anyone about Jackson having a negative impact on your program. Rather than you'd hear goals set to be a 10-0 team. I'm from Jackson but this has isn't a rivalry matter. I wish someone would sit down with the exact number and show everyone how much money the Wellston vs Jackson brings into the community. And that's for both sides because at the end of the day its Jackson County as a whole community. I think rather than pointing fingers at the week 1 opponent the focus should be primarily focused on getting more kids involved in your program and building it. Again, I didn't post this out of the "rivalry" I'm just being honest and stating my opinion. If you want to build a successful program you need numbers..And that's players, coaches, funds, and facilities. Getting the community involved can really build a program.

Return to “Football”