A solution to the SEOAL-PVC problem

The Little General
Riding the Bench

A solution to the SEOAL-PVC problem

Post by The Little General »

The TVC doesnt seem to be interested in expanding. Why not merge these two, have two divisions in football and call it a day?

Binary
JV Team

Re: A solution to the SEOAL-PVC problem

Post by Binary »

The Little General wrote:The TVC doesnt seem to be interested in expanding. Why not merge these two, have two divisions in football and call it a day?
The first question to ask is, what is the students per square mile situation in the PVC? Some schools, or a school, in the SEOAL will be interested in the answers to this question before considering a merger. :mrgreen:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

No 1st ...we need to know the the rookie's mentality of sports :lol: :lol: :lol:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I didn't know the PVC had any problems.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Let's see River left the PVC last yr to become an independent. Frontier is within 20 mins of River and could do the same. Buckeye Trail could head off to the small side of the ECOL. Which leaves D7 Caldwell, D6- Fort Frye , Monroe Central, Shenandoah not sure they could compete with SCOL schools. Would need to bring in maybe Barnesville, Marietta , and Meadowbrook for this to work.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

A league of Fort Frye, Marietta, Warren , Belpre , Waterford, Caldwell, Monroe Central, Frontier, and Shenandoah cut in half makes most since for travel. I know Warren would dominate but it be fun. Thing is the PVC is missing a ton of smaller sports such as tennis.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

EaseternDspy, what do you think of this as a new league: Warren, Marietta, Cambridge, Union Local, Meadowbrook, Fort Frye, and Monroe Central. I think the Fort and Monroe can compete in almost all sports, Warren does not have tennis either so Marietta and Cambridge would have to go elsewhere for that. thoughts??

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

looks like a perfect group for Logan, especially Div 7 Caldwell and Div 6 Fort Frye

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Sounds good to me playing better teams would help build a program at Fort Frye in my opinion. Fort Fryes upcoming football schedule is a joke. Also I think Caldwell would beat Logan they are loaded in 2014.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

So, how many of you, besides me, knew that Warren used to be in the PVC/PVL? Back in the mid sixties, they sure were, and left. So, would be interesting if the league would consider them again. Logistically, a long ride from Woodsfield to Veto. If any one would know, I would (of course, unless you know the short cuts........ :-D )

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Way shorter then some of the trips Marietta makes in ECOL and shorter then Warren to Ironton.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

I hope Warren actually stays in the SEOAL, but I will say that I would take Warren to any of these places versus to Portsmouth, which I have done many times. Not that Portsmouth is a bad drive, but 2 hour 30 minutes is a long way to go for a 90 minutes softball game and then return home. I think Woodsfield would be ~1 hour and 40 minutes if I recall. This will never happen, but if the SEOAL disbands it could be an option to pursue for Warren. I think all the teams listed are part of the OVAC except Marietta and Warren.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Steely Dan wrote:So, how many of you, besides me, knew that Warren used to be in the PVC/PVL? Back in the mid sixties, they sure were, and left. So, would be interesting if the league would consider them again. Logistically, a long ride from Woodsfield to Veto. If any one would know, I would (of course, unless you know the short cuts........ :-D )
That is really interesting about Warren. I had never heard that and the Wiki page doesn't have them listed as a former member. Do you know in what sports they competed or how many seasons they were involved? I learned a few months ago on a thread here about Fort Frye's brief existence in the TVC, where they actually bailed before what would have been their first football season in the league, but still had to play that schedule for the next two years (if I recall correctly...and I think they actually would have won the league either one or both of those years based on the results). It is weird to think about what the local landscape might look like today had certain decisions been different so long ago.

Warren's enrollment is declining to the point that it isn't out of the realm of possibilty that they could drop two divisions in the next 8-10 years (which is why I thought they had a remote chance of being accepted into the TVC eventually). Can't imagine they'd want to play Division VII schools on a regular basis, but it certainly opens up some options that one wouldn't have even thought about in the last 20-30 years. What I don't know is what some of the other schools mentioned are doing enrollment-wise. I know Belpre has dropped significantly and probably isn't going to make any great leaps (IMO...some think the new plant will have a positive impact), but what about Fort Frye, Morgan, Monroe Central, etc?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

In last count Fort Frye went from 120 boys to 145 boys. Monroe is close to the same and Shenandoah is dropping a bit at 120ish. Buckeye Trail is getting larger at 140.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye also had a plant close since last count.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

What is silly to me is that Waterford is a Southeast team and Fort Frye is an east team they are 1 mile apart. Beverly ohio is def Southeastern ohio. Also I see the 2 schools combining and having 3 schools all the same size in Fort Frye/Waterford, Marietta , Warren sooner rather then later.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

EasternDspy wrote:What is silly to me is that Waterford is a Southeast team and Fort Frye is an east team they are 1 mile apart. Beverly ohio is def Southeastern ohio. Also I see the 2 schools combining and having 3 schools all the same size in Fort Frye/Waterford, Marietta , Warren sooner rather then later.
The only thing that would happen "sooner" is Fort Frye is forced by the state to close...and that isn't very likely. Waterford does fine on its own and it will be a long time before anyone there willfully discards their identity. If something were to happen to FF, I would imagine the re-districting would send Hackney area to Morgan, Lower Salem area and possibly Lowell to Marietta, and Beverly to Waterford. Again, I don't think this is something imminent, but Fort Frye has had financial problems publically revealed in the past couple of years. I think they'll right that ship.

Of course the sports district is almost entirely based on keeping the teams with their typical regular season opponents (as determined by the league they play in) for the sake of tournament play.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye is doing a lot better then some of these schools in the area plus Fort Frye has way nicer facilities then Waterford.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

LetsGoPSU wrote:looks like a perfect group for Logan, especially Div 7 Caldwell and Div 6 Fort Frye
warrior90 wrote:EaseternDspy, what do you think of this as a new league: Warren, Marietta, Cambridge, Union Local, Meadowbrook, Fort Frye, and Monroe Central. I think the Fort and Monroe can compete in almost all sports, Warren does not have tennis either so Marietta and Cambridge would have to go elsewhere for that. thoughts??
EasternDspy wrote:Sounds good to me playing better teams would help build a program at Fort Frye in my opinion. Fort Fryes upcoming football schedule is a joke. Also I think Caldwell would beat Logan they are loaded in 2014.

Leagues with bigger schools like that would hurt smaller schools like Caldwell and Fort. Caldwell for example is perfectly capable of competing right now for the next few years in boys sports but who knows if that will continue. It cycles at small schools like that. Our football team will be outstanding the next two years but terrible after that. Our baseball team will be the same. Boys basketball looks to be set for quite a awhile but that's if they can keep the coach from going anywhere else. We won't even get started on girls sports right now. I'd rather see the PVC pick up someone like Barnesville or Crooksville, or even Rosecrans who can't compete in the ECOL.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

The PVC teams are all in the OVAC. The can just fold the PVC and still be in the same conference.

Return to “Football”