Jared McCray

captain ensano
Waterboy

Jared McCray

Post by captain ensano »

Any word where this fine young man will end up going to school since his decommittment from Louisville? I heard a few big ten schools are interested as well as some MAC schools.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: Jared McCray

Post by 4thgoal »

According to Rivals, he has offers from Akron, Kent State, OU and Cincinnati. If those offers are still on the table, I imagine we will hear something soon.
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... atest_news

captain ensano
Waterboy

Post by captain ensano »

I had heard that the University of Minnesota and Illinois are interested too.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Probably a stupid question but does he still play basketball?

MClaw
Freshman Team

Post by MClaw »

Yes he does.

captain ensano
Waterboy

Post by captain ensano »

He is suppose to be cleared to play in January, atleast, that's what the word was a while back. So, let me ask you all on here this....Where do you think McCray needs to go to get playing time and continue his education?

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Why did he decommit from Louisville?

Jay Bruce
Freshman Team

Post by Jay Bruce »

Read in the paper that it had something to do with Louisville wanting him to grey shirt -- not redshirt, which I believe would put him two years from seeing the field after he graduates high school if he would end up taking a redshirt year the following season.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Personally, I'd like to see him go to a MAC school and have a great shot a getting on the field sooner. He comes from a good family and really seems to have a good head on his shoulders. The Bama household wishes him the very best!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

By all accounts (some very reliable) Jared is an outstanding kid. I understand the thoughts about him possibly going to the MAC and getting to play early, but I have some different opinions.

I am a believer that you go as big as possible and work your tail off. I think that a year or two of playing time at a big school opens a lot more doors than 3 or 4 at a smaller school. I think former players that are liked by fans can set themselves up for life by playing at large school. The contacts made are amazing.

Good luck to Jared in whatever he decides.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Crab's brother wrote:By all accounts (some very reliable) Jared is an outstanding kid. I understand the thoughts about him possibly going to the MAC and getting to play early, but I have some different opinions.

I am a believer that you go as big as possible and work your tail off. I think that a year or two of playing time at a big school opens a lot more doors than 3 or 4 at a smaller school. I think former players that are liked by fans can set themselves up for life by playing at large school. The contacts made are amazing.

That's absolutely insulting to every single person who has ever played in the MAC, Sun Belt, or any other mid-major. The MAC has some quality teams and provides quality experiences from athletics to academics to professional opportunities. And kids in those programs work their tails off as well to be the best that they can be. Bigger is not always better!

That being said, the young man is a quality person and he comes from a quality family, one that values hard work and a good education.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Pol Pot wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:By all accounts (some very reliable) Jared is an outstanding kid. I understand the thoughts about him possibly going to the MAC and getting to play early, but I have some different opinions.

That's absolutely insulting to every single person who has ever played in the MAC, Sun Belt, or any other mid-major. The MAC has some quality teams and provides quality experiences from athletics to academics to professional opportunities. And kids in those programs work their tails off as well to be the best that they can be. Bigger is not always better!

That being said, the young man is a quality person and he comes from a quality family, one that values hard work and a good education.

Nobody should be insulted by anything he said. I agree you shouldnt pass up a big time school. I am guessing the young man from waverly that went to ND then transferred to OU does not regret his decision to give ND a shot. You go big and if it doesnt work out you can always transfer, not to many kids go mid major then transfer to the big time.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Pol Pot wrote:

Not a single utterance was insulting in the least Ta Mok. What a pathetic thing to post! :roll: :roll:
Last edited by The Oaf on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Pol Pot wrote:

What a joke of a post! Not one thing I said was insulting to any MAC, Sun Belt, or smaller school for that matter. There are literally hundreds of thousands of kids that would kill for a shot in any of those conferences.

My only point was that more often than not, chances at bigger schools with bigger alumni networks seem to lead to bigger opportunities. If you don't believe that, then I don't know what to tell you.

In this state, being a Buckeye football player provides opportunities that being an Akron Zip just doesn't.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

I read it a couple days ago and didnt see the slightest slight any where . maybe someone is on their man period ?

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

Pol Pot wrote:

Turrible post. I agree with Crabs 110%. Its actually common sense. Apparently lacking with someone in particular.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

It's not "common sense". Kids that get caught up in a "name" usually pick a school for the wrong reason. But I know you guys know about the college game, recuriting and the like. All Internet experts, thanks for keeping me entertained.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Pol Pot wrote:It's not "common sense". Kids that get caught up in a "name" usually pick a school for the wrong reason. But I know you guys know about the college game, recuriting and the like. All Internet experts, thanks for keeping me entertained.
More rubbish

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Pol Pot wrote:It's not "common sense". Kids that get caught up in a "name" usually pick a school for the wrong reason. But I know you guys know about the college game, recuriting and the like. All Internet experts, thanks for keeping me entertained.
Enlighten us as to your knowledge about the "college game, recuriting (I assume you meant recruiting), and the like''....I am curious.

Dude, my post had nothing to do with recruiting or playing time. I only referenced the opportunities afforded to major college athletes post graduation. I don't know Jared personally. I don't know if he plans to go into medicine, business, teaching, coaching, or the ministry for that matter. That is irrelevant to the discussion we are having and the point I am trying to make. Here is the example I will use:

Jared goes to Central Michigan (just an example). He plays four years, starts his last 3 years and is honorable mention all-MAC as a senior. No NFL combine and his career is over.
Jared goes to Michigan State (again-just an example). He plays four years, earns starting time mid way through his junior year and starts as a senior. No NFL and again, his football career is over.

All things being equal, as in his resume and GPA are the same. This young man applies to jobs all throughout the state of Michigan. What situation do you think pulls more weight? Granted, this is just one situation, but if you don't think that the alumni base at a BCS school and the popularity of BIG TIME college football will help get that kid a better job faster, then you don't really know or want to believe how things work.

Again, good luck to Mr. McCray. It was a joy to watch you play in the SOC and I know that you will make the decision that is best for you and your future. Scioto County is behind you.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

I remember when Jared Zwick was at OSU. When Troy Smith beat him out as the starting QB, he was aksed why he didn't transfer. His response was "I'll have a degree from Ohio State. Why would I leave?" He knew that there would be doors opened to him because he played for the Buckeyes that wouldn't be opened if he went somewhere else.

Return to “Football”