Portsmouth West Football for 2013 Good?Bad or Ugly?

jagered
JV Team

Portsmouth West Football for 2013 Good?Bad or Ugly?

Post by jagered »

let me hear what to expect.

sider
All Conference

Re: Portsmouth West Football for 2013 Good?Bad or Ugly?

Post by sider »

It is West football so its always going to be ugly :122245.

However, we should have a solid year. Good group of Seniors, have had success going through pee-wee, jr high, Frosh/Jv. Classic West side group, not extremely fast or athletic, but strong, big, and tough.

I would look for us to be around 8-2. At very worst 6-4, at best 10-0. I said the same thing about last year, but that group vastly underachieved as Seniors.
Minford, Burg, Liberty-Union, and Valley will be games that can either way. This may draw debate, but I do think we will beat Portsmouth this year. I like our match-up vs. Burg, but I don't like our match-ups vs. Valley and Minford.

Either way, I think we will contend for the league and be in the playoffs. You know never know, maybe something great is happening right now and we will win all 10!

jagered
JV Team

Post by jagered »

thanks and I guess we will wait and see

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

Sider, I like your take on the SOC games. The Valley and Minford games will be tough because they are both very physical teams. Their guys upfront will hit you in the mouth and keep hitting you the whole game. It will be 2 teams knocking the crap out of each other. Those two games will be slugfest and probably be determined by turnovers. The Burg game will come down to big plays! Burg skilled kids are talented but not physical. If you can stay close and hit them til they wear down, physical teams will have a good chance against them.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Exactly BB #26. We have had a lot of trouble with Valley, because they have been just as physical as us and have out-coached us. Physicality and good defense is what we hang our hat on, if you can out hit us and put up 21 +, were probably not going to win. However, it has been very close with Valley every game we have played since 06 (other than 08 and 12).

We always do very well against Wing-T teams. Our style of defense is the best way to stop wing-t teams, and our record against them has shown this. But, more talent oftens beats coaching. Right now I think us and minford are very even. They have the McCray kid who is a stud, but other than that they have a bunch of good tough athletes, which is what we have.

Burg will not be an easy task this year. If we can impose our will on them, we can win, but that will be easier said than done. And with the athletes they have, they are always one play away from a touchdown.

I'm excited for this year, we will be too good and too motivated to have two consecutive losing seasons. If we ever want to be regarded as a great program (again), we have to establish consistency. I hope we can bounce back this year.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Valley has out ref'ed in a close one with West, once blatantly, in a game at Valley. The only other game I saw them play West was at West and West beat them by 3o or 40, that must of been in 08? I don't know much about West this year, they are always physical. I don't think Valley will be lucky enough to 3peat this year, just haven't heard much talk yet on any of the teams. Looking forward to some SOC FOOTBALL!

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Go SOC, great league, 3 or 4 great high school coaches, great gates and rivals. Can't wait! Good Luck to West and Coach Trip! Can they win another gold football?
Last edited by urban buck on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Last year was a big disappointment for sure.

Have absolutely no idea how this year will go. Very tough schedule. We could play well and still go .500. Or we could win them all.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

I'm a Lawrence County resident and I have to say, the SOC has made me a believer in league play. It has all the right components. Makes for great year in football around these parts.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Valley, minford, and burg will all be really good. They all return a bunch of upperclassmen off of really goo teams. Liberty union is loaded. Beat valley last year and talking to their fans, they were really young. That's not including fairland and Portsmouth whom both were young and beat us last year

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

West should be really good too. Just have to see who wants it this year.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Looking at West schedule this year, I feel this could be the best one they have in a long time. It will be tough for them to win 8 games this year and what a great league this year. The SOC II could send 4 teams to the playoffs this year, depending on what each team does during league play.

Good Luck Coach-T, his staff and players.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

I would like to see us spread the field and take some more chances especially early on in the season. With having to replace Bennett and the Scott boys you could have some younger kids fighting for positions. I know there was some who stepped up last year to fill in for injuries last year. It is easier to pass block than run block, I just think it would help the young guys get there legs under them. Plus as tough as the conference is going to be this year we are going to need to be able to get the ball down the field as many ways as possible.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

We should have fairly good speed. Qb has most of year of experience and throws the ball well. We won't be real big but the line should be athletic.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

We will probably have the smallest line that we have had for years but they will be strong, physical and very athletic. The soc this year will probably be the strongest league in southeastern ohio.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

I agree 100% From top to bottom (with the exception of Northwest in there last year) the SOCII should be very competitive this year.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Was glad to see Zach Dials back kicking the football a few weeks ago. Have heard we have looked pretty good in the 7 on 7's we have attended.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

That's good to hear about Zach. He's a really good kicker.

Field goals are something that all of southern Ohio should focus on. Too many times I see teams get inside the 30 and go for it on 4th and long instead of kicking it. If you have someone like Zach that is capable.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Practise starts Monday I heard. How many kids will West have out this year? Does anyone know the number of Seniors on this years team?

THE G.O.A.T.
Freshman Team

Post by THE G.O.A.T. »

The conditioning program has really hit full swing lately from what I have heard.

Return to “Football”