ironton-west scrimmage this morning

jeffie4545
Freshman Team

ironton-west scrimmage this morning

Post by jeffie4545 »

anyone know how the tigers did in the scrimmage ?????????

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: ironton-west scrimmage this morning

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Just my point of view :)

It was a good scrimmage for both Teams.

The Tigers ran the Spread out of the Shot Gun most of the scrimmage, did pretty well considering how long they've been running it. The Tigers Line with it's size needs to start making some holes for the RB's to get through (running up the middle seemed to be their biggest weakness IMO). Irontons passing game looked pretty good, yes I said passing game. The Tigers Defense has to pick it up a notch against the run, especially up the middle. The Tigers defended the pass fairly well with a couple picks, but that's not Wests strength.

West did a good job of stopping the Tigers running game up the middle, even being smaller on the Line their quickness showed on Defense against the run. They didn't fair as well against Irontons Passing game. On Offense, West moved the ball pretty well running the ball which will be their strength. West has some good looking RB's and the Line looked pretty good. West biggest problem was penalties, they clean up the penalties and they will be a pretty solid Team.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

I was there and have to agree with ohbuckeye2. Ironton's power running game is just not there. Their sucess on the gound came from the option and QB runs off the pass. Ironton did have a couple nice passes that netted good yardage. They have a nice running back that has good speed, they just need to get him the blocks to get him to the second level.

West shook it up on both sides of the ball with some new looks. On offense they run a lot out of the slot. Early on they showed they were willing to take some shots down the field with the passing game. If they can work out some of the kinks it could be effective part of the offense. The running game looked good. The biggest question coming in was the lack of size on the line. They are quick off the ball and strong. Pass blocking needs tweaked a little but need bad for a primarily running team. On defense they came out in a 4 man front utilizing their quickness up front. The inside backers were key in stopping Irontons inside running game. Outside backers did well stretching plays out to the sidlines limiting a lot of big running plays. The pass D looked look at times but there were some breakdowns giving Ironton some big plays. Biggest problem I saw was containing the Qb on the roll out letting him pull it down picking up big yards on the gound including a long TD run.

All and all a good scrimmage by both teams!

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Yes this was a good scrimmage. I disagree on a few key points.First on penlties. In a real game Irontons QB would of been thrown out and a West player shoved in retaliation so he should of recieved 15 yd penalty. The screen pass thrown by Ironton for a td was illegal formation and a hold. : One interception at Varsity thrown. Irontons QB ran option well. West got better as scrimmage progressed. Ironton looked better at beginning of scrimmage. In my opinion West looked like an Ironton team and Ironton looked like a spread team. West secondary is alot better than last year already. The back for Ironton has ability but di d not get anywhere.West back look tough and would not go down the last series. West QB has more ability than what I saw I think..Both teams have some players.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

I agree West secondary is better than last year. Once the outside backers get a better feel for the new Defense( which I loved by the way) they will have a very soild unit. West Qb does have ability shown by hitting the reciever in stride for the long TD.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

It's hard to take anything from a scrimmage. I wish we had another to make adjustments, but I thought West looked good. The defense did great at plugging the middle with a four man front. Yeah there were some breakdowns at the back end, but we have athletes there. Those can be corrected. I just hate going into the season basically down a game or two in experience to fairland. Let's hope that doesn't come back to bite us.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

The RB for Ironton with the speed was Sophomore Jacob Long

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

A weak west team and 2 series from our starters??? Qb getting tossed?? Cb tackling and punching at the ball 3-4 yds out of bounds??? You make the call but I feel like ironton vs west first team;;; ironton does what,when,and how many! The first possession followed by a few yds by west and then the 2nd with the qb being tossed in ur opinion. This game if played today would have been a bad day in west history! Ironton is at least a three Td winner vs west! I feel that's a very conservative number as well! JMO

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

on a mission wrote:A weak west team and 2 series from our starters??? Qb getting tossed?? Cb tackling and punching at the ball 3-4 yds out of bounds??? You make the call but I feel like ironton vs west first team;;; ironton does what,when,and how many! The first possession followed by a few yds by west and then the 2nd with the qb being tossed in ur opinion. This game if played today would have been a bad day in west history! Ironton is at least a three Td winner vs west! I feel that's a very conservative number as well! JMO
You my friend evidently were sitting in the parking lot watching this game Ironton had one two decent runs all day and one on those was a pass play. I tried to be nice about it earlier but Irontons down line man couldnt stop a much smaller front 4 of West. If this game was down and distance Ironton doesnt even score. West ran the ball at will between the tackles and ironton couldnt do nothing but hang on for the ride. And the CB tackling outof bounds started in bounds and their momentum carried them out of bounds and the QB from Ironton came up swinging. But I never expected a Ironton supporter to see past their own rose colored glasses.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Funny, I was trying to be nice earlier also. On a mission must not know the game. Ironton threw at times 3 and 4 times in a row for incompletions and did not fair well on the run. They did well on a couple big plays including one interception. On downs, the ball would of been turned over..From what I saw, Ironton players were tiring, some throwing up... West players seemed to get their legs as the game went.The last series West ran all over Ironton gaining 8, 10, 20 yds a carry. AND Yes first shoving a player on the ground then blatantly kicking same player will get you an ejection every time.In fact, the ref TOSSED the QB out for a couple plays, and the West player also for getting up and shoving back, which is usually not any ejection, but a 15 yd penalty. Ironton QB is athletic. He has to learn to keep his cool, in my opinion. So does the West player.
Two starters for West did not play, I believe, not sure if that is correct.
That said, both teams had some talent. Ironton has some speed for sure. I thought the big line Ironton had would dominate the little West line. Did not happen. Ironton run game was lacking. Still Ironton backs are going to get some holes, they are very talented and with experience,going to be hard to stop.
This was just a scrimmage and doesn't count for squat.
I think both teams should be pleased overall with where they are at.
Ironton elected to have the scrimmage run this way.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

urban buck I know for sure White did not play. Not sure if there was anyone else out or not.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Ironton will be ok. But with their schedule they may be looking at a .500 or possibly a 6-4 season. They have talent.

Ironton still has 2 experienced 300 pound tackles and west stuffed the inside run from a 4 man front. That's encouraging to west and has to be very discouraging to ironton. Ironton is making a change to pass more, but when they have to go 4 and 5 wide to move the ball. Ironton is not typical ironton.

How can you decide who would win a game with no down and distance and no scouting. Its a scrimmage.

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

6-8 plays and the same defense all day. Very vanilla!

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

Still though, it will be a rocky road.

Endzone_Warrior
Varsity

Post by Endzone_Warrior »

Like was stated earlier, it was a scrimmage. Most teams don’t come out swinging with there whole playbook in a scrimmage anyhow, so yes it's gonna be very vanilla. Both have tough match ups Week 1 and that’s where you get an idea where each team stands. On a side note, great to hear West having success against the Tigers!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Its my personal opinion and I hate to say it. I love West football and have a great deal of respect for Ironton football program but I think both teams will struggle at times this season. With Ironton very tough schedule there going to have to play very good football to have success this season but are very capable of doing so.
With West we need to cut down the penalties and turnovers and do a lot better on pass defense which I think we can. I think both teams have a pretty good chance of being good football teams. Only time will tell. Good luck to both programs hope for a injury free successfull season maybe if everything goes right we might see each other in the playoffs both teams are capable of doing so.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

That is the Key to word Scrimmage both teams are working to get into game shape and get their timing down for plays.
Neither knew what to expect and probably was more worried about their own execution than if they would have won or not.
Ironton will be fine even with a tough schedule 7-3 would be a great record to pull off and they can if they play up to their skills.
West do not know enough about them so can not say how they will do.
Hope the best for both teams and hope both can avoid injuries and have winning and proud seasons.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

That is why they play the game luvbigcats. Scrimmages are to work on weaknesses. Still 2 weeks left till season. West needs to know they have as good a shot as any team winning the SOC and outperforming any team. It won't be easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is. Work like there is no tomorrow, take it a day at a time. If they want to achieve it, they have to believe it.Lets hope you teach your 3rd grader that before long Luv.lol.Good Luck West.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Its gonna take a while for west to get their rotations down with the db's and linebackers. This defense is totally different from the 50 looks they are used to playing. Ironton out numbered west with the trips formation. That's a correctible mistake.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

It is great to read all about the coaches on here.

Ironton by far is the best team in the area and there is no question about it. No one could ever play with the great teams of Ironton from WEST. LOL!!! I thought it was good scrimmage and West is better for the scrimmage.

Good luck both team.

Return to “Football”