Portsmouth vs. Chillicothe rivalry ending?

datchillicav
JV Team

Portsmouth vs. Chillicothe rivalry ending?

Post by datchillicav »

I heard recently from someone whom I trust that this will be the last year that Portsmouth and Chillicothe will play in football for the forseeable future. From what I gathered this is mostly due to simple scheduling conflicts now that both teams are in different league's with Chillicothe moving to the SCOL.

How can one of the most storied and longest rivalries in Southern Ohio just be allowed to fall by the wayside because it would be inconvenient to continue to play. I know that both programs are down recently and I also know that the rivalry has been somewhat one-sided recently mostly do to the rapidly decreased enrollment at both schools but especially Portsmouth but this is unacceptable in my opinion.

Something should be done to preserve this rivalry. According to www.wbex.com, the Trojans and Cavaliers have met 80 times and Portsmouth leads the overall series 45-31-4. By my calculations that means that in another 14 years this series will be tied at 45 a piece. JK. In all seriousness though, this rivalry must be continued. It is the biggest rivalry for Chillicothe and for Portsmouth has to be either number 1 or number 2 with Ironton.

Call your AD's and write your congressmen! Save the rivalry!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Portsmouth vs. Chillicothe rivalry ending?

Post by noreply66 »

I'm thinking next year Wilmington enters the league with Chillicothe so that would be a game the would have to drop to play them. That would give them 7 league games with three non-league.

Does anyone know how long they will be playing Johnstown Monore, Big Walnut and Teays Valley?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Portsmouth vs. Chillicothe rivalry ending?

Post by trojandave »

datchillicav: I am in total agreement with you about preserving the Portsmouth--Chillicothe rivalry, not just in football but in basketball as well, although I think the hoops battles will go on for a long time, given that there are more non-conference games to fill. I know that Coach Collins in basketball wants to keep the Cavaliers on the Trojans basketball schedule, but I don't have a pulse on the football situation.

Right now, Chillicothe has 381 boys compared to 187 for Portsmouth, which gives the Cavaliers quite an advantage in the important numbers game, but as a Portsmouth alumnus, Chillicothe should always be on the Trojans' schedule.

Return to “Football”