Athens @ Meigs

athens78
All State

Athens @ Meigs

Post by athens78 »

Didn't see anything on this so I'm assuming most of my fellow Athens fans doesn't think its worthy. They are probably right. Meigs with only 3 wins and 2 of those against 0-6 teams I pretty sure this will be another running clock in the second half.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens @ Meigs

Post by 93Bulldog »

athens78 wrote:Didn't see anything on this so I'm assuming most of my fellow Athens fans doesn't think its worthy. They are probably right. Meigs with only 3 wins and 2 of those against 0-6 teams I pretty sure this will be another running clock in the second half.
For an Athens fan - you sure do give the Bulldogs a lot of grief.

Just sayin

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens huge. What happened to meigs? I thought they were supposed to be better than last years team

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Athens hung 58 on the Big Red @ Steubenville last week.

Imagine what they could do to Meigs if they played their starters all 4 quarters again this week.

Good luck and good health to both teams.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Athens by a bunch.

Hope for an injury free game for both teams.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

What's the point of posting about Athens games ? Maybe you should just post threads asking how many points get will have by halftime.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

This is going to be bad... Hope for an injury free game

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Name you score! Mercy game after 1st quarter!

Green Beagle
JV Team

Post by Green Beagle »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Athens huge. What happened to meigs? I thought they were supposed to be better than last years team
was wondering the same thing. With players suspended the 8th grade team disbanded for hazing what in the wide wide world of sports is going on with the Meigs football program? I know this was one of the most respected programs in the state under chancey.. Has that much changed in 3 years? Athens this week and Ironton next. May be a tough couple fridays.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Wow didn't hear that. You would think an ex-pro player would have a better hold on his program from Jr. high through high school. Your right they were tough under Chancey.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

No grief just stating the obvious, just saying.

OVCFan2
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan2 »

What is the story on the 8th grade team? Meigs looks like a program that is in disarray. Just because you were a pro doesn't mean that you can coach young men IMO.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

If the team's season is suspended for hazing? That shows me that he is "Getting a handle on the program". I'm not seeing the disarray in the program---they may not have the number of wins that some predicted but doesn't that happen to all coaches if they hang around long enough?

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

He's been around what 2 years as coach? maybe 3? I'm sure the administration and board suspended the season.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

JUST PRAY FOR A SAFE , INJURY FREE GAME. ATHENS BY AS MUCH AS THEY WANT.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

athens78 wrote:Wow didn't hear that. You would think an ex-pro player would have a better hold on his program from Jr. high through high school. Your right they were tough under Chancey.
He has no say in what goes on at the Jr high. The Jr high coaches are responsible for what happens at the Jr high.

OVCFan2
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan2 »

^ That is ridiculous. He is the head coach of the Meig's football program. If he does not have a say in the JR high program than that is the problem. He just have a hand in the scheme and the philosophy. What is the point of a JR high program, if you are not preparing them for the varsity level? Otherwise, you will have to start from scratch when they are freshman. Does anyone wonder why Jackson's varsity team is typically competitive every single year? It is because the pee wee and jr high programs are running plays and formations that they will run when they get to high school. Anyone that thinks the JR high should be different than the high school level obviously does not know how to run a program IMO. He should have a say on who is hired at the JR. high level

redrocket
Riding the Bench
Location: Along the river where the shotgun protects my humble abode 4 notes a week. You guess which four.

Post by redrocket »

Ultron, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I will tell you it is much better to fit an offense and defense to your players and not to try to fit your players to an offense and defense. Why try and run something if you don't have the personal to run it. Example, I watched Amyx at Logan have winners running a two tight end power I ( being old school this brought a smile to this old'pharts heart), then a few years later running a one back spread offense. So unless you have the same kind of kids in your Jr. High as you do in your Sr. High, why run the high schools stuff.

Purple&Yellow Pride
Freshman Team

Post by Purple&Yellow Pride »

redrocket wrote:Ultron, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I will tell you it is much better to fit an offense and defense to your players and not to try to fit your players to an offense and defense. Why try and run something if you don't have the personal to run it. Example, I watched Amyx at Logan have winners running a two tight end power I ( being old school this brought a smile to this old'pharts heart), then a few years later running a one back spread offense. So unless you have the same kind of kids in your Jr. High as you do in your Sr. High, why run the high schools stuff.
We usually didnt always run the varsity offense at Southern JH but we incorporated the same drills and fundamentals. For example, booby blocking is something we were taught long ago by the line coach that worked under just about every head coach in school history. From watching them play, it looks like they are still using it.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

redrocket wrote:Ultron, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I will tell you it is much better to fit an offense and defense to your players and not to try to fit your players to an offense and defense. Why try and run something if you don't have the personal to run it. Example, I watched Amyx at Logan have winners running a two tight end power I ( being old school this brought a smile to this old'pharts heart), then a few years later running a one back spread offense. So unless you have the same kind of kids in your Jr. High as you do in your Sr. High, why run the high schools stuff.

I can only speak on my experience of Jackson's program . The peewee and junior high do not run a carbon copy of the high schools offenses or defenses. Those are determined by the players on the team. Some teams may have super speed, some may have a QB with a cannon, some may be power running teams ECT. However all Ironmen at every level are expected to block , tackle , and play hard. Some classes may be special and you go 9-1 or 10-0 or some times you have a 5-5 season. Either way the program goes about its business the same way.

Return to “Football”