Region 17

fbfever9
Freshman Team

Region 17

Post by fbfever9 »

This looks like it could be an interesting region. There are some "traditional" powers and some teams that have gotten very good in the last 5-10 years. However, of the 27 teams, only SEVEN had a winning record last year. 5 of those teams made it to the Regional Semi's or farther. Some of these teams I am just not familiar with at all. 12 of these teams had 2 or fewer wins last year. Any thoughts or insights people may have in regards to returning starters/experienced players would be great. So, here is the list of teams with their records from last year:

Mt. Gilead 2-8
Coshocton 2-8
St. Clairsville 14-1
Martins Ferry 5-5
Union Local 1-9
Wellston 4-6
South Point 1-9
Fairland 5-5
Rock Hill 1-9
Chesapeake 5-5
Ironton 7-4
J. Northridge 2-8
W. Musk 0-10
Alexander 4-6
River Valley 2-8
Liberty Union 11-3
Bish. Hartley 13-1
Westfall 9-2
Waverly 2-8
Piketon 9-3
Zane Trace 4-6
Adena 3-7
C. Southeast 1-9
P. Northwest 0-10
P. West 4-6
Portsmouth 1-9
Wheelersburg 8-3

** Refence: www.joeeitel.com
Last edited by fbfever9 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

maniac66
All State

Re: Region 17

Post by maniac66 »

Going to be a tough Region to get out of I believe. Burg will be tough as well as St. Clairsville not to mention Ironton should be a better.
Bish. Hartley and Westfall will be ready to play as well.
Tough Region for all teams be interesting to follow say the least.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Here's a start......

Columbus Hartley (13-1, Region 14 Champions): The Hawks lost in the State semifinals last year to D-IV state champion Clinton-Massie. Hartley returns seven starters on offense and five on defense.

Baltimore Liberty-Union (11-3, Region 19 champions): LU lost to Kirtland in the D-V state semifinals. Returning is Senior RB Jacob Basso (5-11, 180) who ran for 1,683 yards and 17 TDs and caught 24 passes (for 310 yards). senior QB Auston Vannatta threw for over 1,000 yards and six TDs and junior RB Adam Snyder ran for eight TDs. LU returns 7 on the Defensive side of the ball.

Wheelersburg (8-3, Region 19 quarterfinalist): The Pirates return a ton of talent. They return seven offensive and eight Defensive starters including seniors Eddie Miller (QB), Tyler Claxon (WR) and Dylan Miller (WR). Other key returners include: Sam Robinson, Christian Ellis, Michael Staggs, Chase Chambliss, Austin May and Mitchell Warner. The defense led by senior DE Cam Parsley (6-2, 205)

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Fairland will have talent and unknown as far as coaching, Bishop Hartley speaks for itself, West will have talent and be tough, Burg will alos, Waverly will improve but not enough, Portsmouth will have talent and an unknown as far as coaching.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Almost forgot, Liberty Union will be tough too.

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

After the top 3 teams (Hartley, St. Clairs, Liberty Union) the region looks open. It will be interesting to see how it plays out!

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

i will take a wildly uneducated guess

1. bishop hartley
2. wheelersburg
3.st clairsville
4. liberty union
5. piketon
6. ironton
7.portsmouth west
8. zane trace

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Spoke with a Portsmouth alum the other day. Said Trojans are going to surprise everyone, going to be tough to beat.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

It will be very interesting to see how everything shakes out this year.
Last edited by noles_fan on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

urban buck wrote:Spoke with a Portsmouth alum the other day. Said Trojans are going to surprise everyone, going to be tough to beat.
From what I heard they didn't have a very good turn out for summer conditioning. They think coming out and running the option is going to surprise people. The surprise is going to be when their QB who has never run the option in a game realizes that it is a whole lot different than practice.

fbfever9
Freshman Team

Post by fbfever9 »

kvnchambers wrote:i will take a wildly uneducated guess

1. bishop hartley
2. wheelersburg
3.st clairsville
4. liberty union
5. piketon
6. ironton
7.portsmouth west
8. zane trace
Based on what bits I know (which is less than previous years), I would say your "uneducated guess" may be pretty descent come season's end.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

I am more inclinced to believe noles than an alum from Portsmouth.

fbfever9
Freshman Team

Post by fbfever9 »

ttt

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

After the top 3 teams (Hartley, St. Clairs, Liberty Union) the region looks open.
I don't exactly see it that way. On any given year there'll be a few shifts and battles for a couple final slots, but based on recent history I see a number of spots already given to certain schools.

St. Clairsville
Ironton
Liberty Union
Bishop Hartley
Westfall
Wheelersburg

That's 6/8 slots right out of the gate. Then on any given year you have Martins Ferry, Fairland, Waverly, Piketon, West and Portsmouth with an "inside track" to the dance. All in all, this is going to be a very tough region to get in to the playoffs. What I really enjoy about this division, long-term, is that it should breed playoff rivalries. With the same teams most likely making it the majority of years we will see the same match-ups and an evolution to compete against each other.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Ridiculously tough region. Thought the seventh division was gonna make it easier?

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

the seventh division will make it easier in a lot of area of the state but not the southeast. not one southeast school is division 1 and i think there is one that is division 2. there are not even that many that are d3 anymore. so i think the playoff travel for these regions will actually overall be a little less. but now i think there is a lot more competition for the spots that the southeast will get in the playoffs. very likely less teams from this are may make it in but i think they will fare better once in after a couple of years.

you have to think 72 teams were moved out of the remaining divisions and none of them were from southeast.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

i think rock hill and river valley will be much improved this yer but not quite at playoff level both could easily be 5-5 this year or better. To all the Portsmouth fans out there don't get down on your coach if he does not turn things around quickly. i think that team could be 100% better then last year and still only win 1 or 2 games. but i think you will be improved. i don't see a lot of wins for you but i see you being competitive a lot of weeks.

fe2000lbs
Waterboy

Post by fe2000lbs »

siderman wrote:Ridiculously tough region. Thought the seventh division was gonna make it easier?
This region is far from "ridiculously tough". You're giving way to many teams to much credit.

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

fe ..... I agree with you. Time will tell just how tough the region is. I still believe after the top 3 ... things are open.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

http://www.jjhuddle.com/news/articles/2 ... 7-overview

There's a link to the jjhuddle preview for the region. Its a tough region

Return to “Football”