Scioto Valley Conference

The Narddog
Waterboy

Scioto Valley Conference

Post by The Narddog »

Heard on the street that Waverly and Beaver Eastern were wanting in the league. Would they possible expand to 10 teams?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Scioto Valley Conference

Post by smurray »

Many in the Waverly system have wanted this for some time. It makes much better since than being in the SOC. I hope the talk is correct.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I think if the SVC is willing to expand, you'll see more than just these two schools show interest.

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

If Waverly would leave the SOC, it would be in big trouble. With NW dropping down, what would they do? EVen if the make Oak Hill move up, they still need another team or maybe two.

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

Even though this is an SVC topic... if the SOC II is worried about schools, there is always Portsmouth, to take Waverly's place.

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

JuJuBean wrote:Even though this is an SVC topic... if the SOC II is worried about schools, there is always Portsmouth, to take Waverly's place.
Portsmouth is going to the OVC next season

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

smurray wrote:Many in the Waverly system have wanted this for some time. It makes much better since than being in the SOC. I hope the talk is correct.

Why does it make more sense? I just don't see the benefit and leaving the stability, competition, and gates of that being in the SOC bring.

If Waverly wants out, then fine. We can trade them for Piketon. :122245 :122245

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Crabs brother,

Travel is much better with Westfall being the furthest away with all nice roads.
Westfall, Unioto, Zane Trace, Piketon, Waverly would more than likely make up the big school division in football.
Southeastern, Adena, Paint Valley, Huntington, Eastern small school division.

18 league basketball games with 4 non-league. Waverly would be playing HUGE County rivals Piketon and Eastern twice in basketball with the chance of playing them a 3rd time in the Holiday Classic. I' say the gates for those would surpass anything we've seen in the SOC.

The SVC would be mainly a Ross/Pike County league where Waverly would get much better news coverage than they do now in the Scioto Co. League. Coverage now is nearly non-existent. Waverly currently gets better coverage in the Chillicothe Gazette and WKKJ than they do with Scioto County news media and would even increase if they were in the SVC.

I don't see the "stability" argument and the competition will be just as good. Yes, I believe the SOC was better than the SVC from top to bottom this year but that isn't always the case.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Not to mention an organized JH league. SVC basketball travels very well with the exception of WF. The idea of H/A between Eastern, Waverly and Piketon will definitely improve the athletic department coffers. I have also heard rumors that this will not be the only addition to the SVC.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

bengalfan76 wrote:Not to mention an organized JH league. SVC basketball travels very well with the exception of WF. The idea of H/A between Eastern, Waverly and Piketon will definitely improve the athletic department coffers. I have also heard rumors that this will not be the only addition to the SVC.
What have you heard?

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

The SVC executive committee has agreed to open this for discussion. Nothing has happened yet.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

This discussion by the league executive committee will be very interesting. My biggest question remains, is expansion good for the league? The SVC has remained unchanged since 1986, thats only because Bishop Flaget closed its doors, otherwise no new schools have been added since the early 70's. That means 40 some years this league has existed and is a very well organized league. That should say something about why change now.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I think they would welcome Waverly and Eastern.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

Don't see this happening in the near future. What are the benefits of expansion?

bulldawg22
Freshman Team

Post by bulldawg22 »

Not gonna happen!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

nickle back wrote:Don't see this happening in the near future. What are the benefits of expansion?
If a person with SVC ties can name 3 legit benefits, I'll be shocked.

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

Honestly, they'll probably not just add two teams, but four -- IF they decide to expand at all. Then, expand to two divisions.

And, if you look around the region, there aren't a lot of teams that probably fit the bill (football, wrestling [which I believe is something they want to expand now]).

Jerry Newman
Waterboy

Post by Jerry Newman »

The league is almost perfect the way it is. The only problem is Unioto has become too big for the league. The SVC needs to replace Unioto with Beaver Eastern and it would be perfect again. Unioto should look to join Chillicothe in the SCOL or look to form a new league with some area schools of similar size. Chillicothe, Unioto, Waverly, McClain, Vinton County and Logan Elm would make a nice league.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Using the current boys enrollment the average size for an SVC school is 169 boys. The girls is 168. Unioto is 250 boys (+81) and Paint Valley is 111 (-58) Girls is Unioto 229 (+61) and Paint Valley is (-56)

If you take Unioto out of the equation it becomes an average of 157 and if you drop Paint Valley it becomes 177 for a +20 swing.

If you drop both PV and Unioto out it now becomes a 165 average and the larges gain or drop is (+20 ZT and a -14 Huntington)

There is the problem, PV is shrinking in enrollment and Unioto is adding on to its school because it is growing!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I knew Jerry would be back on the kick Unioto out of the SVC train like normal, but I disagree heavily on who you would add if Unioto leaves. It would have to be Waverly. Waverly is decreasing in size and adds a new natural rivalry.

Return to “Football”