Shout out to the Refs of the Athens-Fairland game

fortdawg
All Conference

Shout out to the Refs of the Athens-Fairland game

Post by fortdawg »

The last 2 years I have watched official after official be, just if not more, concerned that a coach has a toe on the field than they are in what's happening with the players. It was refreshing last night to watch the Fairland coaches go out past the numbers play after play. They weren't involved in slowing or hindering play---just coaching. The game was fun to watch. It would be nice if they went back to letting coaches coach.

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Re: Shout out to the Refs of the Athens-Fairland game

Post by OneHitWonder »

The same officials who allowed the Fairland players to kick, knee, grab spit on and continually berate our athletes as well as use racial slurs throughout the game. The same officials who called three Athens TDs back. THESE are the guys you want to give a shout out to for "allowing" the Fairland Coaches to disregard the rules of the game so they could COACH.
I THINK NOT!!!

94dragons
Waterboy

Post by 94dragons »

They called TD's back because your boys were holding on every play. That's the only way they could run the ball against the Dragons defense. You have a very talented team, but have some very desrespectful fans and players. You can't deal with the fact that a small DV school played right with you last night. Tell your players to stay off tweeter cussing the fairland students before you worry about the fairland boys.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I didn't realize Fairland was so small ... wasn't both Athens and Fairland competing in the same DII district basketball tournament at the Convo the past two winters? Fairland can't be that much smaller 1st of all ... and 2nd, I have been watching this group at Athens for two years now and have never seen a negative remark made about them. Not once.

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

94DRAGONS wrote:They called TD's back because your boys were holding on every play. That's the only way they could run the ball against the Dragons defense. You have a very talented team, but have some very desrespectful fans and players. You can't deal with the fact that a small DV school played right with you last night. Tell your players to stay off tweeter cussing the fairland students before you worry about the fairland boys.
Not true. Fairland has an outstanding group of athletes and a fine football team. Best skill kids we will face all year. They gave Athens all they wanted last night. That doesn't change the fact that they were cheep disrespectful and by some reports made several racial comments during the game. You should be ashamed. So now that we have established that we both think that each other's fans and Players are a%#^\ there's really only one thing left to say.
Athens 55 Fairland 46.
GAME OVER!!!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I think the refs just didn't want Athens to score 100. Athens wouldn't do that to Fairland. First half was fun, second half was sad. Made for a long boring night. But a win is a win. I did like the concession stand

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

93Bulldog wrote:Fairland can't be that much smaller
http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/201 ... 013-14.pdf

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Fairland 202 boys ... Athens 297 boys ... holly cow what a difference ... Athens might have 95 boys in the band, soccer, tennis and cross country combined who have never played football in their lives.

297-to-202 ... really? ... go talk to Pickerington, who has around 600 boys and have to compete in DI against teams like St. Ignatius who have over 1,000.

I love the perception when it comes to this stuff ... six months ago Fairland and Athens were on the same level and considered in the 'big school division' when they made it to the D2 district semi-finals on the basketball court. The season changes and all of sudden Fairland is this "little" school compared to the "big" school of Athens.

It makes no sense what so ever.

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

None of my business but it could have to do with there only being four divisions in basketball!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

on a mission wrote:None of my business but it could have to do with there only being four divisions in basketball!!
I know this.

But that's what is funny about the perception ... Fairland and Athens are considered the same size when snow is on the ground - but Athens is soooooo much bigger when its 75 degrees outside.

bubba_smurf
Waterboy

Post by bubba_smurf »

It does make a difference in football.you play eleven at a time in football,five in basketball.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

93Bulldog wrote:
on a mission wrote:None of my business but it could have to do with there only being four divisions in basketball!!
I know this.

But that's what is funny about the perception ... Fairland and Athens are considered the same size when snow is on the ground - but Athens is soooooo much bigger when its 75 degrees outside.
It is a big difference. When your whole team is 10 or 12 for basketball as opposed to 50 or 60 for football.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The roster we received from Fairland had 41 players listed.
The roster for Athens has 42 players.

I don't care how many boys you have in your school ... I care how many can run, pass, catch and tackle ... Athens had 42 "football players" - Fairland had "41 football players" - and that's all that matters.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

93Bulldog wrote:The roster we received from Fairland had 41 players listed.

I don't care how many boys you have in your school ... I care how many can run, pass, catch and tackle ... Athens had 42 "football players" - Fairland had "41 football players" - and that's all that matters.

Agree

CavsFan08
JV Team

Post by CavsFan08 »

How many teacher/coaches does Athens have?

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Here's an idea, if you're going to gripe about it then don't schedule Athens. If you put them on the schedule, you have no excuses if you lose to them.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Besides, they could have 20 guys in there school and if one of them is Joey Burrow and the another is Trae williams then you are probably still screwed if you have to play them. It's not everyone elses fault that every stinking town in Lawrence County has to have their own school district.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

93Bulldog wrote:The roster we received from Fairland had 41 players listed.

Not sure about Fairland, but Athens also has 23 or so 9th grade football players who are not on their 42 player varsity roster. So that bumps them up 65 players. That is a bunch more than 41.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

BlizzardMan wrote:Here's an idea, if you're going to gripe about it then don't schedule Athens. If you put them on the schedule, you have no excuses if you lose to them.
they are only playing this year. Best team from SEO since 2000 Logan. Like them, no one in SEO wants to play them until burrow is gone. Ppl from Fairland told me all night they were scared Athens was gonna score 80 or 90 on them. Which they did I guess. Not Athens fault, worst thing u can do against Athens is score. Gotta keep it under 30

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i'd like to see ironton and Athens lacing it back up in the future.

Return to “Football”