Post by tigerpower89 »

Thoughts on this game
WK 1 Ironton 42-16 Loss to Burg
while Russell defeated Greenup Co 22-15

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: Wk 2 (0-1) Ironton @ (1-0) Russell Ky

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Ironton in a close one but we better figure something out fast because it doesn't get any easier. We have to many Players playing both ways and their getting wore out, we need to try some other Linemen on Defense to try and keep them fresh for the entire game. We do have some depth so we need to use it and give some of the guys a break from playing both ways or we could end up watching last week repeat itself in several of the games this year. Bigger is not always better, sometimes smaller and quicker is.

Gus
Freshman Team

Post by Gus »

Agree with you!!! The dang on play calling needs to change as well. I know there is someone that call plays better than that!!! Vass is the head coach and he needs to override the play calling if he is not happy with it!!!!

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

He has had the opportunity for 2 years now.With a record of what 10-12 now? To little expectations of him. Too many excuses and too many talented players.Sorry just my opinion. Go Tigers!

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Ironton beats Russell

But I agree it's time to shut up and have some results. A great deal of talent on this Tiger team.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

IRONTON PLAYED A VERY COMPETITIVE FIRST HALF-----and frankly I was pleasantly surprised. but that last scoring drive wheelersburg had before the half we looked gassed.i can't believe they have our front peeling back so quickly on kickoffs, that is something that should have been addressed more. you go no where till you see that ball kicked.i am seeing way too much standing around by lineman , especially offensive lineman. there were times ironton's qb was sacked with 5/6 lineman just standing there.i was very impressed with a lot of the improvising we did on offense, mostly from the qb.i'm very impressed with the young boy. he looks very solid. the running back palladino looked very durable, he can hit the edge quick, and has power.was impressed with 74 on defense , but he was getting through the line and over running plays because he had his head down. our secondary was pourous at best. I was impressed way more offensively than defensively. we stuffed the run pretty well in the first half, but looked like a very tired, poorly conditioned team after the half. wheelersburg had an excellent effort running and passing, and refused to be tackled on many long plays.our tackling just is not there right now.i hope we are tackling in practice right now. the tigers needs their butts ran off Monday. like we used to, and get an attitude. the players are there, no excuses this year. we have to get it done. we have the horses to do it. kudos to burg they have been bringing it to ironton, and are just a more polished determined team right now than the fighting tigers are.-------------------the tigers have the potential to be a very hard team to beat. I'm not going to be pleased with anything less than seeing growth, and maturity, and solid line play. it happened the first half last night. but then-------------well there are 4 quarters in a game and 2 halves.beautiful evening for a game I left a few minutes into the 4th after the interception because our 35th reunion started last night. great to see great crowds on both sides. with football becoming less of a priority in many cities, it's refreshing to see it's alive and well in ironton, and wheelersburg.we have the people and the potential to win a lot of games. but you can't run if you ain't got blocking. and you can be productive on defense with poor tackling and lackluster secondary play.we should have had all this nailed down after 2 scrimmages.congrtulationsto the pirates, in tiger land, great effort as well, but we have some work to do there.YTB

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Ironton gets on track and rolls big in this one!!!

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

Gus wrote:Agree with you!!! The dang on play calling needs to change as well. I know there is someone that call plays better than that!!! Vass is the head coach and he needs to override the play calling if he is not happy with it!!!!

2 runs and a pass , 3 straight runs , were losing (gotta pass now ) = predictable

whats wrong with hey its 1st down lets try screen pass or short pass ??

if we would become unpredictable we would do alot better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

local superstar
All State

Should be a solid win for the Tigers

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

cg-ironton fan wrote:
Gus wrote:Agree with you!!! The dang on play calling needs to change as well. I know there is someone that call plays better than that!!! Vass is the head coach and he needs to override the play calling if he is not happy with it!!!!

2 runs and a pass , 3 straight runs , were losing (gotta pass now ) = predictable

whats wrong with hey its 1st down lets try screen pass or short pass ??

if we would become unpredictable we would do alot better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ironton has never really been unpredictable! Offensively they run right at you, and are usually successfully! One back two back! Maybe a counter off of that but nothing fancy. Ironton tried to air it out last night but just got beat up front. I think the coaches and players see this and will make adjustments. The rushing attack is there! Tighten up the line and the tigers will be a force this season!

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

# 2 alabama total plays 82 = 49 rush (60%) 33 pass (40%)
#5 ohio st total plays 55 = 40 rush (73%) 15 pass (27%)
random team(rice) total plays 66 = 40 rush (61%) 26 pass (39%)

ATHENS total plays 41 = 29rush(70%) 12 pass (30%)
WHEELERSBURG total plays 41 = 32 rush (78%) 9 pass (22%)

IRONTON total plays 56= 46 rush (82%) 10 pass ( 18%)

we used 2 players 63% time and if you remove 2nd string stats the numbers go even higher so as u say GUS the wealth MUST be spread around !!!!

burg spread that wealth very well

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I'd like to think Ironton could win this one. If not, as much as I hate to say it, there's a real chance Ironton goes 0-10 this year.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

*0-9

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Two-way players getting tired is just an excuse. Ironton has always had two-way players and won. It boils down to conditioning and mental strength. You can be in the best condition and still get tired but you can overcome that with mental toughness. You can also be in poor condition and use that as an excuse for poor performance. It depends on the type of players that are on the field. That being said, they can beat Russell. But excuses have no place on the field of play.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

amen trh.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I agree but apparently we don't have as many of those type of Players any more, you have to adjust to what you have now. We have capable Players sitting on the side lines that can play Defense so some of the Offensive Players don't have to play both ways, why not use them? If the OLine is wore out by halftime because they are playing both ways then something has to change, look what happened in the 2nd half against Wheelersburg.

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

ohbuckeye2 wrote:I agree but apparently we don't have as many of those type of Players any more, you have to adjust to what you have now. We have capable Players sitting on the side lines that can play Defense so some of the Offensive Players don't have to play both ways, why not use them? If the OLine is wore out by halftime because they are playing both ways then something has to change, look what happened in the 2nd half against Wheelersburg.
i agree completely , but for some reason this team is afraid to adjust to anything!!! not 1 time was 7 to 8 guys put up front on those onside kicks and this was the easiest adjustment to fix !

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Ironton kids are just to slow!!!!! The reason they are slow they need to push themselves to loose some weight. I did not see a kid on the Burg side that looked like Ironton kids. I am tired of hearing that they had to play both ways. I do agree they may need a break but come on we are just not the Ironton of old. In the past the kids pushed themselves to be better players in the off season. I am sure there is a weight scale in the locker room , start having kids get on it and challenge them to loose weight and be healthier.

This is just not for the good of the team but for the good of the kids themselves when they get older.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

game day wrote:Ironton kids are just to slow!!!!! The reason they are slow they need to push themselves to loose some weight. I did not see a kid on the Burg side that looked like Ironton kids. I am tired of hearing that they had to play both ways. I do agree they may need a break but come on we are just not the Ironton of old. In the past the kids pushed themselves to be better players in the off season. I am sure there is a weight scale in the locker room , start having kids get on it and challenge them to loose weight and be healthier.

This is just not for the good of the team but for the good of the kids themselves when they get older.
Hmmm, the season has started, a little late to try and get into shape now. Big, slow, out of shape = hard to play both ways for an entire game!!!!

I agree, back in the day kids pushed themselves to get better and some kids still do.

All I'm saying is they'er not going to get into shape between now and the next game. So do you keep playing them all both ways until they get into shape and keep getting blown out in the 2nd half or do you use your depth sitting on the side lines to help out? Maybe the parents need to get involved in their kids health during the off season and help them get in/stay in shape and not leave it totaly up to the Coaches to do.

local superstar
All State

Now I have heard every excuse in the book!! Parents need to do the conditioning because they don't know how to conduct it themselves? Unbelievable.

Return to “Football”