Scary Night in Athens County

indianabuck
All State

Scary Night in Athens County

Post by indianabuck »

I was listening to my scanner and within 10 minutes head ambulance call to Athens High School and Federal Hocking High School for head/neck injuries. I saw on here the player was from Nelsonville-York at Athens. Not sure where the player was at Fed. My prayers go out to both players and hope for a speedy recovery.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Re: Scary Night in Athens County

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

indianabuck wrote:I was listening to my scanner and within 10 minutes head ambulance call to Athens High School and Federal Hocking High School for head/neck injuries. I saw on here the player was from Nelsonville-York at Athens. Not sure where the player was at Fed. My prayers go out to both players and hope for a speedy recovery.
I'm not positive but I believe the squad was for the same Trimble player #5 who was injured a couple of weeks ago and was removed by squad in that game. From what I hear he complained of a severe head ache after the game and was taken for observation due to his previous injury.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Any news on the kid from NY???

And Atown is right it's the same kid from Trimble

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

The boy from Nelsonville-York was taken to the hospital as precaution but he was released and is OK

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

Isn't there supposed to be EMS personnel on site for games anyway? Why are they having to call out for ambulances?

Sure in this case both young men were okay, but what happens if the next time its something more serious? The few minutes it takes for the ambulance to get to the field from the EMS station vs. just a few seconds from the corner of the stadium could make the difference in someone having a next game or next season and not.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

This one reminds me of an old but true story -- Logan was on the road and playing down at old Pomeroy H.S. in an SEOAL game later in the season. Weather patterns rolled into SEO and a huge fog bank developed on the Ohio River and the Pomeroy field was close to it and became engulfed . My parents were at the game and said you couldn't see the other sidelines or stands and depending on where the ball was marked, often you couldn't see players and action on a far hash mark placement. On the field, we players could see one another except when separated by 30 yds or so and every punt, kick or high pass went up into a fog cloud and disappeared until it came down often with a comedy of results. The game was over 4 hours long because there were multiple serious injuries and the one ambulance had to keep coming back and taking players to the hospital and we had to wait for that ambulance. First one of the Crow brothers from Pomeroy ( Rick, was their Center and who later played & started for O.U.) suffered a compound fracture of his lower leg with the bone sticking out. Really ugly. This took awhile to get him loaded up on the playing field and sent to the hospital. Later, as one of our RB was scoring on a run, a DB tried to tackle him at the endzone and the field had old wire springs holding up the endzone flag markings. Kid slid acroos that wire and cut his throat just missing his jugular but there was blood everywhere. Now the ambulance was called back and we waited on the field till it got back, loaded up and let the game start again. Then I was involved in a helmet to helmet collision with a Pomeroy RB and he got knocked out cold. They were afraid to move him for fear of a neck injury and the concussion, so we waited while they called the ambulance back to pick him up off the field. Later found no neck injury and was fine but it was a very long time with only one ambulance that had to keep coming back to take care of players. And often the crowd on one side or the other couldn't see what had happened to whom or why the game was being delayed while waiting for the ambulance. Chiefs won that night 24-12.

eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

There is no requirement to have on site EMS for high school football in Ohio. In many areas, EMS is a volunteer service. However Athens County has a paid EMS service that provides six paramedic staffed EMS units 24/7. They try to make it out to the games on Friday nights if run volume allows, but they are not "dedicated" to the event, ie they leave if they get a call. Of the six ambulances in the county, two are in Athens which covers The Plains, hometown of the Bulldogs. The school could always contract with the county EMS service, or another private ambulance service to have a "dedicated" truck at the games.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

The old SEOEMS service tried to keep a unit at all football games in their service areas, including middle school, JV, and Midget League, but usually these units were still on area-wide call & had to go on other calls as well. Paramedic units are not cheap, with each one often having some $100K invested in it, as well as the costs of personnel, medical supplies, fuel, & vehicle maintenance. Most of our area does not have enough $$ to have a "dedicated" unit at every sports event, plain-n-simple.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Glad to hear that young man is ok.

Return to “Football”